Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 16th surgery buddies?.....Let's do this together!

So what are all my 16th surgery buddies up to this morning?.....Are we all ready? I started throwing a few things in a bag this morning. I can't believe how close we are!!! What's everyone feeling? Right now I'm mostly excited....a little nervous, but mostly excited!!!

I'm pretty scared/anxious. I've been taking a lorazepam to go to bed each night for the past 2 nights. Things I'm scared about include: the surgery itself; the recovery and potential complications, and hair loss (I have thin, fine hair to begin with and really can't afford to lose any). My surgeon doesn't require a liquid diet until 24 hours before so I a bit nervous about what Sunday is going to be like. I'm also scared about the social repercussions as I have a lot of friends that I haven't told.

With all that said, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I thought about this decision for a year before I made it and slowly started the process. And I have such bad osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis with a lot of pain and mobility impairment (esp. now that I can't take NSAIDS before surgery or afterward for awhile). I'm so hopeful that once I lose a significant amount of weight I might actually be pain-free or at least have greatly reduced pain and greatly improved mobility. I'm also looking forward to smaller size clothes options, let's be real here. But health is my main motivator. I'm in my early-mid 40s and I without taking this step, I can't imagine what the next half of my life (one can only hope) would look like. So, I'm as ready as I'll ever be!

@@harlem_femme, I love all of your reasons for losing weight! I'm about 10 years older than you - 57 next month. It's more than TIME for a healthy life! It's going to be our time now.

May 16 is my surgery date, too!! I'm having the gastric sleeve. Just completed my pre-op nutrition appointment. Next is surgery. In excited but very nervous!!

Which Protein shakes are you all using? I use Quest. I like it, but just would like to know if there's something better out there.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Premiere Protein Shakes for me. They are 30g Protein each, so it's easy to get the daily protein quota.

@@Maggie Journey Hey Maggie, any new news? How's your insurance/financing issue coming along?

@@Maggie Journey Hey Maggie, any new news? How's your insurance/financing issue coming along?

Hey K! I just posted a very lengthy answer in my other thread, http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/367484-shocking-news-im-pre-certified-but-not-approved-for-insurance/page-3

Very interesting turn of events!

So what are all my 16th surgery buddies up to this morning?.....Are we all ready? I started throwing a few things in a bag this morning. I can't believe how close we are!!! What's everyone feeling? Right now I'm mostly excited....a little nervous, but mostly excited!!!

Oh I am SO ready! I've been packed for a week, lol! Sick and tired of this liquid diet (cheated and ate a meatball out of my hub's Pasta :P). Had my pre-op yesterday and I'm more convinced than ever he's the best doc on the planet, really went out of his way to answer all my questions and allay my fears. Peed in a cup, had some blood drawn, all results normal, good to go! I'll find out tomorrow what time I have to be there Monday. Today I went and got my hair did, it's WICKED short, easy to care for and if any falls out it won't be such a big deal :) I'm just anxious and ready to start this new chapter of my life!

This 2 week liquid diet sure is a roller-coaster ride. Some days I feel like an angry, exhausted badger. Other days I've got it together and can plow through the day. Some nights I sleep well. Other nights pretty poorly. Let's talk about Poop: My doc asked me yesterday at my pre-op appointment if I was having trouble with diarrhea or Constipation. I told him I hadn't pooped more than a tootsie roll in 4 days. I've been taking Benefiber every day, nothing. He recommended Miralax.

Work has been super-stressful, trying to prepare to be out for 2 weeks. There is a lot going on where I work and I'm sort of the only person who does a lot of the things I do. I've been working late every night this week catching up and preparing. Only one day left to train co-workers. STRESS.

Something crazy happened a few days ago. I was backing out of a parking space at a grocery store and this guy in a truck coming from the opposite direction turned into me and tore my bumper from one end to the other. Constant insurance tasks, phone calls, police reports, etc. etc. etc. STRESS.

Throughout this process over the past 7 months or so I've had my moments of "should I really do this? alter my internal organs for life? not eat a full restaurant sized portion ever again in one sitting?", probably the questions we all ask ourselves, or worry about. Now, I'm peaceful about it. I know that this is exactly what I need to do. My health is going to turn around dramatically. I'm going to get off of all or nearly all of my meds. I'm literally reversing diseases! I feel good and confident about this surgery, not stressed or afraid. My life is about to be amazing. :D Bring it!

Three more days. THREE!! Then one wake-up after that, and my life changes. <3

Edited by Maggie Journey

I go from being super excited to scared of what could go wrong. Everyone keeps telling me it will be fine. But my mom who I would say is my best friend doesn't really approve of my surgery so I can't talk to her cause she will just tell me if I'm scared not to have the surgery.

