Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post Op... Don't even feel like I had a surgery...

I thought I'd just put my story out there so far. So many times we read about the the surgeries that have complications..... which scared me so bad. I thought I'd give a happy outcome!

I started my process in November by going to the group meeting then meeting with my surgeon. I had to go through the 6 months of doctor visits and of course all the health screening tests. I was approved by my insurance company Anthem BCBC in less than a week. Finally I was given my surgery date, 6 weeks out. I felt like that was forever far away.. but time went fast! I was put on two week liquid diet. The first few days were a test for me for sure, but I stuck with it because I knew if I cheated my liver wouldn't shrink as much as possible. I was lucky enough that I had no comorbidities and I wasn't on any medications.

My surgery was Thursday the 21st at 8:30 am. I was back to my room by like 2pm. I felt fine, just real groggy and tired. I wasn't really in pain though. I feel like the gas "pain" was like when you eat too much food, and it burns right at your sternum area... all you want to do is poop to relieve that pressure. That is how I felt. The first time I tried to stand up I started dry heaving, so I stayed laying down. ... well sitting up as far up as my hospital bed would let me. I had some pain meds in my IV, then later at night the meds they give to relieve some of the inner swelling to give the gas more room. My nurse told me that the actual pain med narcotic causes Constipation so I didn't want to take it. When I would feel the gas move around and get stuck somewhere uncomfortable, I'd move to get it moving... then I felt fine again. Friday I woke up feeling great, in the afternoon at some point the gas really stuck somewhere for probably like 45 min, that was the worst of it for me. I just kept making laps out in the hallway to get it to move. Saturday I was up feeling amazing, I had a bowel movement, drank Water, my first Protein Shake, and some Soup. Since I was able to keep it all down I was released to go home. I honestly did not even feel like I had surgery at all. That night I started staying at a clients house with their pets. (I own a pet sitting business). I felt fine. I think the worst thing was having the drain tube removed. I was mostly just sleepy because in the hospital they are taking blood, checking monitors, checking blood sugar.. blood pressure.. ect like every hour so I got NO sleep there!! I did still take this week off of my accounting job to give myself time to get used to drinking what I need when I need.

Today is monday, so 4 days post op. I honestly do not even feel like I had a surgery. Obviously I have the bandages over my six incision spots.... but I feel amazing! I think I feel so thankful that my surgeon belonged to a bariatric center of excellence. The nurse told me they have a lot more hoops to jump through, even the hospital rooms had to be special for the patient to heal in... and no sharing of rooms!! whew. I think that would be one of my biggest suggestions... follow your preop diet exact.. and if you don't have a surgeon yet, try to find one that is certified with the bariatric center of excellence.

I can't wait to continue on this journey!!

Congrats and so happy to hear all went well! We have to prepare for the possible complications going in, and it's wonderful when you come through without a hitch.

I'm a year out and I had the same experience. It was my first surgery ever and everything was so much easier than I'd expected.

Best of luck to you!

YAY! I always love to see someone like you who clearly had a easy couple of first days and shares it. My experience was identical to yours so I know there are a lot of us out there.

I am happy to hear you are home and recovering nicely. I hope that things continue to move forward at a nice even pace and you will be reaping the rewards just as quickly.

I honestly never struggled having this surgery. I simply followed doctors orders and tried my hardest to get all my fluids in. The trick is staying well hydrated in the first several weeks. If you can do that, you will be in great shape.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. I am excited for this new wonderful life you just began!

Glad you had a great experience! I did too! I told my husband, if it wasn't for these incisions I wouldn't think I'd had surgery! Hope you continue to do well!

Thanks!!! Yes, I thought with all the horror stories of pain I wanted to share that they aren't all like that! I honestly feel so lucky.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations. ;) :) :P :D :lol: B) :rolleyes: ;-)

Congrats! I hope to have a story to tell just like you!!

I hope so too!!

I agree!!! I didn't even feel like I had surgery ;-) I also had a surgeon and bariatric Team that was accredited by the center of excellence ;-)

I have no regrets!!!!!

I think the worst part so far is gettibg your bowels on a regular schedule :-( I have had a lot of discomfort do to not being able to pass a bowel movement but that will come in time.

Congratulations to all of us who have made that leap! Its a big one!!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using the BariatricPal App

Amazing and I am a little jealous! Mine was done wed, so I am now 5 days post op and still sore. I had low bmi so I didn't have to do the preop diet but for a few days. Now my stomach feels like it is starving! I cant have any Protein shakes or anything but I see dr tomorrow so he will tell me if I can move on yet. I literally feel like I am just starving myself because I still cant get in the fluids. I was in hospital for 3 days because day 1 and 2 I was so doped up on morphine and couldn't stop vomiting and man that hurts!! I am not diabetic so almost everything is sugar free or Water with no worries. I did add a creamsicle in and almost ate the whole thing, and it took a while for my stomach to settle but atleast that hunger or what ever pain was gone finally!

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm in the waiting for insurance approval stage of having the sleeve and the possible complications are my biggest cause of anxiety about having wls.

Fingers crossed you're approved quickly!!

It's nice to see you post about your positive experience. Most times in life people tend to only talk about negative experiences and don't speak up for positive ones.

I am in similar boat. Had surgery 7-20-16 and tomorrow is a week. I feel fine. Only few new weird things like feel like I randomly get gas bubbles in my chest but it subsides in seconds. Today although I had 3 Protein shakes and 2 cups of chicken broth, I still feel hungry. Not sure if this is in my mind or what. I'm guessing it is. More than real hunger I think I'm just craving real food! Good luck with everything.

Had my surgery on 7/13/16, also had a great recovery. No vomiting or issues with gas. Followed all instructions and feel great. Now, I'm two weeks post-op and you would never know that i had surgery.

Joined a gym today to start increasing my exercise.

Good luck to all who have had surgery and pray for others to get insurance approvals and surgery dates. Take care.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App