Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got sleeved yesterday: here's the blow by blow

These accounts helped me when I was pre-op so wanted to lay this out there for folks whose big day is coming:

9am - checked into hospital (NYU Medical Center)

9.30- 10.30 - changed into my gown and had some more pre-op testing like urine analysis, weigh-in, blood pressure check.

10.30 - 11am - met with my surgeon again and met with the anesthesiologist. Was encouraged to ask any questions I didn't ask before in the process.

11am - got taken in wheelchair to the OPERATING THEATER. This I wasn't expecting - I thought they'd sedate me in another room and trolley me to the OR when I was out but I got to meet the entire surgical team who were prepping for the operation. I couldn't help make jokes that it felt like I was abducted by aliens with all the huge lights point towards me from the ceiling and folks in blue scrubs and masks all around me.

The last thing I remember is an oxygen mask put over my nose and mouth - and then, black.

1pm - I came to in the post-op recovery room with wonderful nurses taking care of me. I ended up staying in recovery overnight as they didn't have any beds available. My husband wasn't able to stay overnight with me for this reason.

1pm - 7pm - I was very groggy all day as I kept pushing the button that released a v potent painkiller. My family came to visit on and off as well but I was pretty dozy and nauseous.

7pm - 6am - I was in and out of sleep. I must admit it was a very uncomfortable night as I couldn't get comfy in the bed, they had attached a blood pressure cuff that inflated every hour and woke me up. I also had the gas pain in my chest and back and pain at incision sites. But I can't say enough nice things about the nurses who never left me for extended periods of time. I also dreamed of food the whole night :)

6am -9am - The team wanted me to pee and I went 3 times which they seemed pleased with. I texted my husband to come over to be with me - poor guy had to wait downstairs as the recovery room was filling up with other patients.

9am-12 - I was desperate to go home but my doc told me that the only way I could be discharged was if they got positive labs from my bloodwork (they couldn't find veins so they poked me 6-7 times which was a bit traumatic as I hate needles). She also wanted me to finish approx 400 cc of Water and Propel so that she knew I could tolerate it and keep hydrated at home. It took me 3 hours to do this.

12.30 - I had a final conversation with my team at which point they discharged me with a bunch of pain, nausea, spasm and antacid med.

1pm - I got home and went to bed for a proper sleep. I've only just woken up and feel ok to look at my phone. Was too nauseous to read

Other Notes:

I have 4 incisions - the one at the belly button is most uncomfortable and 'pulls' if I move incorrectly.

I seem to need my husband's help to get in and out of bed but I'm sure this only temporary.

Per one of my previous posts, I did cheat quite a bit during my pre-op diet (bad bini120!) but I guess my liver was small enough to do the surgery.

While I may have dreamed about foods, I'm not hungry at all. I'm sipping my clear fluids very slowly today as I don't want to overdo it, but no issues getting the liquids down. Tomorrow I can start with the Protein shakes.

Thank you everyone for answering all my questions pre-op. Looking forward to where this journey takes me next.

Any questions, I'd be delighted to answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by bini120

These accounts helped me when I was pre-op and PO

@@bini120

very nice of you to post about your going ons, pre and PO :)

informative and helpful to newbies

WL people like to help others with info

glad experienced sleevers have given you good answers (or lapband, gastric bypass etc)

i'm sure you might think of one or two more questions ;)

ask away!!! light is now shining on you!!

good luck

continued speedy recovery

kathy

Thanks for posting this! I had never read one of these breakdowns before so i really appreciate it.

I wanted to have my surgery at NYU with Dr. Ren-Fielding but my insurance (UHC Choice Plus) required I do it at one of their Centers of Excellence. Did she perform your surgery?

Yes she did mine! I can't recommend her and her team highly enough! Also the Staff at NYU Langone were absolutely wonderful.

It really is a world class hospital. Ugh I wish I was having my surgery there!

Anyway- thank you again for sharing your progress and so glad you are feeling well on the other side.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have just finished my six months and heard today that my surgery is approved by insurance! Yay!

@@bini120

Thanks for sharing. It is interesting to hear how surgery is so different at different hospitals.

Prior to surgery as soon as I changed into my gown and did my urine test and blood tests, they started an IV. I was given some sedatives, and taken to the pre-op area. I talked to the surgeon, PA, and anesthesiologist. Waited for surgery maybe 30 minutes I was on a gurney at this point, then I was taken to the operating room.

I had very little pain so I was up walking around all evening and most of the night. Couldn't sleep in the hospital and I was bored to death.

I had a tray the next afternoon after my live swallow test, and on my tray was a Protein shake, hot tea, broth, and Jello. I had to make a decent dent in it to be allowed to go home.

Good luck with your recovery!

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

thank you for sharing as this will be helpful to those that will be going into surgery. I was thankfully approved this past week! WOO HOO I'm very excited. Rest up and as you are able update.

3-day Update:

I'm feeling a bit better everyday.

- I'm off the liquid pain meds as I don't seem to need them. I also don't seem to need the nausea or antacid meds.

- The gas pains these last few days have been the most challenging. Every burp and fart is celebrated. And walking around definitely helps to relieve those.

- I still have a tightness in my chest though. I've been putting it down to gas pain but I'm not sure anymore so I'll be ringing the doctor today to check.

- I had some leakage from one of the incision sites (on my sternum) yesterday (no signs of an infection though) - my husband and I were able to get dressings and alcohols wipes from CVS and redid the covering, which is looking better now.

- I sleep on my side or my back with a pillow against my tummy. Partly to protect myself from any unexpected movement at night and partly for support as the belly button incision still 'pulls' a bit.

- Yesterday I experience spasms of the stomach, but I've been given pills for that which I took every 4 hours. I also read some advice on here which said a warmer temperature might help, which it definitely did.

- I haven't been able to get much Protein in last few days and I'll start again today as I'm feeling a bit more myself. But need to remember to sip very very slowly.

- Finally, I haven't had a BM since surgery so last night I picked up some liquid Colace per advice from an RN from the hospital that rang to check up on me. She said Milk of Magnesia should be the last resort as it's a bit more aggressive on the gut.

I'll update again in a few days. Good luck all.