Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know mashed potatoes are not a good idea. Esp since I'm almost 4 weeks out. But I needed something different they were also home made. The first 2 times didn't bother me. I had some earlier around 3pm and I've been nauseous ever since. No puking tho! Anyone else have this issue with mashed potatoes?

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by neeks23

I'm about 4.5 weeks out and haven't had mashed potatoes......I plan on staying away from starches while I'm in the weight loss phase.......My guess would be you may have eaten a little too much.....potatoes tend to expand after you eat them so I bet that's what happened. In the future when eating them I'd suggest eating a little less than you would normally, making sure to leave room for the expanding...I actually like mashed cauliflower and have it as a replacement for mashed potatoes.

Good luck to you and I hope you're feeling better.

Anything dense just sits like lead.

I don't eat mashed potatoes- not because I don't like them, but because they make me kind of sick feeling. My issue is usually the fact that they have butter or some form of cream in them and my stomach doesn't like those things. If you made your mashed potatoes with something like that then it's possible it's the oil or fat rather than the carb that is making you feel sick. Mashed potatoes are also tricky because if they aren't moist, which is what the butter accomplishes, they tend to make your feel crummy also. For me, foods like that sit in my stomach and tend to cause my stomach to swell a bit, which also makes me sick.

I would only have them once in a while. I mixed two potatoes with canned chicken. It lasted three meals and made me go to sleep since it takes energy to digest. Try canned chicken or tuna with low fat mayo. Also there are Bariatric cookbooks and bariatriceating.com

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Im still on the pureed stage

I would only have them once in a while. I mixed two potatoes with canned chicken. It lasted three meals and made me go to sleep since it takes energy to digest. Try canned chicken or tuna with low fat mayo. Also there are Bariatric cookbooks and bariatriceating.com

Im still on the pureed stage

You can still have caned tuna or chicken with mayo on puréed. Just put it in a blender/food processor with some mayo and a little milk until it is the right consistency. You can spice it up however you like too!

I found mashed potatoes to be far too "heavy" for me post-op. If you're looking for that "taste" you can try steaming some cauliflower and then mashing that as you would potatoes. That works great for me. I use cauliflower to sub for potatoes and even rice...

I eat mashed potatoe flakes with pea Protein, I put mayo on it instead of butter and lemon pepper, just cause that's how I like them.

I was allowed mash potatoes during purée stage with low cal gravy to make them runnier along with some other carb dense foods like oatmeal. I didn't indulge really because I never have lost weight well eating carbs and didn't want to eat them that early. But now I have them maybe once a month or every six weeks. They go down with no issues. Moderation!

I was eating mashed cauliflower about 3 days out of surgery. Almost always do that at home and, if you add a little cream cheese, butter and blend it well enough, it tastes almost indistinguishable from potatoes.

Had a couple bites of the real stuff the other day in the IKEA cafeteria. Came with my salmon. Good idea to go slow...whether potatoes expand in your stomach or not, it sure feels like they do