Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How old is too old to be sleeved?

Let me start this out by saying I have no intention to offend...

My 79 y/o mother has struggled with her weight all her life. She is trying diet and exercise once again because her doctor told her recently that she's prediabetic. She's actually in pretty good health other than her weight -- high blood pressure, etc. but weight loss would help with that.

Anyway, she's very curious about my surgery and I'm visiting her soon. I fully expect she's going to ask me if this surgery is a possibility for her.

I hark back to when I told her that I had the surgery -- she knows how I struggled with my weight and I talked to her about the statistics for how few people can keep the weight off with diet and exercise and that I had lost a lot of weight several times but always gained it right back. As soon as I said it I realized I had just described her situation too. I felt bad that maybe I had just crushed her hope of beating this some day.

So I'm putting this out to the world -- is 79 too late to get into this game? I know only her doctor knows for sure, but I'd like to hear about similar experiences please.

It's really going to depend on the surgeon and her overall health. One program I looked into didn't do surgery on people over 70, but others may be willing to do so if the patient is a good candidate health wise.

Call and talk to a couple practices and see if they are willing to consider someone of your mother's age. If so, it may be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How is her health otherwise? Is she able to walk and care for herself independently? Does she have heart disease or heart failure? Lung issues?

I have a feeling most doctors would be reluctant at 79 unless (and maybe even if) she is 100% strong and independent and without heart failure or respiratory issues

Then I suspect insurance approval would be the issue.

How old do the women in her gene pool live? Realistically, if I live past 70 I'd be shocked. The guys in my family die from 52-65. But the women live close to 100. So think about it, if she has 21 more years or so based on a good guesstimate of family member longevity, it might be a better way to spend the next quarter of a century, as opposed to being stuck on one of those scooters.

Thank you all for the replies. Mom is in good health--no heart disease, lung disease so far as we know. Women in her family seem to live into their 90s on many occasions and I don't see any indication to the contrary in her case.

I do know that surgical risks increase with age of course--just want to be prepared for the questions I expect to be asked!

Thank you all for the replies. Mom is in good health--no heart disease, lung disease so far as we know. Women in her family seem to live into their 90s on many occasions and I don't see any indication to the contrary in her case.

I do know that surgical risks increase with age of course--just want to be prepared for the questions I expect to be asked!

My mom is 73 and has a 2nd meeting with the surgeon in July. She has a band that was placed in 2006 which has failed.

If she can get the weight off and have 10 years quality of life it is well worth it. She has bad knees from the weight but otherwise is in good health.

It sounds like it's definitely worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App