Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 16th surgery buddies?.....Let's do this together!

I'm devastated, I received a letter from my surgeon yesterday to say that pathogy on my removed stomach had revealed I had Helicobacter and am now on strong antibiotics to try and eradicate it. My poor tiny tummy is to be assaulted once more. Having researched this condition I see that it is very common and in the US it seems most people are tested for it before surgery. It certainly didn't come up here in Australia and if I'd known it was a possibility I would have asked about it before hand. Something to discuss with my surgeon when I see him next week. Hubby has gone to the Chemist to get me a decent probiotic which I hope will help restore some of my stomach flora. On a positive note, I'm wearing a pair of capris today that I bought at least 6 years ago and have never worn because I couldn't do them up - result!

Question on surgery recovery... I am now over a week out from surgery but the last two days I have required a nap. But earlier in the week I could not wait to get back to work. Is anyone else more tired the further out.

Edited by adrinanna

So my surgery was the 16th and I'm feeling pretty much normal again.....I'm eating normal food just very small amounts! Being able to eat normal food has made all the difference in the world. I love that I'm not putting all those chemicals in my body anymore with those horrid Protein drinks.......I'm only drinking one once in a while now when I feel like I need a little something extra. How's everyone else doing with eating now?

I am on 2 Protein Shakes and 3 small meals at about 2 oz each

Question on surgery recovery... I am now over a week out from surgery but the last two days I have required a nap. But earlier in the week I could not wait to get back to work. Is anyone else more tired the further out.

Yes, I totally experienced that! & I'll tell you like someone told me... it's totally normal and it's ok to rest.????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

So my surgery was the 16th and I'm feeling pretty much normal again.....I'm eating normal food just very small amounts! Being able to eat normal food has made all the difference in the world. I love that I'm not putting all those chemicals in my body anymore with those horrid Protein drinks.......I'm only drinking one once in a while now when I feel like I need a little something extra. How's everyone else doing with eating now?

I'm on purée foods now. Is your body okay with regular foods now? And I can't stand those Protein Shakes

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm on purée foods now. Is your body okay with regular foods now? And I can't stand those Protein shakes

Yes I haven't had any issues at all! My plan said once I started pureed to progress as tolerated and I tolerated everything fine......So I'm eating normal food making sure to chew really well and eating slowly because I fill up really fast (which is a good thing).....I'm eating protein first and if I have room a couple bites of veggies....I"m not eating any starches or breads as I want to loose as much weight as possible in this first year.

I'm happy to hear everyone is doing well. I start purée and soft foods tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm on that for two weeks then progress to regular food and lots of chewing. Lol

I'm 2 weeks out today and just like kmorri, I feel totally fine and I am eating regular foods just fine. I only have a shake a day if that. My favorite foods are ahi poke (Costco has it fresh, nice and soft and delicious, loaded with protein), egg salad, avocado, cheese and canned chicken. Yay! After that first day in the hospital I am so happy to feel this good so quickly.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Aren't you all so happy to have the surgery over with and be on the road to a healthier life? :-)

I am so jealous that you guys get to eat real food. I am suppose to be on liquids/puréed for 4 weeks.

nmr83, ugh, sorry. I know you'll get through and at least the worst part is over. I don't understand why the doctors vary so much in their post-op instructions. I was scared because it seems most people are still on shakes/pureed food. It seems like there should be a universal set of instructions, but I'm no doctor so maybe it is more of an individual thing.

Good luck, sending positive vibes to you and all the group.

Thanks, I have my follow up tomorrow. It would be nice since I haven't had any issues if they would progress me to the next stage.

Had my 2 week followup today and can now officially move on to purees! Doc says I'm healing well but still gotta take it easy, no lifting more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks. Also gotta work harder at getting all my fluids in. So I have a bunch of baby food stocked up and I am SO looking forward to eggs and cottage cheese and anything other than stupid Protein shakes!

Since hearing everyone else progression to regular foods, I've tried it and I feel so much better! I've done soft foods and basically lean meats only and constantly drinking Water about 30mins-hour after eating