Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been reading some post and thought I would reach out. I am 41 years old and currently weigh about 325 (last time I got on the scales was a few weeks ago and I was 318) and I am preparing for surgery on November 11th of this month. I have already scheduled my surgery so I am gonna do this!

I really want to do this the right way and while I am not nervous about the actual surgery I am worried about my emotional state and how that plays a part with eating. I will be honest and say that I know that I have an addiction to food cause I live to eat (eat when I am not hungry and eat for comfort) along with other addiction vices. I am trying to wrap my head around this huge lifestyle change that I will be forced to make after the surgery but I would like to actually prepare now.

I have a hard time realizing that I will probably will have to give up starchy foods and dairy to really optimize the surgery. But the problem is that I LOVE starchy foods and dairy, especially milk. I hate vegetables and have a hard time gagging them down.

Any suggestions on what I can do now to prepare for my new life when it comes to food?

Did any of you mourn food after your surgery? How are you coping with not eating the foods you used to love now?

Thanks!

Plenty of mourning. I have discovered a love for Greek yogurt. Never really liked milk but haven't had any problems the few times I've had it. I can eat some breads but they aren't worth it most times. I eat burgers with only one piece of bread sometimes I can finish them others I can't. Once you get used to Protein first it's not that difficult IMO. The liquid diet before and after surgery will get you over the hump. I thought I would never eat sushi again but it wasn't long after and I was eating it again albeit a much much smaller portion! It's a mental game when you start to see the weight loss you will not want those things as much. Stay away from sodas if you can. I have to fight that urge too much! Good luck and remember why you're doing it take your Vitamins and work on eating to live not living to eat. So far the good outweighs the bad. Everyone here is a great resource. If you need any answers someone has them. It is different for everyone. It's been a year since my surgery. Sorry if I rambled

Edited by Mel77

Plenty of mourning. I have discovered a love for Greek yogurt. Never really liked milk but haven't had any problems the few times I've had it. I can eat some breads but they aren't worth it most times. I eat burgers with only one piece of bread sometimes I can finish them others I can't. Once you get used to Protein first it's not that difficult IMO. The liquid diet before and after surgery will get you over the hump. I thought I would never eat sushi again but it wasn't long after and I was eating it again albeit a much much smaller portion! It's a mental game when you start to see the weight loss you will not want those things as much. Stay away from sodas if you can. I have to fight that urge too much! Good luck and remember why you're doing it take your Vitamins and work on eating to live not living to eat. So far the good outweighs the bad. Everyone here is a great resource. If you need any answers someone has them. It is different for everyone. It's been a year since my surgery. Sorry if I rambled

Thanks! I am really not a soda drinker. I may have a coke every 3 or 4 months (thank goodness!).

I am of the opinion that nothing is off limits. If I want some ice cream I have some ice cream, if I want Pasta I have Pasta. The key is moderation and Portion Control. I feel that thinking that something is forbiddden makes you want it more and makes it harder to stick to a healthy diet.

Having said that follow your nutritionist's plan and you will figure out what works for you

In my experience I have tried to eat many of the things I loved before my surgery, but after a few bites of starches (which I, too, loved) I've had enough. The sick, full feeling you will get immediately stops you. I was always planning my next meal before I had finished the first and now I have to force myself to eat because I truly never feel hunger.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@bellevue I know exactly how you feel. I had all the same food addictions and I live in San Francisco where incredible food is everywhere. I had my VSG just about two months ago. The amazing thing is how my relationship with food has changed. I don't crave it, I'm rarely truly hungry and I can sit next to someone eating one of my formerly favorite meals and it hardly fazes me. It's great! I'm at the point where I'm trying to add more interesting foods. I seem to be able to eat anything. Of course about 3 oz. and I'm done--can't eat another bite and I'm completely satisfied. Of course I'm being good and eating mostly Protein and only minimal carbs but I can see that when I reach maintenance I can have a more normal diet.

I have zero regrets! You can definitely do this if this "foodie" can.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@bellevuefreak have a look into Fairlife milk. It has 13 grams of Protein a cup so it is well worth the calories to drink it since you need to get in about 60 grams of Protein a day. Sometimes I drink it straight and sometimes I add it to Soup or other meals that need liquid. :) And it doesn't taste any different IMO than regular milk.

I too am a food addict. I am two months out now and am eating between 500 and 800 cals depending on how many and which Protein Drinks I have. I do not miss food most of the time. When I get to feeling like compulsive eating I have a bit of cottage cheese, tuna or yogurt. I get to feeling full right away and the obsession goes away. I am usually not hungry at all. If I am, I eat. If not, I don't. When I eat it is about 2-4 ounces or 1/4 cup. You can do this!

One of the most helpful tools for me was/is a daily journal; food-w/grams Protein and Fluid (THE TWO MOST IMPORTANT THINGS), exercise, when I ate/drank, how I felt, sleep patterns, etc. By being 100% honest with myself, I could look back and find patterns and trends-both good and bad. I track daily; protein, calories, fluid, steps, calories burned, and weight. I weigh myself every morning, naked, after I pee (hey, Water is heavy!). It is only a number. It's just a number that helps me track my progress. I then put all these numbers into an Excel spreadsheet, a month at a glance. A helpful tool for me and for the doctors at follow up visits. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been reading some post and thought I would reach out. I am 41 years old and currently weigh about 325 (last time I got on the scales was a few weeks ago and I was 318) and I am preparing for surgery on November 11th of this month. I have already scheduled my surgery so I am gonna do this!

