Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best way to tighten belly?

I'm 4 weeks post op and 15Kgs down, just wondering what the best way to work on the gut? My weight loss has been mostly from the face, hips and a little around the belly.

5 days? I'm 4 weeks and 2 away from returning to normal exercising according to my surgeon. Just planning it now.

Yep, 5 days. Had my op on Sat 14.05 in the afternoon. I don't really know when are we suppose to start exercising. But if ur surgeon says is ok. Go for it.

Oh sorry thought you confused me for 5 days lol I was expected to start moving around from day 1. Just 5 min walks initially.

At 4 weeks he said 30 mins and at 6 weeks back to normal but nothing stupid. I took it very easy for the first 2 weeks.

Best to see what your surgeon recommends as they are more familiar with your situation.

Edited by nogi

It's not clear exactly what you are trying to accomplish here. You can't "spot lose" weight by targeting specific areas with exercise. So if you are hoping to "encourage" your body to burn fat from your belly specifically, that can't happen. If you are looking to tone up, there are a million and one exercises you can do. Make sure to do ones that work all parts of your core, not just your abs. If you are worried about loose skin, there's pretty much nothing you can do about that except stay hydrated, moisturize daily, and take your Vitamins.< /p>

You might not like this answer but there is no way to specifically target body parts for fat reduction. The reason you notice fat loss in some areas before others is usually attributed to simply having less fat in those areas. The midsection is usually the area with the highest concentration of adipose tissue and as such it will take longer to see a significant difference in that area. For the most part fat loss is fairly uniform across the body but is more noticeable in some areas than others.

Crunches or any other abdominal exercise will not cause stomach fat to be reduced in the abdominal area. That being said muscle resistance training will help build and maintain muscle mass which has significant benefits in weight loss. The primary of these is that the more lean muscle mass the more calories your body will burn even resting. Additionally studies have shown that taxing muscle building exercises increases calorie burning for a 48 hour period following the workout. It is even speculated that this window is more effective than strictly cardiovascular training.

Lastly it is critical to have realistic expectations during this process. Many people have this misguided impression that endless crunches and ab roller exercises will give them 6 pack abs. This is simply not the case. While working out this part of the body is important for overall health and strength you already have fairly developed abs. The issue is that very visible abs do not really become obvious until the body is around 15% or lower body fat percentage.

This is not to discourage you in any way. Every day you get closer to your goal. It is very easy to get discouraged in this process if realistic goals are not set. Take care.

what is the best way to work on the gut?

@@nogi

the face is where most people loose weight initially

don't believe you can concentrate on loosing weight/inches from one specific area :angry:

ie tummy, hips, rear end etc

i "think" the last weight/inches you put on

is the first place it will come off

no medical/physical expert here

(but i am pretty smart cookie :lol: )

exercise is great

inches will come off eventually

ask my rear end and hips

they are both gone!!

(hmmm, not sure how you can talk to them in their absence)

down 33 lbs

you are doing great

keep up the wonderful job

kathy

congrats

what is the best way to work on the gut?

@@nogi

the face is where most people loose weight initially

don't believe you can concentrate on loosing weight/inches from one specific area :angry:

ie tummy, hips, rear end etc

i "think" the last weight/inches you put on

is the first place it will come off

no medical/physical expert here

(but i am pretty smart cookie :lol: )

exercise is great

inches will come off eventually

ask my rear end and hips

they are both gone!!

(hmmm, not sure how you can talk to them in their absence)

down 33 lbs

you are doing great

keep up the wonderful job

kathy

congrats

for fat reduction? nothing except loosing weight overall. and, I think there is some research out there on foods that tend to add to belly fat, but I am pretty sure that the bariatric food plan already avoids them.

but to tighten and tone, I'd say swimming laps, yoga and pilates. very effective.

Thanks guys, I realise you can't target a specific area for loss but thought that you could perhaps work on toning it instead to minimise (not eliminate) skin sag but sounds like you can't.

Thanks guys, I realise you can't target a specific area for loss but thought that you could perhaps work on toning it instead to minimise (not eliminate) skin sag but sounds like you can't.

To help with skin sag, stay hydrated, take your Vitamins, eat Protein and nutritious food, and keep your skin moisturized (try a lotion or oil with Vitamin E -- I like Palmer's cocoa oil and cocoa butter, it helps with scars, too). It won't eliminate it, but may help.

I swim and do crunches, etc. in the pool.

My surgeon said Yoga to stretch the skin. When it bounces back, he said it gets tighter. So I am beginning that tomorrow. He also said that Pilates is OK.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App