Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So at the beginning of my journey, the mandated sleep study determined that I have mild sleep apnea. On my last appt my nurse told me to make sure that I have my cpap machine the day of my surgery. Here's the thing, I never went and got it . Honestly with school and work the past month it had slipped my mind. My surgery is scheduled for June 8th and I'm terrified that they will cancel if I don't have the cpap machine. I won't have time to get it this week and next week I will be heading out of town. I'm freaking out majorly. I know it's no ones fault but my own , but I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that when I tell my doc at my pre op on Wednesday that he is going to cancel my surgery . Anyone have an issue like this ??

A few thoughts- usually if your insurance company covers the CPAP, then you get your machine through a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) company that participates with your insurance. Most of them will come to your house and deliver/set up the CPAP and show you how to use it. You might need to just give your DME company a call and try to work out a time that they can come to you instead of you coming to them.

If that isn't how your insurance works, and if you check with your surgeon and he says you absolutely need the CPAP for surgery, then I would call the sleep study place where you went and ask for a copy of your CPAP prescription. They may give you a hard time about it (saying that they will just send it to the DME company) but you are allowed to buy your CPAP on your own and they have to give you your prescription. Then I would go to secondwindcpap.com and buy the cheapest one you can find, along with a mask. They will set it to your prescribed settings and send it to you. You should be able to get it an a few days.

I will say that I brought my CPAP to my surgery as required, but I never used it while in the hospital. My oxygen level never dropped low enough for them to put it on me.

@@2bsleeved26 Mild sleep Apnea doesn't always require a CPAP. I would find out if there is a requirement for the CPAP before you start to panic. BUT - if there is - many surgeons will require you to be using it faithfully for 30 days before surgery and will cancel if you haven't. I believe someone else on this forum had their surgery cancelled until she is compliant with her CPAP.

A few thoughts- usually if your insurance company covers the CPAP, then you get your machine through a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) company that participates with your insurance. Most of them will come to your house and deliver/set up the CPAP and show you how to use it. You might need to just give your DME company a call and try to work out a time that they can come to you instead of you coming to them.

If that isn't how your insurance works, and if you check with your surgeon and he says you absolutely need the CPAP for surgery, then I would call the sleep study place where you went and ask for a copy of your CPAP prescription. They may give you a hard time about it (saying that they will just send it to the DME company) but you are allowed to buy your CPAP on your own and they have to give you your prescription. Then I would go to secondwindcpap.com and buy the cheapest one you can find, along with a mask. They will set it to your prescribed settings and send it to you. You should be able to get it an a few days.

I will say that I brought my CPAP to my surgery as required, but I never used it while in the hospital. My oxygen level never dropped low enough for them to put it on me.

Thanks for the great suggestion! I called the sleep study center and they are going to send me a copy of my script, and I'm going to go online and order one. Thanks again. I feel a lot more at ease now.

Yay! I'm glad you were able to get your script and get this taken care of. Good luck with your surgery :)

You may want to see if you can change your surgery date. Getting used to a CPAP is something that takes time and you may have to wear it X number of hours for X number of days to comply with your insurance covering it. It might he rough trying to still get used to it in the hospital after surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App