Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to the WL doc yesterday for the first time

I am new this. I have been struggling for weight for my whole life. I finally went to my first appt. for the sleeve. And it went good. I can get appointment for the surgery next month ! But now I am second guessing ! Ugh. I have had a tumor removed from my spine back in 2005 and I bleeded a lot. So i am scared. The surgeon seems to think I will be ok. I can't sleep because I can't stop thinking about what to do. Ugh. I am leaning towards getting the sleeve. I keep reading that many people go back and fourth about making the decision to get it. So is it normal. ? To keep going back and fourth.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes it is normal to go back and forth a bit. I researched and thought and prayed about doing something like this for years and was still having to not freak out and change my mind the morning of surgery. But I will say 9 months and 135 pounds later it was the BEST decision I have ever made. [emoji4] best of luck to you!

It's totally normal to be confused and on the fence about these things. It's a huge decision that will impact every aspect of your life for the rest of your life. It sounds to me like you already know deep down that this is what you need to do to get to where you want to be, and now you just have to take the plunge, like we all did. The thought that kept me going before surgery was that the chance of complications (especially serious or long lasting ones) is so, so low. Most bariatric surgeons have been doing this for years, there is a ton of data that exists, the technique has been perfected. If you're willing and able to follow your plan to the letter and really commit to the lifestyle change necessary to lose and maintain for the rest of your life, you'll almost certainly be successful. If you do nothing, the chances of getting sick way too young and losing literally decades of life is SO high. Not only that, but the life you will be living will be more painful and less easy/fun/rewarding than if you were healthy and at a healthy weight. Being obese takes its toll on the body. It's just a matter of how long it will take to take that toll. You can do this! You already know you're ready for a change, and that you need help to do it. There's no shame in that, only the power to become the person you want to be and to get healthy. I chose the bypass for various reasons, I have had no complications and zero regrets. I've lost almost 170 since surgery less than 11 months ago. Feel free to message me anytime, my inbox is always open. :)