Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much post-surgical pain should I expect?

I will have sleeve surgery on 5/26/16 and I'm feeling anxious, not sure what to expect. I had my gall bladder out 20 years ago. It was laparoscopic surgery, and I had 4 small incisions. I think I was in surgery about an hour. I had virtually no pain from this. My surgery was in the early afternoon and by midnight I was doing laps around the ward. I had some tenderness in my abdomen for about 5 days, but that was it. I am not sure what to expect for pain with the sleeve surgery. I'd love to hear your experiences- how painful, how long did it last, etc. I know we are all different, and I'm willing to take pain meds if I need to- I just would really like some idea of what to expect!

There really wasn't much considerable pain from the sleeve. Tenderness at the 5 incision sites. PMy pain was from the hernia repair. Had excruciating stabbing pain in my shoulder that went on for weeks. All my best for your procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, everyone is different. "Viva le difference"

Just keep in mind that no matter the pain you experience, there will be a well educated Pain Management Team on site to reduce it to a level you can handle.

You have the right to be pain free to an expected level.

Don't wait until you lose control of the pain. When you first feel pain at a level #5-6, ask for something to reduce it. Do NOT wait until your pain reaches #7 or above. By then your pain is much harder to get ahead of and bring back down.

Whatever is needed will be available.

Now, find something else to worry about---you know you will. ;) :)

Good luck and post as soon as you feel up to it post-op. Yes, we're nosy, but we also really care.

scooching over and making room for you on the, "Losers' Bench". :)

Prayers going up...

I had some pain but nothing unbearable. I took pain medicine for about a week and a half post op (only while sleeping). sleeping was very uncomfortable. But it's nothing too crazy. I vacuumed my whole house the day I came home from surgery and feel as though I over did it. As long as you listen to your body and take it easy you be okay!

A guy In my support group stated day 2 he was in so much pain. I've had lap band and had removal and had gallbladder removed and was never in that much pain. I'm hoping that this will be the case also.

Good luck OP - hope all goes well. I'm getting my sleeve the day before on 5/25.

I had surgery 3/22 first day and 1/2 was rough. After that no pain more abdominal discomfort. My first surgery so I was terrified as to what to expect. Recovery I have had no issues, feel great. Very happy with surgery decision. Follow your surgeons instructions. Be patient with yourself. You will do great

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

I will have sleeve surgery on 5/26/16 and I'm feeling anxious, not sure what to expect. I had my gall bladder out 20 years ago. It was laparoscopic surgery, and I had 4 small incisions. I think I was in surgery about an hour. I had virtually no pain from this. My surgery was in the early afternoon and by midnight I was doing laps around the ward. I had some tenderness in my abdomen for about 5 days, but that was it. I am not sure what to expect for pain with the sleeve surgery. I'd love to hear your experiences- how painful, how long did it last, etc. I know we are all different, and I'm willing to take pain meds if I need to- I just would really like some idea of what to expect!

Had my surgery this morning 5/18... awesome, I worried for nothing... at times I forgot to hit pain pump. So far ok... tomorrow I will see how the liquids go...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

My gallbladder surgery was a piece of cake, too. Surgery at 8am, discharged at 1pm, went grocery shopping and cleaned the house that afternoon. Never took any of the pain meds they prescribed.

VSG was almost as easy. Surgery at 3pm. Discharged at 9am, walked 2 miles and went shopping. More shopping the next day. Never had a pain pump in the hospital and never took a single pain med after leaving. The most discomfort I felt was some abdominal fatigue, like I'd done a hundred sit-ups and a little cramping from the drain.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say gallbladder was a 2, VSG a 3, cervical neck fusion a 9 and gallbladder attacks prior to having it removed a 12.

Like others have said it varies on the individual. I am just past 1 month post surgery and did not experience very intense pain after surgery. There was a fair amount of discomfort, however (Felt like my midsection was filled with air). Walking seemed to help this significantly. I did not need the pain pills sent home with me. Just keep moving, stay hydrated as best as possible and do not be afraid to take a nap whenever you feel totally drained.

I am 3 days post op and consider myself to have a high pain tolerance. I had a terrible experience in the hospital......when they moved my from recovery to my room they didn't not have my pain pump ready,,,,and no one seemed to know who my nurse was and she would be the one that would have to set it up.....during all this time I was in what I consider to be the worst pain I've ever experience....and I've had two babies natural with out any drugs and my last one weighed 11 pounds!......After my husband went to the nurses station and insisted that they get off their azz and do something things started to get better. I've never had high blood pressure but during this time it was through the roof. Once they finally got the pain meds in me things improved quickly.....and now 3 days later it's not too bad. I am only taking extra strength Tylenol....I can't stand the taste of the liquid pain med that sent me home with. The hospital staff must stay on top of the pain.....if that had not happened I wouldn't have complained about the pain at all.

Taking 1 Percocet with raglan cocktails with orange flavor Vitamin h2O with 2 ounce of Water... sipping and walking sipping and walking, if recovery had handle your pain management right your pain would have been miminal mines was 2-3... sorry I had to go thru that... I was sleeves yesterday 5/18

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App