Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell people you were considering weight loss surgery?

I know this question probably has been asked. How did you tell people, did you tell? I've been very private thus far. I'm not planning on telling my coworkers, I'll probably use vacation time if I am approved for surgery. I haven't even told my boyfriend. He's very encouraging when it comes to me losing weight however, I am nervous to tell him my decision. I just don't want the negatively from anyone! I feel like I'm making the best decision that's going to benefit me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I am hoping to hide it from everyone. Let's see if it works. In my family we cook and eat for anything. Celebration or not. But I think I'm a bit of a binge and emottional eater, so it will be good to say no . I have been having other health problems so I'm going to blame the quick weight loss on that

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

On the opposite side.I have told everyone and I'm glad I don't care what people say...I just polity tell them it's my decision and it's my body....if is hard to find some supporters and I did find one person who supports me highly (my sister) she is even thinking of the surgery for herself too. I'm OK with hearing people's opinions but I won't tolerate negativity, it's already hard to deal with our own emotions with the surgery but you do what best for you. Think positive and stay away from the negativity. I wish you the best of luck. I'm scheduled to get my surgery on May 31....good luck to us all

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

When I was just considering it? No, I didn't tell anyone. When I had decided on it, been approved, and had a surgery date scheduled, I told my family and closest friends. Most of the people at work (other than those I consider close friends) I just told I was having surgery and would be back in two weeks. No one had the gumption to ask me what kind of surgery!

Over the years I've gotten pretty good at listening to people's input and then doing whatever the hell I want. I think it helps that I'm a gay atheist in the Bible Belt. If I listened to other people's judgment about my life and decisions I'd probably be miserable and suicidal by now.

I did tell almost everyone who asked after the surgery ("how are you losing weight?" or "did you have weight loss surgery?") the truth and the whole truth. I figured if I am in a position to help erase the stigma against, and myths about, weight loss surgery, I should do it. I know other people are not in the same position I am in and I don't judge anyone for the choices they make about what to tell other people. I would say, it's probably a bad idea to outright lie about it ("no, I didn't have weight loss surgery" "I'm having my gall bladder taken out and will be back in two weeks") -- those lies have a way of being found out, and that makes you look dishonest and untrustworthy -- something no one wants in either a friend or an employee/co-worker.

ETA I got no negative responses or feedback when I told people I had surgery. And two people were really interested, followed up, and ended up also getting surgery and are doing really well.

When I first came to knowing that I needed to have the surgery, that I wanted the surgery, that the surgery was going to be the best thing for me, the first thing I did was go to the people closest to me and ask them for their support. This included a couple of close family members, a couple of close friends, and a couple of professional people with whom I had a well-established repoire. A couple of these people had concerns, but because they love me they heard me out. They bore witness to my reasoning, and had already born witness to my struggle over time. It did not take long to get all of them on my side, most of them were on my side from the minute I asked for their support. In the time leading up to surgery, there was a lot of preparation. Psychological and emotional, spiritual and physical. So other than the people who are closest to me I kept my cards close to my chest because I was not interested in the opinions of people who did not love me, and I am very protective of my sacred tender space. There is a rawness and a vulnerability that we experience when we finally admit the depth of our problem, and find the courage to take right action and address it. Just remember, your body your decision.

I still haven't told my co-workers and don't plan on it until I'm scheduled to leave for a few weeks. Its none of their business what I'm doing. I'm a very straight forward person but private at the same time especially when it comes to my personal issues and health.

Edited by Kwilliams03

I still haven't told my co-workers and don't plan on it until I'm scheduled to leave for a few weeks. Its none of their business what I'm doing. I'm a very straight forward person but private at the same time especially when it comes to my personal issues and health.

I have told a select few people. My mom, husband, my children a very select few coworkers, and both of my bosses. All are very encouraging for the most part. They all have asked many questions (how do I feel, what made me decide on the surgery, what does it consist of, how long will I be out of work, ect)... I love knowing I have support everywhere so that I am not alone and don't have to keep this a secret. My husband has been truly supportive and positive about the whole process. He wants to be there for all my appointments and take the days off when I am off. It's been a wonderful experience having them by my side.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

A coworker had Gastric bypass a few years back, she shared her story with everyone l and I saw how they judge her. Some of my coworkers don't care about boundaries. My business won't be their business! I too am private. I'm glad other understand as well.

I have told a select few people. My mom, husband, my children a very select few coworkers, and both of my bosses. All are very encouraging for the most part. They all have asked many questions (how do I feel, what made me decide on the surgery, what does it consist of, how long will I be out of work, ect)... I love knowing I have support everywhere so that I am not alone and don't have to keep this a secret. My husband has been truly supportive and positive about the whole process. He wants to be there for all my appointments and take the days off when I am off. It's been a wonderful experience having them by my side.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

So far I've only told my sister. Not sure when I will tell my boyfriend. I have to see what his mindset is first. You have a wonderful husband!

On the opposite side.I have told everyone and I'm glad I don't care what people say...I just polity tell them it's my decision and it's my body....if is hard to find some supporters and I did find one person who supports me highly (my sister) she is even thinking of the surgery for herself too. I'm OK with hearing people's opinions but I won't tolerate negativity, it's already hard to deal with our own emotions with the surgery but you do what best for you. Think positive and stay away from the negativity. I wish you the best of luck. I'm scheduled to get my surgery on May 31....good luck to us all

Thank you! My sister is my support system as well. I wouldn't know what I would do without her. Good luck!

Thank you! My sister is my support system as well. I wouldn't know what I would do without her. Good luck!

I love my sister I have 5 but over all these well opinionated women 2 so far are very supportive..God Bless Sisterhood

I find that my family tries to be supportive but then they get upset when I start to talk about the surgery and surgery date. Idk what to think anymore. My brother is against me getting the sleeve. I my family is worried I will not enjoy food anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have my first appointment on the 18th of July. I'm praying everything goes well and I'll be approved for the sleeve. Time will when it comes to my family. @@kellyann311 I hope by the time your surgery come they'll have a change of heart. Good luck!!!