Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days out & increasing pain on my left side

Had RNY Gastric Bypass last Monday (6 days ago). Everything went great! Went home the following day. Following instructions to the T. But yesterday my pain started increasing especially on my left side. I really hoped I would feel improvement by now but it's actually worse. Dr hasn't been available all weekend of course but went to urgent care last night (which was pointless as the Dr had no clue anything about WLS patients). The nurse told me to go due to the puss that developed under the glue on the incision site but they said its not infected.

Anyway, the pain on my left side is constant and kind of feels like when you drink too much then exercise and get those cramps. But when I walk it's even worse. And there's a burning sensation on my lower abdomen (nowhere near incision site). Just wondering if anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Also having regular diarrhea (sorry tmi) and Dr said it was normal a few days ago but most people are constipated. I sure hope this gets easier soon. I can't even put my socks & shoes on by myself. Lol. I'm hopeful but just so shocked at how bad things still are.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think you really need to be seen by your surgeon or someone in his office as soon as possible. You are right; you should not be having this kind of pain 6 days out. If you have puss from your incisions under the skin glue, then you are having issues with healing. Puss is indication of infection. I don't know what they are trying to tell you!

I would be concerned about leakage from where the new hole that was made to connect the intestine to the pouch.

Being that it is Sunday night, I would be on the phone with the doctor's office first thing Monday morning.

Hoping things get better. So sorry you are having such a difficult time.

Thanks. There are two emails awaiting my surgeon when he gets in tomorrow (including a photo of the incision) and I plan on calling the nurse line first thing when they open in the am. I'm hoping nothing is wrong.

I had my surgery on Thursday and dealing with the exact same thing. My drain was on the left side, so I'm thinking that's why I have pain there, but it's the same pain your describing. I started with diarrhea today, think I had too much broth, or Jello.< /p>

No drain for me. And the pain subsides when I lay down. I just don't understand. I thought it's supposed to help to walk but I went to Walmart today with my husband & I wish I had my pillow to hold against my left side b/c it was awful. It's almost like I need some compression there. You're only 3 days out Labcop so I would think it's normal. But 5-6 days out like this? I was hoping to be off pain meds by now but I might need a refill. Let's see what my surgeon says tomorrow.

I feel bad for my friend. She had the sleeve the same day as me & has had it worse than me. 3 nights in hospital for nausea. Today she sort of blacked out when she stood up. So I feel like I e got it easy compared to her.

Here is a link to an article about pain in the upper left quadrant. http://www.obesitycoverage.com/before-after/poop-pain-staples-after-surgery

After RNY surgery, I was plagued with diarrhea. It took me a couple weeks to figure out that I became lactose intolerant after surgery. Anytime I drank milk, I developed instant pain and then a trip to the restroom with diarrhea. So I stayed away from anything that had lactose (some Protein shakes have lactose) and the reaction stopped. About 2 months after surgery, this condition went away and I was able to drink milk once again.

Here is a link to an article about pain in the upper left quadrant. http://www.obesitycoverage.com/before-after/poop-pain-staples-after-surgery

After RNY surgery, I was plagued with diarrhea. It took me a couple weeks to figure out that I became lactose intolerant after surgery. Anytime I drank milk, I developed instant pain and then a trip to the restroom with diarrhea. So I stayed away from anything that had lactose (some Protein shakes have lactose) and the reaction stopped. About 2 months after surgery, this condition went away and I was able to drink milk once again.

I wondered if this might be the case, especially for me (which I hoped not) b/c especially in the am I seemed bothered by my premiere Protein Drink (lactose) so I started changing things to see if it helped. Mixed my Protein powder into cream of wheat, etc. but this morning I woke up with diarrhea again an all I ate for dinner was Tomato Soup, SF Jello, tea. It seems the morning is when I have diarrhea. But I will keep the lactose in mind. Maybe drink no lactose today & see if it improves things.

My Surgeon contacted me today & said the incision is fine & has me put Neosporin & clean bandage on daily. He also said some of the meds I'm on cause diarrhea & took me off one to see if that helps. I feel much better hearing from him. I'm also feeling much better today overall. Kind of had a breakthrough last night with the pain. I'm hoping it only gets better from here. Here's to getting better every day!

From your lips to God's ears! Glad you are feeling better. I was kind of like that on Day 4 after surgery. Suddenly things just seem to be better. Praying for your recovery!

Had RNY Gastric Bypass last Monday (6 days ago). Everything went great! Went home the following day. Following instructions to the T. But yesterday my pain started increasing especially on my left side. I really hoped I would feel improvement by now but it's actually worse. Dr hasn't been available all weekend of course but went to urgent care last night (which was pointless as the Dr had no clue anything about WLS patients). The nurse told me to go due to the puss that developed under the glue on the incision site but they said its not infected.

Anyway, the pain on my left side is constant and kind of feels like when you drink too much then exercise and get those cramps. But when I walk it's even worse. And there's a burning sensation on my lower abdomen (nowhere near incision site). Just wondering if anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Also having regular diarrhea (sorry tmi) and Dr said it was normal a few days ago but most people are constipated. I sure hope this gets easier soon. I can't even put my socks & shoes on by myself. Lol. I'm hopeful but just so shocked at how bad things still are.

I'm 3 weeks post op, and have the same pain, but on my right side! Bending over is excruciating! I can't stretch, reach, kneel, anything without that incessant pain. And the burning! I literally clutch my stomach/side when I feel it. Idk what it is- but it's a relief to know I'm not the only one experiencing it. I emailed my surgeon, I'm hoping he gets back to me soon, because I'm due to go back to work next Monday- and idk how I'm going to do it with this pain!

No drain for me. And the pain subsides when I lay down. I just don't understand. I thought it's supposed to help to walk but I went to Walmart today with my husband & I wish I had my pillow to hold against my left side b/c it was awful. It's almost like I need some compression there. You're only 3 days out Labcop so I would think it's normal. But 5-6 days out like this? I was hoping to be off pain meds by now but I might need a refill. Let's see what my surgeon says tomorrow.

I feel bad for my friend. She had the sleeve the same day as me & has had it worse than me. 3 nights in hospital for nausea. Today she sort of blacked out when she stood up. So I feel like I e got it easy compared to her.

I've found that wear compression garments do help, because the muscle needs assistance while your tummy is in a weakened state. I got mine from Target for $25. It helps so much! Walking up and down the steps is pain free. The bending still hurts, but compression garments definitely are worth looking into.

Did your surgeon ok the compression garments. Being only one week out I'm afraid to do that but that's exactly what I feel like would help b/c when I walk the pain feels better if I hold my arm on my left side. Or even a pillow. Which is what they told me to do when getting up. Roll up a towel and hold it on my tummy with o e arm while I use the other to get up. I use the bariatric pillow the hospital gave us. My pain is actually subsiding today but it is still worse on that side then anywhere else.

My surgeon encouraged me wearing the garments. It's a world of difference!

Did your surgeon ok the compression garments. Being only one week out I'm afraid to do that but that's exactly what I feel like would help b/c when I walk the pain feels better if I hold my arm on my left side. Or even a pillow. Which is what they told me to do when getting up. Roll up a towel and hold it on my tummy with o e arm while I use the other to get up. I use the bariatric pillow the hospital gave us. My pain is actually subsiding today but it is still worse on that side then anywhere else.

My surgeon was explaining to me why it was important to get compression garments, and apply a heat pack as well. So much relief!

I have a one piece that has straps , and shorts. The shorts of the onesie are similar to Spanx, but the torso is more of a stronger material.