Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to quit sugar ?!?!?!?

Getting the stuff out of you system makes it easier to keep out. The sugar cravings ease off soon.

Upping your Water intake helps, too. Not sure why....but it did for me.

When the sugar cravings would hit hard....I'd have small cup of coffee and it helped a great deal, too.

After a few days you'll be on more stable ground.

I found it much easier to cut out all carbs at the same time as the sugars.

I'm finding I am craving SALT more than sugar.

One would thing that after five years, I would have a handle on this ,but I find that "Craving" is different from hunger (which I do NOT have).

The one thing that helps me from woofing down an entire bag of Lays is to eat some salty cheese, such as Feta.

Any other suggestions????

Pickles!!! ????

Getting the stuff out of you system makes it easier to keep out. The sugar cravings ease off soon.

When the sugar cravings would hit hard....I'd have small cup of coffee and it helped a great deal, too.

One would thing that after five years, I would have a handle on this ,but I find that "Craving" is different from hunger (which I do NOT have).

The one thing that helps me from woofing down an entire bag of Lays is to eat some salty cheese, such as Feta.

Pickles!!!

Tried pickled everything. Vinegar is not the same as SALT to me. Sometimes, I just lick salt from a spoon. Yeah, I know----yuck. Kills the crave...

Speaking of pickles, any ideas on how soon post-op we can eat them? Pickles have been my favorite food all my life and I am pretty sure I would die without them. I've never really binged on them, but I would like to try them post-op just to see if I still have the taste for them.

Sent from my LG-H901 using the BariatricPal App

Hi Everyone,

I can honestly say I did not get to my current weight by eating large quantities of food. I got this way because I eat the WRONG foods! Even though I love vegetables and I do eat them, I eat WEIGH (ok, way, just a play on words), too many sweets! I truly believe I have an addiction. Just the thought of sweets make my mouth Water, and my mind stays focused on them until they are consumed. I can eat sweets until I physically feel ill. So, my question..... What have you all done to break your addiction to sweets? I meet with the dietitian next week, for my first consult. I want that to be my starting point of bidding adieu to candy, Cookies, ice cream, etc. I really need some help here!

Bonnie

My story is exactly the same as yours!

Was it tough cutting out the carbs?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not when I simply stopped 'em altogether.

Eating meats and small amounts of cheese during my meals kept me from being hungry in between meals.....this was during the time pre-op that led me up to my last two weeks before surgery.

Cool. How far along are you on your journey?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my sleeve in mid-October 2015.

Hmnnnnnnn. Sugar is my main enemy.

Salt, I no longer really fear, therefore I'll have some salty foods. I typically don't add salt but I do use rubs and such that have salt as a large component.

I don't fear it and I don't spare the rubs.

Maybe I should, though.

Upping your water intake helps, too. Not sure why....but it did for me.

My go to is pork skins barbecue but I know that everyone doesn't like those.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Pork skins are great !!!

The vending machines at work stock Dabo's hot & spicy Pork rinds. Good alternative to the other stuff in there for my goals as they are zero carb and have decent Protein (and fat for days, lol). I love 'em.

My life story, and it doesn't help because I love to bake in my spare time. No one in my family get store bought cakes n such cause I'm always doing birthdays. I've recently had to kick everything cold turkey, I find if I allow myself to cheat then it just grows until it's out of control agian. So 3 days ago I started on a low carb diet, no bread no Pasta no soda no junk no corn and fruit only occasionally. It's been hard I feel like crap, headaches tummy aches no energy. But I'm pushing through and hoping like hell that at the end of my first week it will get easier. So far I miss fruit alot. And soda but if found the fizzy flavored Water helps when I need a break from plain Water. I really hope the cravings go away soon to cause I'm ravenous it's hard to not give in between the thoughts of fried chicken, pizza & chocolate I might go crazy before surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I've been lurking on this site for a month or so now, thinking of surgery in January after my insurance changes.....like a lot of posters on this topic, my biggest challenge is with powerful cravings that I can't seem to fight. I don't have out of control hunger, I'm not an emotional eater, and aim not a binge eater.

I track my food, and can see patterns of these cravings ruining days/week long string of healthy eating. I'm worried surgery might be futile if the cravings are still with me.....or if they return 2+ years into maintenance.

As a last ditch effort while I wait for January, I started taking naltrexone (which is used in the diet drug Contrave- I can't take Contrave because of the Wellbutrin in it, so my dose of Naltrexone is usual dose they use for alcoholism).......and it has been amazing. I don't crave sugar/fat *at all* and also kicked a diet soda habit. I lost 10lbs this month with the same diet minus the crap I used to eat to satisfy the cravings.

I've never been a drinker but I do find it interesting to read that there is a link between WLS and alcohol abuse.

It's only been a month, so I can't speak to long term results....but so far I am enjoying being free from those cravings.

I notice, anytime I eat fast food, it's not too long after that, I crave something really sweet. Kinda makes you wonder what their putting in fast food.< /p>

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

That's what eating cards can do.

Avoiding them altogether is easier for many people.

I was the world's worst sugar addict!!! I have learned along the way that my body does not do well with sugar. It makes me hungry and tired and fat. I went through a LOT of worry and uncertainty about how I would ever let it go, though. I honestly tried to just love myself fat and accept my body, etc. etc. All just so I could keep my beloved sugar. When it became a health issue, I had to face it head on. I became prediabetic and just could not get the weight off. I had to do a lot of work on my issues with food; it was my favorite way to cope. Fast-forward to today, and I can honestly say that I am so happy to have made peace with giving up the sugar. It takes a while, it's hard, but SO worth it. You will feel better, I promise. Your palate will change over time. I recently ate a couple of bites of Key Lime pie on vacation, and I felt ill afterward. I couldn't wait to get back to my sugar-free self again! I was so shocked! The sugar sacrifice became my preference, not a punishment. I feel free. I enjoy fruit a great deal (still limited, but it's my treat now) because I still love sweet things, just not cane sugar. Be patient with it, and know that you will succeed if you keep trying! sugar free popsicles are very good when cravings hit, by the way. Hang in there!!

@@Armygalbonnie,

You’ve gotten some great tips here! One of the best ways for a lot of people to get over a sugar addiction is to quit cold turkey. Staying away from sweets can really help you stop craving them.

You’ve also gotten good ideas about making the healthy foods more available. Think of all the times you would normally grab a sweet – a candy, some Cookies, etc. – and have a substitute available that is ready to eat. Maybe you can have string cheese instead of a chocolate bar, sugar-free gum instead of candy, popcorn or grapes or apple slices instead of Cookies, and frozen bananas, stewed apples or pears with cinnamon, or refrigerator oatmeal with cinnamon instead of ice cream. Celery is always good for mindless munching.

Be honest with yourself – if brownies are sitting next to unpeeled whole carrots, you’re not going to choose the carrots. But if brownies aren’t in the house and all you see are ready-to-eat baby carrots or peeled carrots cut in sticks, it’ll be easier to eat the carrot sticks.

So, keep ready to eat health foods on hand. Wash and peel and cut produce. Don’t (unless you want to!) feel the need to make elaborate healthy Snacks. You can always depend on hard-boiled eggs, single-serve items like yogurt and string cheese and beef Jerky, and Nature’s fast food – oranges, apples, and bananas, for example!

A lot of quitting sugar is getting in the habit. It’ll get easier after as little as a few days or weeks, and the nice thing is that you may find some new, healthy favorite foods. Good luck!

I tried these the other day and they're pretty good!

https://www.amazon.com/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Variety-Including/dp/B00WSZHLE8/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470012865&sr=8-3&keywords=quest+chips+protein