Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a week before my surgery a coworker (very small office) had her cousin die in the hospital immediately following WLS.

I did not have the health issues he had and it didn't worry me. I was far more concerned that obesity would take my life than this surgery.

However, that being said, anytime I have ever had surgery I did review my will and documents, just in case. I have children, one still a minor, and I think that is just being responsible. I didn't expect to die, but I didn't want to leave anything unclear.

Edited by Christinamo7

I think it's normal to have concerns going into any major surgery. I do not know anyone who died from WLS but know someone who came close to it. He didn't follow his post op directions and developed a bleeding ulcer. He spent about 2 weeks in the hospital. Instances are rare and this situation was of his own doing.

I had prayer with my family before surgery and had complete peace. I was so excited to start my new life knowing death was a real possibility if I DIDN'T have surgery :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Omg, i thought i was the only 1 who had these thoughts and not just the happy and excited thoughts....I was fine until the night before my surgery...I had to drive myself to the hospital at 5am because i have 3 young daughters that needed to get to school and hubby had to do it...So of course the night before im making sure i didnt forget anything that needed to be done for the time i was going to stay at the hospital (my hubby is good but not that good..lol..with 3 girls, school, dinners and softball it was better i had everything in order for him..lol..) Anyway, after i sat down i said to myself i need to write a letter to my daughters and him if, god forbid something happens...I even thought, why would u think like this??? But in reality things happens whether the chances are low and i always worry and thats just me....I wrote my letter and even writing it made me sad and cry.. I left it in a place i knew they would see that night as they were getting ready for bed...After the surgery i told my him when he got home to get rid of it...Everything went well and it was the best decision i mad...im so very happy i did it...I wish u the best and a speedy recovery :0)

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

@@1cutiejulie May 13th

@@Christinamo7 can I ask what health issues did he have?

It was my coworker's cousin - so I had a general idea about some serious problems with blood sugar and heart - but nothing specific that I could go into.

Many years ago a co-worker of mine had gastric bypass. She was going to be out of the office for several weeks. About 2 weeks after her surgery we were notified she passed away. She developed a serious infection and did not notify her doctor or even go to the ER until it was too late.

The last time I saw her was literally her last day at work. She was extremely excited and bubbly and was even jumping up and down at one point just thinking about how this would change her life. It was very sad.

@@1cutiejulie if you feel you need to say your goodbyes, do it. I knew someone, who knew someone who died post bypass (a couple of days out of surgery).

IMO, being scared pre-WLS for most, is pretty normal. I was 52 and scared too, but once I got in the OR and the guy started talking to me (as they placed the mask over my face) I felt very calm.

Next thing I knew I was in recovery.

My point is that a lot of anxiety and fear of the unknown causes a lot of sleeplessness and worry.

Wish you the very best and do what you feel you need to do pre-op, like getting your affairs in order, saying goodbye, etc.

NO REGRETS!

Has anyone lost someone to WLS? Before your surgery did u feel like u were gonna die? Is this a normal feeling? Should I actually say my good byes? 1 week to go

If u fail to plan, u plan to fail.

I knew of someone who passed due to complications post op. She wasn't following post op dietary guidelines and so while the actual surgery did not take her, poor aftercare did. However I also know a dozen people who have had surgery and are doing great. Obviously both scenarios were on my mind pre-op.

So I did a few things to "put my house in order" as a "just in case". I recommend you do the same. No surgery is without risk but assuming you have found a reputable surgeon and are a compliant patient both pre and post operatively, the risk is in fact very, very small. One thing that helped a lot was talking to other post op patients from my surgeons office. I found that very reassuring. Best wishes.

@@1cutiejulie

I had decided I would rather die fast, then keep killing myself slowly, if I died on the table or something. My health was starting to rapidly decline, so I felt like I had nothing to lose.

Looking back that seems so overly dramatic, but I had made peace with it. I didn't say goodbyes to people though, I try to always live every day like it would be my last, so I don't have a life of regrets. Everyone I love knows I love them.

If you are in good health the risk is very low something catastrophic will happen.

Talk to the team when you get there, they will help you stay relaxed.

I won't say "good luck", you don't need it, but instead "I'm looking forward to reading your posts after your WLS".

U all are so wonderful. I'm about to see my surgeon this afternoon and then my anesthesia team. They WILL know how I'm feeling by the end of today. Anyway it goes, I appreciate the responses and encouragement! U guys ROCK!!! :-)

If u fail to plan, u plan to fail.

the death rate is very low, but it is normal to be scared. I wrote letters to my kids and made sure my basic affairs were in order. I don't personally know anyone who has died from WLS. I do have two relatives who died from obesity caused heart failure. My niece was 40 and my sister in law was 64 - they both dropped dead instantly; both were very heavy.

I also know someone who died too young several years post gastri bypass. She was a diabetic and became an alcoholic / drug abuser. She died in her sleep - not from WLS, but from her addictions combined with the diabetes.

I don't think anybody was trying to be flippant.... people just get brief in answering questions.

anyone lost someone to WLS? Before surgery did u feel like u were gonna die? is this a normal feeling? Should I actually say my good byes? 1 week to go

@@1cutiejulie

I never knew anyone who died during surgery (phew :rolleyes: )

i never feared death (not even while i was morbidly obese)

i feared living life being morbidly obese

i've had many surgeries over the years (mainly orthopedic)

anesthesia, actual surgery are just another day!! (ew, that sounds awful!!)

reading the boards,you'll find OP who had mixed emotions prior to surgery

(post op too)

normal to experience different feelings

i didn't feel the need to say an extra good-bye to loved ones

i KNEW i would see them PO

i said "see you later" a couple of times ;)

if it would make you feel better to say bye, go for it!!

good luck next week

speedy recovery

kathy