It's at night when I get more scared of the surgery and complications when I am putting my son to bed. All I keep thinking is I have to be here for him. If something goes wrong will he even remember me. He just turned 2. He is the main reason I want the surgery so I can get healthy so hopefully I can be around longer for him.

I've sort of become more resigned to it as the days have gone by after having major doubts after my pre-op with my surgeon’s registrar. Lovely, lovely lady but she did question whether this was the right surgery for me and had I considered the band. Who knows what is right and what is wrong but it’s happening on Monday at 1.30 pm West Australian time. I’ve shopped for all my travel sized toiletries and splurged on a pair of new pjs in Target which were just $10 when I got to the till. Maggie journey I’ll see your 57 and raise you 10 lol. I’m doing this so I don’t end up like some of my long passed relatives being pushed around in a wheel chair. I have this amazing photo of my great grannie in her wicker bath chair overflowing in every direction with my tiny grandad getting prepared to push her. God knows how he managed it. I want to enjoy my grandchildren to the full, there’s another on the way, due in October. I want to knock my diabetes on the head, or at the very least, control it with diet. This 2 weeks on Optifast has seen my blood sugar levels drop dramatically. Yes I’m scared. I’m frightened I won’t wake up. Then I’m frightened my hair will drop out and turn grey. I’m nervous about eating afterwards but hey ho, onwards and upwards I say.

I'm pretty scared/anxious. I've been taking a lorazepam to go to bed each night for the past 2 nights. Things I'm scared about include: the surgery itself; the recovery and potential complications, and hair loss (I have thin, fine hair to begin with and really can't afford to lose any). My surgeon doesn't require a liquid diet until 24 hours before so I a bit nervous about what Sunday is going to be like. I'm also scared about the social repercussions as I have a lot of friends that I haven't told.

With all that said, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I thought about this decision for a year before I made it and slowly started the process. And I have such bad osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis with a lot of pain and mobility impairment (esp. now that I can't take NSAIDS before surgery or afterward for awhile). I'm so hopeful that once I lose a significant amount of weight I might actually be pain-free or at least have greatly reduced pain and greatly improved mobility. I'm also looking forward to smaller size clothes options, let's be real here. But health is my main motivator. I'm in my early-mid 40s and I without taking this step, I can't imagine what the next half of my life (one can only hope) would look like. So, I'm as ready as I'll ever be! [/quote

I have been feeling a lot of anxiety as well and started wondering. Why I am doing this. I have wondered if having that two week pre-diet gives you something to have to focus on instead of surgery anxiety. I know the pre-op diet is bad and I have my three preop days coming soon. I think I am actually looking forward to it. I hope I have a very energizing weekend. I have a ton I need to do to make sure things are prepared for the next 14 days.

Thanks all for the words that I am not alone. I know I over analyze things.I feel like God told me to do this so I should be confident that things will turn out fine. Most of you will be safely at home next week and starting your new normal

Wow! it's Friday already!.........can you all believe we're just a weekend away ??? I can't wait! I still have more excitement than nerves, I hope it stays this way!!!

Wow! it's Friday already!.........can you all believe we're just a weekend away ??? I can't wait! I still have more excitement than nerves, I hope it stays this way!!!

I think I'm even with those. Haven't been able to sleep all week.

Just got my surgery time - 8:30am, have to be there between 6-6:30am. I had been hoping for later in the day as I am so not a morning person and even the idea of having to get up so early makes me anxious and then I can't get to sleep. I also hope my surgical team is awake and alert first thing in the morning! I was thinking maybe it would be better to be 2nd of the day, once they got into the swing of it. Obviously they know what they're doing and are professionals but still...

Also, this is dumb but, apparently they arrange the surgeries each day by BMI with the highest BMI patients earliest and then down the list. I feel ashamed for being upset that I'm the biggest! I don't judge anyone by their size, knowing how it has felt for me to be treated so poorly for being my size, but still, I can't help but feel upset that I'm the biggest!

I'm trying to look on the bright side: 1) earliest in the day means more of the day to work on walking and keeping liquids down, etc. and that will increase the chance I'll go home the next day instead of Wednesday; 2) I won't have to spend much time thirsty, hungry as well as anxious before I go under; 3) It will be easier to get across the city in a cab (I live in Manhattan, NYC) at that time...I'm sure there are other things.

I can't believe this is 3 days away. So anxious. I know this is what I need to do but I can't help but have thoughts like "what if I'm making a terrible mistake?!?" I take comfort in remembering that every time I've seen a question from a pre-op person in a FB support group about whether or not others in the group regret their surgeries, a good 97% of commenters say they don't regret anything, even if they had complications. Those who do regret their surgeries are a tiny minority. I can do this right?!