Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am pre-op gastric bypass. Like most of you here, since I came to the decision to have surgery I have been studying and reading everything I can to learn what to expect. I have taken steps to change how I eat and understand how food effects me. I have lost 35 lbs so far from healthy eating. One of the steps was to cut out sugar from my diet except for a rare treat I allow myself once a month or less. During my scheduled meet with my NUT she told me I need to start using Protein Shakes to replace a meal. I told her that I was kicking sugar and would rather get my extra Protein through an unflavored whey that I could put in my Water or food. She said no, no good. Drink the shakes. I am stumped as to why a sugary Protein Shake is so superior?? Could someone enlighten me?

I am pre-op gastric bypass. Like most of you here, since I came to the decision to have surgery I have been studying and reading everything I can to learn what to expect. I have taken steps to change how I eat and understand how food effects me. I have lost 35 lbs so far from healthy eating. One of the steps was to cut out sugar from my diet except for a rare treat I allow myself once a month or less. During my scheduled meet with my NUT she told me I need to start using Protein shakes to replace a meal. I told her that I was kicking sugar and would rather get my extra Protein through an unflavored whey that I could put in my Water or food. She said no, no good. Drink the shakes. I am stumped as to why a sugary protein shake is so superior?? Could someone enlighten me?

It sounds like your NUT wants you to use a Protein Shake that is a Meal Replacement (usually has all the nutrition you would need for a meal) rather than a protein supplement that doesn't have all the required nutrition. That is my best guess.

Did you ask her why? It is perfectly acceptable to keep asking questions if you don't understand something.

I am pre-op gastric bypass. Like most of you here, since I came to the decision to have surgery I have been studying and reading everything I can to learn what to expect. I have taken steps to change how I eat and understand how food effects me. I have lost 35 lbs so far from healthy eating. One of the steps was to cut out sugar from my diet except for a rare treat I allow myself once a month or less. During my scheduled meet with my NUT she told me I need to start using Protein shakes to replace a meal. I told her that I was kicking sugar and would rather get my extra Protein through an unflavored whey that I could put in my Water or food. She said no, no good. Drink the shakes. I am stumped as to why a sugary protein shake is so superior?? Could someone enlighten me?

I have found no sugar shakes or verylow sugar sahkes,and even a Protein Drink called lift by Atkins. It has helped me a lot as I can not have any food right now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

It could be to get you use to eating less food as I am not allowed anything else this week before surgery.

There are Protein Shakes with little sugar (Premier) but I don't know why you'd NEED to do shakes (unless there's Vitamins etc in them). Did she give you a reason?

I am using the Premiere but to me, since I have cut out sugar it tastes extremely sweet. And as we all know... the more you have, the more you want. I worked hard to get the sweet monkey off my back and these are just making it harder. I asked a couple times why unflavored whey wasn't good enough. She just kept repeating to use the shakes so I gave up :(

It sounds like your NUT wants you to use a Protein Shake that is a Meal Replacement (usually has all the nutrition you would need for a meal) rather than a protein supplement that doesn't have all the required nutrition. That is my best guess.

Did you ask her why? It is perfectly acceptable to keep asking questions if you don't understand something.

I thought of the meal replacement idea but if I am taking in the same amount of calories without the shake then what's the difference? I am also taking Vitamins. I was getting 100 grams of protein everyday. Why would she think it was worth jeapordizing my hard work? I have been steadily losing weight. Why mess with the formula?

I have found no sugar shakes or verylow sugar sahkes,and even a Protein Drink called lift by Atkins. It has helped me a lot as I can not have any food right now.

I will look into those no sugar shakes. Are they not sweet at all? What is the flavor?

I have found no sugar shakes or verylow sugar sahkes,and even a protein drink called lift by Atkins. It has helped me a lot as I can not have any food right now.

I will look into those no sugar shakes. Are they not sweet at all? What is the flavor?
Yes, they do taste sweet, strawberry and chocolate or vanilla. I would prefer something savory but nothing has the same level of protein in liquid form.

It could be to get you use to eating less food as I am not allowed anything else this week before surgery.

I was already getting the amount of calories she reccomended. I saw her in March and am not due for surgery until July. I am baffled.

My Nutritionist said something about shrinking my liver. With no food.

If she couldn't give you a valid reason for making this change - I don't think I'd do it.

It felt like she was just reciting a monologue to me. Like she wasn't really listening to what I was saying. I have felt like these shakes are just wrong right now. I understand that I will have to rely on them when I get closer to the date (and after) but I feel like now is the wrong time. Thank you for your support.

I am pre-op gastric bypass. Like most of you here, since I came to the decision to have surgery I have been studying and reading everything I can to learn what to expect. I have taken steps to change how I eat and understand how food effects me. I have lost 35 lbs so far from healthy eating. One of the steps was to cut out sugar from my diet except for a rare treat I allow myself once a month or less. During my scheduled meet with my NUT she told me I need to start using Protein shakes to replace a meal. I told her that I was kicking sugar and would rather get my extra Protein through an unflavored whey that I could put in my Water or food. She said no, no good. Drink the shakes. I am stumped as to why a sugary Protein shake is so superior?? Could someone enlighten me?

Yes, they do taste sweet, strawberry and chocolate or vanilla. I would prefer something savory but nothing has the same level of protein in liquid form.

When it came to savory post-op, I like the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup and a couple of the ProtiDiet Soups that my surgeon allowed. Why not ask your NUT if there are any savory alternatives that are allowed.