Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to quit sugar ?!?!?!?

I know when I first met with my surgeon one of the questions was about my consumption of sweets.....my problem was more around portion sizes rather than the things I ate.....What he told me was if I had a preference for sweets and greasy or fried foods he would recommend bypass rather than the sleeve. With bypass you're likely to experience dumping if you eat those things and from what I understand it's pretty awful....He felt the sleeve would be perfect for helping to control my portions, but with it I will still need to ensure the things I do eat are the right things....although there are a small percentage of sleeve patients who experience dumping it's much more common with bypass......although it's considered a complication from surgery it's also sort of like a bonus tool.

With any WLS you have to make major lifestyle and eating changes.....I agree with @@OKCPirate a gradual cut back is easiest but it's important to also research each of the surgery options and ensure you pick the best surgery for your situation.

I really thought I would be getting bypass, knowing dumping would prevent me from eating sweets. I hate throwing up!!! However, my surgeon said I can't get the bypass because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and sometimes I have to take large doses of steroids. With bypass, there's a greater risk for ulcers with steroids. So..... The sleeve it is!

You just need to quit eating sweets. That includes all "fake" sugar too. It only takes a week or two and then you're home free! Sugar is like a drug, the more you consume, the more you want it. It's highly addicting. I kicked that habit quite a while ago, along with caffeine and alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I also make ice cream out of my Bariatric Advantage Protein powder with frozen berries and 8 Oz of vanilla light soy milk. That has been fabulous this summer. Still learning how to eat soft foods. Have to slow wayyyy down and pause during eating to watch out for too much air getting in. Burp until it eases. That part is no fun but part of the learning curve.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I meet with the NUT on Monday, so I'm going to discuss with her my needs and the best way to do it. Cold turkey or baby steps? With Diet Coke, I'll definitely have to go cold turkey. Monday will be my last Diet Coke and I'm already starting to mourn its' loss. Lol My husband is glad I'm giving it up. He's always talking about the negative consequences of diet soda. I just finished making my grocery list, so I will be stocking my fridge with healthy snacks; veggies, cheese, fruit. I love the idea of sugar-free pudding, Jello and popcycles, but I think with my need to eliminate sweets I have to give up artificial sweeteners too. I'm so glad I have such supportive friends on here!

I gave soda up after finding out I had a hiatal hernia. My doctor warned me nearly 4 years ago that my constant drinking of soda would damage my esophagus and give me heartburn (and I didn't listen). No More Sweets For Me. I got a wake up call...and I'm not ignoring it. I was told that Hiatal hernias can be made worse by consuming sugar, soda and bread.< /p>

Edited by Kimba Marie Angelina Wiggins

Hi, we can all relate to the sugar addiction. I had to go cold turkey and it wasn't as hard as I thought. For me the thought of no chocolate was worse than actually not having the chocolate Like they say "a body at rest tends to stay at rest" for me if I have a little sugar I want a lot of sugar. Obviously everyone's experience is different, if you ask my children, they will tell you I was grumpy, I will say I was transitioning. I wish you good luck.

Getting the stuff out of you system makes it easier to keep out. The sugar cravings ease off soon.

Upping your Water intake helps, too. Not sure why....but it did for me.

When the sugar cravings would hit hard....I'd have small cup of coffee and it helped a great deal, too.

After a few days you'll be on more stable ground.

I found it much easier to cut out all carbs at the same time as the sugars.

Getting the stuff out of you system makes it easier to keep out. The sugar cravings ease off soon.

When the sugar cravings would hit hard....I'd have small cup of coffee and it helped a great deal, too.

Was it tough cutting out the carbs?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not when I simply stopped 'em altogether.

Eating meats and small amounts of cheese during my meals kept me from being hungry in between meals.....this was during the time pre-op that led me up to my last two weeks before surgery.

Not when I simply stopped 'em altogether.

Eating meats and small amounts of cheese during my meals kept me from being hungry in between meals.....this was during the time pre-op that led me up to my last two weeks before surgery.

Cool. How far along are you on your journey?

I have done low carb over the years and am doing it now. I find not eating Pasta, bread and all other high glycemic foods help me not crave. If I do crave I eat watermelon or a piece of sugar free candy. I love Cookies, cake all of it so I understand. I won't even let people approach me with stuff at work anymore and they know not to now! Good luck to you. You can do it!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I'm finding I am craving SALT more than sugar.

One would thing that after five years, I would have a handle on this ,but I find that "Craving" is different from hunger (which I do NOT have).

The one thing that helps me from woofing down an entire bag of Lays is to eat some salty cheese, such as Feta.

Any other suggestions????

I'm finding I am craving SALT more than sugar.

One would thing that after five years, I would have a handle on this ,but I find that "Craving" is different from hunger (which I do NOT have).

The one thing that helps me from woofing down an entire bag of Lays is to eat some salty cheese, such as Feta.

Any other suggestions????

My go to is pork skins barbecue but I know that everyone doesn't like those.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App