Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gotta Get Off the RNY vs. Sleeve Seesaw: Heads or Tails, help me out!

Why does no one ever add the duodenal switch into the mix? Has anyone considered this as an option? If not, why not?

I am curious about this question as well, ridgerunner...

What's the tipping point between choosing RNY or DS?

Personally, I have pretty much nixed the RNY idea. I have got to be able to take NSAIDS.

Ugh.....that's a seriously good point.... I get chronic sinus infections and nothing but ibuprofen breaks the pain....

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@Daisee68

You can live entirely without a stomach in the worse case scenario. If something goes wrong with your intestines it is basically a death sentence, either short or long, but no matter what it is horrific.

Even Drs say the worse thing about RNY is touching the intestines, that basically you should never touch healthy intestines. The Dr on Fat Doctor talked about it several times.

It is also "cleaner" because the intestines aren't cut, with the sleeve the stomach is cut and sealed at that same time. RNY involves more cuts and more stitches, creating a greater margin of error, and again, cutting into the intestines.

Why does no one ever add the duodenal switch into the mix? Has anyone considered this as an option? If not, why not?

My surgeon told me if I wanted DS, then he would have to refer me to an outside program. DS is known as the most effective wls but it also has the highest rate of complications. I think DS is reserved as the last, last, last, last resort because of the complexity & severity of the surgery. Patients are much more likely to lose and keep their weight off but they are more likely to experience malnutrition, Vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

I don't know if you have ever seen the show "My 600lb Life" but even they don't get DS when they have hundreds and hundreds of pounds to lose.

I was high BMI, had the sleeve. i had an irrational fear of the gastric bypass at the time.

My band to sleeve was Dec 2011, I lost over 150# and am maintaining reasonably well. My perspective now is that they are BOTH good procedures, the RNY has way more data/history and for that reason alone is a good, rational choice. I think you have to pick what you believe in. 80% of this battle is a mental one, and believing in it is a great start! Good luck - just do it!

I don't know if you have ever seen the show "My 600lb Life" but even they don't get DS when they have hundreds and hundreds of pounds to lose.

Well Dr Now can't bother to learn the DS since he does 50 other surgeries that he shouldn't be doing, including plastics.

He really isn't the best doctor, don't get me started, oh wait I already started...

Well Dr Now can't bother to learn the DS since he does 50 other surgeries that he shouldn't be doing, including plastics.

He really isn't the best doctor, don't get me started, oh wait I already started...

Despite that fact that viewers have yet to see a surgery he can't perform (I'm not too sure how to feel about that lol????????)...you cannot deny the fact that this man is changing the lives of the people who the rest of the world has pretty much given up on. And he really does have the patience of a monk.