I really want to do this the right way and while I am not nervous about the actual surgery I am worried about my emotional state and how that plays a part with eating. I will be honest and say that I know that I have an addiction to food cause I live to eat (eat when I am not hungry and eat for comfort) along with other addiction vices. I am trying to wrap my head around this huge lifestyle change that I will be forced to make after the surgery but I would like to actually prepare now.

I would suggest that right now you look into getting some sort of therapy whether its one on one or a group setting, but any help you can get to help you get through the emotional connection and addictions to food. Trust me on this, if I didn't have the mental help in my life, my depression post surgery would have probably done me in. Food addiction is just as bad as drug and alcoholic addition. And learning how to cope with that is absolute key to being successful post surgery. In other words, you won't be able to eat yourself to mental state of happiness.

Before I was even approved for surgery I had to have a mental evaluation done to make sure I could mentally handle the changes post surgery. And even though I did good on the evaluation and they initially felt like I didn't need it, after the surgery I needed it and boy oh boy did I need it badly.

I have a hard time realizing that I will probably will have to give up starchy foods and dairy to really optimize the surgery. But the problem is that I LOVE starchy foods and dairy, especially milk. I hate vegetables and have a hard time gagging them down.

Any suggestions on what I can do now to prepare for my new life when it comes to food?

Did any of you mourn food after your surgery? How are you coping with not eating the foods you used to love now?

Thanks!

I too was a huge bread/starch lover before the surgery. And granted I wasn't the best when it came to eating vegetables, your taste buds will indeed change. Things that you may love now, you might not like anymore post surgery. I can think of a least three or four former favorite fast foods that I can't do anymore just on the sheer fact that they taste disgusting to me now. But what you may not notice is that you may develop a like or craving for new foods, even food that you hate now, you may learn to love and appreciate post surgery. For me that was mashed potatoes. I couldn't stand mashed potatoes before I had the surgery. And now I can tolerate them for the most part. Hell even some days I look forward to eating them.

Would I would suggest for you is this. If your surgeon has a meal plan for you, to start incorporating as many of those changes into your life now, before your surgery. That way its not a 100% shock to your system once surgery happens. Start cutting out the bad foods now, which unfortunately for now is the starchy, bread, sugary filled foods. Also kinda switch your diet around to a more Atkins-is Protein first sort of diet. That will be a huge key change for you post surgery is to focus on getting in as many grams of Protein per meal to meet your daily goal, especially early on after surgery.

As for what I do now, I can eat bread, but I treat it more as a cheat meal/treat than a part of my daily diet. I try to restrict myself to no more than twice a week, usually in the middle of the week and on the weekends. Pasta, I don't eat hardly ever, and fried foods are even more scarce. Also on days where I know I'm gonna eat "bad" I try to prepare for it and the extra calories they will add into my diet by working out more to burn more calories.

I would suggest that right now you look into getting some sort of therapy whether its one on one or a group setting, but any help you can get to help you get through the emotional connection and addictions to food. Trust me on this, if I didn't have the mental help in my life, my depression post surgery would have probably done me in. food addiction is just as bad as drug and alcoholic addition. And learning how to cope with that is absolute key to being successful post surgery. In other words, you won't be able to eat yourself to mental state of happiness.

Before I was even approved for surgery I had to have a mental evaluation done to make sure I could mentally handle the changes post surgery. And even though I did good on the evaluation and they initially felt like I didn't need it, after the surgery I needed it and boy oh boy did I need it badly.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

I too was a huge bread/starch lover before the surgery. And granted I wasn't the best when it came to eating vegetables, your taste buds will indeed change. Things that you may love now, you might not like anymore post surgery. I can think of a least three or four former favorite fast foods that I can't do anymore just on the sheer fact that they taste disgusting to me now. But what you may not notice is that you may develop a like or craving for new foods, even food that you hate now, you may learn to love and appreciate post surgery. For me that was mashed potatoes. I couldn't stand mashed potatoes before I had the surgery. And now I can tolerate them for the most part. Hell even some days I look forward to eating them.

Would I would suggest for you is this. If your surgeon has a meal plan for you, to start incorporating as many of those changes into your life now, before your surgery. That way its not a 100% shock to your system once surgery happens. Start cutting out the bad foods now, which unfortunately for now is the starchy, bread, sugary filled foods. Also kinda switch your diet around to a more Atkins-is Protein first sort of diet. That will be a huge key change for you post surgery is to focus on getting in as many grams of Protein per meal to meet your daily goal, especially early on after surgery.

As for what I do now, I can eat bread, but I treat it more as a cheat meal/treat than a part of my daily diet. I try to restrict myself to no more than twice a week, usually in the middle of the week and on the weekends. Pasta, I don't eat hardly ever, and fried foods are even more scarce. Also on days where I know I'm gonna eat "bad" I try to prepare for it and the extra calories they will add into my diet by working out more to burn more calories.

Thanks I really appreciate your help! Gives me some things to consider and think about. I am working with a therapist and I did go to Overeaters Anonymous for a short period. I would like to know if there is a bariatric support group in my area after my surgery.

I would suggest that right now you look into getting some sort of therapy whether its one on one or a group setting, but any help you can get to help you get through the emotional connection and addictions to food. Trust me on this, if I didn't have the mental help in my life, my depression post surgery would have probably done me in. food addiction is just as bad as drug and alcoholic addition. And learning how to cope with that is absolute key to being successful post surgery. In other words, you won't be able to eat yourself to mental state of happiness.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

Thanks I really appreciate your help! Gives me some things to consider and think about. I am working with a therapist and I did go to Overeaters Anonymous for a short period. I would like to know if there is a bariatric support group in my area after my surgery.

Have you tried asking your surgeon's office about local support groups in the area? They may have a listing of local groups in your area you can reach out to for support pre and post surgery

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App