Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I am 5' 5" 1/2 I weigh 312 and I was thinking I wanted the sleeve, now I'm thinking maybe the GB.

I'm so confused! I am on meds for HBP, and Prozac for anxiety plus Water pills to help with BP.

I am not pre diabetic I do like sweets though just not all the time. I think my thing is breads n pastas and not moving enough obviously.

Just needing some input from some that have had this done and if you was debating what did you choose and why. Also I will be getting my surgeon's advice just looking for others also. Thank you

☆Jeni☆

☆Jeni☆

Ok so I am 5' 5" 1/2 I weigh 312 and I was thinking I wanted the sleeve, now I'm thinking maybe the GB.

I'm so confused! I am on meds for HBP, and Prozac for anxiety plus water pills to help with BP.

I am not pre diabetic I do like sweets though just not all the time. I think my thing is breads n pastas and not moving enough obviously.

Just needing some input from some that have had this done and if you was debating what did you choose and why. Also I will be getting my surgeon's advice just looking for others also. Thank you

☆Jeni☆

☆Jeni☆

I'm so confused! I am on meds for HBP, and Prozac for anxiety plus Water pills to help with BP.

☆Jeni☆

☆Jeni☆

Quoted myself, sorry for the messup

☆Jeni☆

I had a BMI of 33. And was considering VGS. Yet my surgeon recommended Mini Gastric Bypass (MGB) for the following reasons:-

1- mini gastric bypass has less risk of bleeding and leakage compared to gastric sleeve because the stapling line is much shorter.

2- the hype around gastric sleeve is because nowadays general surgeons and not Bariatric surgeons are doing gastric sleeve and it's becoming more available and the stapling company is paying so much to advertise for the surgery because it uses more stapling.

3- mini gastric bypass is reversable. So if anything happens we can always go back. Where as with gastric sleeve it's not reversable.

4- with both procedures patients need to take in Multivitamins but mini gastric bypass is not associated with more malabsorption than gastric sleeve. And the surgeon can adjust to some extend can modify the surgery so as to cause slightly better absorption (something to do with where to reconnect the intestines).

5- chances of regaining weight with gastric sleeve is higher that with mini gastric bypass.

6- type 2 diabetics respond better to MGB than to Gastroc sleeve

7- the % of of total weight loss is almost the same with the two surgeries

8- the chances of developing GERD following MGB is much less than with VGS.

The best option is to discuss with several doctors and try to really process it well before you make your final decision. I had PCOS so I had insulin resistance issues

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm not real sure to be honest, I just know I don't wanna fail at this. I am tired of being this way and there's alot to do n alot goes on and it's work I just wanna be successful and do what's best for me.

I know I cheat when on a "diet" so I don't wanna be able to do that and something that reinforces that it's not good will be great for me

☆Jeni☆

Talk to your Surgeon and NUT about your eating habits and they'll help decide what's best. I'm not sure success is different with either option - you still need to change the way you eat. My Surgeon suggested the sleeve for me.

@@KristenLe I plan on talking with them for sure as this is my final appointment this month actually about 2 1/2 weeks just nerves I think

☆Jeni☆

Gastric Bypass is the gold standard of weight loss surgery. It is the simple truth. You will lose more weight after gastric bypass than any other type of surgery. You will also maintain more weight lost after the surgery in the long term.

The sleeve is more suitable for people who have less to lose. If your BMI is 45 or above then gastric bypass should be your first choice if you are healthy enough to have the surgery. Choosing either surgery is a very serious decision. Both require a tremendous amount of commitment to be successful.

Be ready to commit to a permanent change of lifestyle. This means tracking your food intake daily and exercising regularly for the rest of your life.

Gastric Bypass is the gold standard of weight loss surgery. It is the simple truth. You will lose more weight after gastric bypass than any other type of surgery. You will also maintain more weight lost after the surgery in the long term.

The sleeve is more suitable for people who have less to lose. If your BMI is 45 or above then gastric bypass should be your first choice if you are healthy enough to have the surgery. Choosing either surgery is a very serious decision. Both require a tremendous amount of commitment to be successful.

Be ready to commit to a permanent change of lifestyle. This means tracking your food intake daily and exercising regularly for the rest of your life.

That's interesting - my surgeon recommended Gastric Sleeve for me - with a BMI of 54. After our consultation - he indicated that there really was no need for me to have the mal-absorption that the Bypass would provide. He's very confident that I can lose as much weight with the Sleeve and maintain - IF I change my lifestyle - which I'd have to do with either surgery to be successful. What evidence do you have that indicates bypass should be my first choice?

KritenLe,

This comes from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, the largest national society of surgeons for this specialty. From their website they say, "The Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass – often called gastric bypass – is considered the ‘gold standard’ of weight loss surgery." The statistics show that gastric bypass patients lose 60-80% of their excess weight after surgery. Sleeve patients only lose around 50% or less of their excess weight. This is why gastric bypass is considered the gold standard. It simply works better.

Doctors are people and people have opinions. Doctors will never force you into a surgery they don't think you can handle. The sleeve is easier since you will not experience dumping syndrome. The downside of this is that you can eat things that are sugary and greasy without consequences. I'm glad I have consequences to deal with if I eat that stuff. It keeps me on the straight and narrow. I now have a normal BMI of 21.7 and have lost 176 lbs. since my gastric bypass. It has been the best decision I have ever made.

Here's the link to the ASMBS.

https://asmbs.org/

@@CharlotteKat that's why I have decided to do the bypass. I know me and I know having the "dumping" is what I'm gonna need as consequences, kinda like a "Wth are you doing" to myself lol my bmi is 50 however I never wanna be this way again and if I get off track I want my tool to make sure I know I jacked up so I know what not to do again.

☆Jeni☆

@@CharlotteKat I'm aware of the weight loss statistics of both. I was asking what evidence you had that bypass should be my 1st choice. What you don't know about me is that I'm not overweight from eating sweets or fatty foods and don't need dumping as a deterrent. My surgeon isn't concerned that I "can't handle Bypass" - he feels that I don't need Bypass and it would actually not be the 1st choice in my situation.

@@KristenLe, I think she was just saying for people that are overweight from eating wrong. Of you read back you did say you would have to change your habits as we all would some need more deterrent than others. If you can do it with the sleeve and your not afraid at some point you will start choosing bigger portions or eating more bad stuff than good then by all means choose the sleeve. We are all trying to get help with our weight n there's plenty of ways to do it, many different ways for the different people. I don't think it was a bad thing by any means but I'm just me

☆Jeni☆