Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight 4 weeks post op...

I feel devastated and depressed, for the past 2 weeks (since i started puree/soft food) I have been gaining weight, I eat what I am supposed to, I walk a mile a day and I just don't understand what's going on, the scales keep going up, I drink a minimum of 1ltr of Water a day, I'm not constipated, I eat 2 chicken breasts a day with gravy and that's it, I don't sneak food in, I'm taking my Vitamins, my metformin, I am honestly lost and feeling so sad, did I do all this for nothing? I've not had any meetings with my nurse or surgeon, they haven't even responded to my calls, I know there is usually the dreaded 3 week post op stall, but I just can't understand how I'm gaining, I got down to 13st 2lb and now I'm 13st 7lb, I'm sorry if this is not written well, I just really need some help and someone to talk to, I feel so alone and regretting my decisions.

@@GeorgiaLM How much Protein are you getting? You said you eat 2 chicken breasts with gravy - that's it. You may not be eating enough or frequently enough. It's possible you are retaining fluids. A liter is not enough fluids - you need at least 64 ozs - even more if exercising and are in a hot climate. I'm sorry your Team hasn't been responsive. At 4 weeks out - my plan is still puree (3-4ozs every 3 hours) and focus on protein. Stay strong - don't get discouraged!

@@KristenLe Thank you for responding! I get about 55g of Protein a day, I eat the chicken in 2 separate meals, according to MyFitnessPal, I get 286 cals a day and burn off 106 with exercise. Do you think I should add in another chicken breast? I could try drinking more, I don't really know how much 64oz is.

I think 286 cal is awfully low. I'm still pre-op but maybe others can chime in with their calorie target in this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Clarevoyant

@@KristenLe Thank you for responding! I get about 55g of Protein a day, I eat the chicken in 2 separate meals, according to MyFitnessPal, I get 286 cals a day and burn off 106 with exercise. Do you think I should add in another chicken breast? I could try drinking more, I don't really know how much 64oz is.

I think it's about 2 liters. That's not enough calories - your body is in starvation mode. Can you still drink Protein Shakes? You definitely need to eat more.

You definitely need to eat more. I'm 5 months post op and I gained 3 weeks ago. I immediately increased my calories from 600-700 a day to 800-900 a day. I lost the 2lb I gained plus 2 more the next week. You need to drink 2 litres a day. Don't be down. You're doing great. Each food stage change makes our bodies react. You'll stabilise when you're on solids. Are you in the UK?

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

@@Clarevoyant @@KristenLe @@madadams Thank you all for responding and helping me, I really appreciate it. I should eat more, I just have no idea what to eat, I'm terrified of calories, I'm scared of the fat and the sugar contents, do any of you have ideas of what to eat? I am in the UK madamadams, I'm not very good with measurements.

I'm in the UK too. Manchester. Things are different here. My dietician and surgeon don't like Protein shakes. They also tell me not to count calories/ fat/ carbs. They say to eat from all food groups. I have lost 5 stones in 5 months. I eat anything I want. But extremely small portions. Just don't worry. Experiment. I do count calories because I think it's important for me to keep a track on things. At puree stage I made bolognese sauce and pureed that then I froze it into ice cube trays. I had 2 cubes per meal. 1 rusk for Breakfast. Maybe something like potato hash pureed for dinner. With petit filous fromage frais and philadelphia light as Snacks.

Edited by madadams

@@madadams I'm in Birmingham! Can I ask how many calories you try and stick to?

Have a look at the following link. I had post op instructions from my team but I found this very helpful:

https://www.stgeorges.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/St-George%E2%80%99s-Hospital-Sleeve-Gastrectomy-and-Gastric-Bypass-booklet2.pdf

Atm I try and stick to 800-900 a day

Edited by madadams

I do log everything into myfitnesspal...I've noticed that I don't lose well when I've had a lot of sodium...could it be Water retention?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

And 286 calories is very low!

I do log everything into myfitnesspal...I've noticed that I don't lose well when I've had a lot of sodium...could it be Water retention?

And 286 calories is very low!

I'm hoping it's Water retention, I'm going to drink 2 ltr today to see if it makes a difference and also going to have some extra food, maybe some fish with mash? I'm not sure how much sodium would be too much, at the moment myfitnesspal says i've had 931mg of sodium,

It's really hard to know...I would definitely ask a nutritionist if you could.

That's a very low calorie intake!! I'm just ending my two week liquid post op and my calorie intake take is higher then that. I also think your Protein needs to be a little higher! I make sure I at least get 70g. My teams target is between 60g - 90g.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to see the scale fo up. I see it stay the same and I panic. Its differently a work in progress.

I hope some of these suggestions help you see a minus!!!

Good luck!!

Maybe it would be a good idea to meet with your teams nutritionist.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using the BariatricPal App