Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is the Most Surprising Benefit of Weight Loss Surgery?

Most of us go into weight loss surgery with some expectations: we’ll lose weight, get a little healthier, gain energy, feel more attractive, and lose several clothing sizes. But there are tons of other possible benefits, like no longer needing to wait for elevators because you now take the stairs.

For me, one of the most surprising benefits was how much more tolerant I became. When I got weight loss surgery, I was admitting that I had a problem and I was dealing with it. I was very sensitive to anyone who seemed like they were judging me – either before WLS for being obese or after WLS for having gotten my band – and I resented that.

Still, the experience made me realize that everyone (like me!) has problems. I may not understand or even recognize their problem, and I may not like what they are doing to address or not address their problem, but I can’t let it bother me and I need to be respectful towards them. This realization has really made me more patient and tolerant, which makes me feel more peaceful. That definitely wasn’t something I had thought of when I was deciding to get the lap-band!

I bet a lot of you have had similar experiences. What unexpected benefits of WLS have you found?

for me the best benefit was feeling better about myself which led me to leave a toxic marriage.

Before WLS, I really didn't understand that I would lose the constant hunger after LapBand. I expected to feel full faster and stop eating mid meal. But food has been on my mind every hour of every day of my life. Even when I lost weight before without WLS, I was constantly thinking about food.

That is GONE. G. O. N. E.

Today I think about food when my empty stomach rumbles. I don't obsess about it and it is truly not on my mind when I am not physically hungry.

I really didn't expect it but I have to say it's a freaking miracle.

JustWatchMe

For me it's how much I can do and get done now. My house is cleaner then it's been in years and on the weekends I can't stand to just sit around and do nothing anymore. I want to get out and go all the time.

For a while I thought about how much more energy I have. I recently realized that I am returning to how I was meant to be. I used to have this much energy before my major weight gain, and I am returning to that level. As I got bigger, my energy decreased. Emotionally, I am returning to my previous levels of happiness, too. It is as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders (wait, that's exactly what happened!!!). Many people from different walks of life, friends and just acquaintances have all said that I glow. I just hope that it is not from the barium in my pre-op tests! @@Icantbelieveit said they just looked forward to things again, I have to agree, big time.

Anyone save $$ as a benefit? As a result of spending less money on food?

How often my teen daughter would steal my new clothes. She's leaving for college in the fall and I am starting to get protective lest the all wind up in her dorm room!

Most surprising benefit of wls ?

For me it has been how quickly I accept change.

It's been surprising and alarming but I call it a benefit because every change I've been considering has been approached in direction of, "What is most healthy for me? What will make me the sincerely happy long term?".

Been married for 23 years......worked for the same employer the past 21 years......been driving the same vehicle for the past 9 years.......yet I've gone through a good bit of speculation and consideration to make changes with each.....

Some of this has been the self generated drama that has accompanied this initial 7 month post-op craziness. Now it's settling down. One thing that I really see myself changing is my job. Perhaps it's time for a new career.....less stress.

Reading all these changes are all ones I am hoping to make. Better marriage, same job but reaching out to people more and taking care of me. My youngest will head to college in the fall and I want a new beginning for myself too!

Thanks for the answers…they’re uplifting and encouraging! @@Sophie74656, while of course I am sorry about your toxic marriage, I am so proud of you that you gained the strength to leave it.

A lot of us (yes, me, too) gained energy post-op. It doesn’t take much weight loss to start to feel the benefits, as @@Icantbelieveit said, but they’re sure worth it! Gaining energy and being able to enjoy what life has to offer really motivate you to keep going.

@@jess9395, LOL! We get complimented in the strangest ways!

@@Dub, great observations! Life really is more fun when you’re able to accept and embrace change, and I think succeeding at WLS can give the necessary confidence to do just that. Good luck figuring out which changes are best for you and how you can make them happen.

Most surprising benefit of wls ?

For me it has been how quickly I accept change.

It's been surprising and alarming but I call it a benefit because every change I've been considering has been approached in direction of, "What is most healthy for me? What will make me the sincerely happy long term?".

Been married for 23 years......worked for the same employer the past 21 years......been driving the same vehicle for the past 9 years.......yet I've gone through a good bit of speculation and consideration to make changes with each.....

Some of this has been the self generated drama that has accompanied this initial 7 month post-op craziness. Now it's settling down. One thing that I really see myself changing is my job. Perhaps it's time for a new career.....less stress.

Hi Dub, changing my job after WLS is one of the best changes I made because now I am able to have a more balanced lifestyle.

Hi Dub, changing my job after WLS is one of the best changes I made because now I am able to have a more balanced lifestyle.

Balance.

Balance.

That sounds like sweet music to my ears. I want.....and need balance.

Thank you.

the most surprising is that it is helping me to remember who I am, underneath and before all the things in my life that lead me down an unhealthy path. and looking forward to getting out and doing things. feeling well enough to participate in life.......

Yes ... balance and less stress is much more valuable to me these days -- nearly 2 years post-op.

Not too long ago I loved stress, especially work stress. It fueled me because I needed the boost adrenaline gave me to (as Garrison Keillor says) "get up and do what needs to be done."

Not my cuppa tea now. :)