Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Days Post Op Cooked Breakfast For Daughter

Wow, my daughter had a friend sleepover. Cannot believe I made it through preparing homemade carmel apple waffles with homemade chicken nuggets. Ugh. Do not want to lose my cooking skills. Plus my kid needs to eat. Typing this out to stay strong knowing life goes on. Really excited to reach next goals to solidify my choice to be sleeved.

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

That was mighty nice of you! I precooked food for the first two weeks so my family had to make due with reheating. I don't mind cooking for them once I got on soft foods.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Did those things really even sound or look good to you while you were preparing them? I remember, in the beginning food was not my friend....nothing looked good, nothing smelled good and nothing tasted good!

Ummmm, yum. Good for you!

The hardest thing for me in that first 6 months was trying to get things flavored properly for my family. I am an excellent cook. My granddaughter who is 12 calls me the family chef and comes to stay with me for a week at a time just so she can enjoy my cooking and cook with me.

The problem of course is I cook from memory and taste and Lordy was my taster broken!!!! At first I did not taste at all, I would have my son or hubby taste because I wasn't eating what I was cooking most of the time.

Then, I started cooking differently for my whole family so I could actually taste things.

Now I cook all the time and I still love it but I really have to be very careful because I have found that my tasting causes me to be full before I even put food on my plate. It is especially bad when making things like mashed potatoes! (LOL). I find that I have to really watch it.

I also find after 21 months that dinner is my toughest meal. I really cannot eat much for dinner at all. And if I don't, I am then hungry later at night so I try hard not to taste much, to avoid snacking on anything before dinner.

Also what I cook has really changed a lot because I don't like to cook more than one meal for the whole family. Only once or twice a week do I even make a starch. Mostly we have become a meat and veggies family...... And no, I don't miss all the pastas I used to make......pasta makes my pouch hurt.

Good luck with your cooking!!!!

Did those things really even sound or look good to you while you were preparing them? I remember, in the beginning food was not my friend....nothing looked good, nothing smelled good and nothing tasted good!

Yeah actually having issues with food smells. Apart of changing our lifestyle had to realize how much tasting while cooking I was doing. Packing on the calories. My stepmom came to stay after surgery she cooked for herself and opened a bottle of wine. Thought I was going to die from the smell of wine in her glass. Kind of like after a hangover when you smell alcohol. Anyway life goes on. See surgeon tomorrow should be on soft foods. Hope you are well.

Ummmm, yum. Good for you!

The hardest thing for me in that first 6 months was trying to get things flavored properly for my family. I am an excellent cook. My granddaughter who is 12 calls me the family chef and comes to stay with me for a week at a time just so she can enjoy my cooking and cook with me.

The problem of course is I cook from memory and taste and Lordy was my taster broken!!!! At first I did not taste at all, I would have my son or hubby taste because I wasn't eating what I was cooking most of the time.

Then, I started cooking differently for my whole family so I could actually taste things.

Now I cook all the time and I still love it but I really have to be very careful because I have found that my tasting causes me to be full before I even put food on my plate. It is especially bad when making things like mashed potatoes! (LOL). I find that I have to really watch it.

I also find after 21 months that dinner is my toughest meal. I really cannot eat much for dinner at all. And if I don't, I am then hungry later at night so I try hard not to taste much, to avoid snacking on anything before dinner.

Also what I cook has really changed a lot because I don't like to cook more than one meal for the whole family. Only once or twice a week do I even make a starch. Mostly we have become a meat and veggies family...... And no, I don't miss all the pastas I used to make......pasta makes my pouch hurt.

Good luck with your cooking!!!!

Totally get it. Same here, have a wide repertoire for cooking. Plus living in the Napa Valley everything is about eating and drinking. Really did not realize how much I was consuming while preparing meals. It is like one of my senses is now missing while cooking. Glad you shared this topic. Suppose once I get to goal it will be a new acquired skill. All the facets of life that are changing. Exciting times. Take care

We had a bbq for father's day and it was the hardest day for me. I make 2 weeks tomorrow since surgery. I'm on puree food and I all I wanted was a hot dog lol I'm trying to stay strong but it is so hard.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

My kids were thoughtful and did not have a BBQ/cookout, but prepared everything at home and brought over to enjoy together. This allowed me not be around when all the goodies were being made, and concentrate on my lovely pureed food.

I have 2 sons that had WLS sleeve, and they understand the early challenges, but they now eat almost anything they want.

We had a bbq for father's day and it was the hardest day for me. I make 2 weeks tomorrow since surgery. I'm on puree food and I all I wanted was a hot dog lol I'm trying to stay strong but it is so hard.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Totally feel you. My friends are going out to lunch Sunday and they all looked at me. And I said no, no go ahead just not time for me yet. Even though I know I could sit there and watch them why do that to myself at 2 weeks out. Do not let the hot dog win!!! I actually ate an entire pudding cup sugar-free of course and felt guilty like I ate a burger. Lol. Let's stay strong together!