Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm four days post op, sleeved on 4/14

I've tried to keep a positive attitude throughout, but today it's been difficult to do so.

I'm an over-prepper. I've read hundreds of forum threads and watched dozens of youtube videos. I came into this knowing exactly what to expect, that there were a lot of different possible things that could happen and pains I might feel, but that my journey would be my own. I knew about Water nausea, gas pains, walking, throwing up, lightheadedness, Protein, the works,

What I wasn't prepared for was the abdominal pain. The 'big stitch'.

This is the pain in my lower abdomen, right side, from the biggest incision, where the stomach is pulled through. There's a figure 8 stitch underneath the surface keeping my tissue and muscles together so I won't get a hernia in this spot. And it's some of the worst pain I've ever felt.

You don't really realize how much you use your core/abdominal muscles until you suddenly can't. Lifting my right leg is nearly impossible because of the pain. So is pulling with my right arm. In the hospital, the techs had to lift my right leg for me when I got in and out of bed. Everything has to be done with my left side.. pulling myself into bed, off the toilet, or getting out of a vehicle. My legs dangled off the edge of the seat in my roommate's truck when I tried getting out on day 2, and it was the most excruciating 30 seconds or so of my life until he came and helped lower me down to the ground. I was nauseous from it and nearly threw up. Because of that, I haven't dared leave the house in a vehicle in fear of repeating it. I can't put on socks or pants by myself. I feel like an invalid.

I am discouraged this morning. I've been trying to take myself off the tramadol so I can be somewhat coherent. I don't like feeling drugged up, because it makes me lethargic and I spend the day dozing in and out of sleep. I want to be walking and active (and have been. I walk around the house several times a day and have gone on two long walks around the neighborhood). I want to start healing. But the abdominal pain is nearly constant, shooting to a 10 on the pain scale when I use those muscles. So, I took a dose of meds this morning.

I'm really surprised this pain hasn't been really talked about in this forum and others. Is it because it's rare to have? Does it resolve quickly for most people? I'm feeling pretty alone in this. My gas pain has been so minimal, and drinking Water has been so easy, I feel like if i didn't have this stitch pain, I'd have a very easy ride right now. But this has been almost all I can focus on due to the intensity.

I could use some support.. words of encouragement.. advice.. anything. I know this will be worth it in the end. I'm not falling into the trap of buyer's remorse. But this is still very difficult to handle physically and mentally here in the moment.

Edited by Ruth1ess

@@Ruth1ess - ok, REALITY CHECK!

you had surgery 4 days ago - - - are you running a temp? IMHO, and I am not a doctor, I would give it another day or so. Take the pain meds if you need them. Are you applying heat/ice to the site? What were your instructions?

Call your doctor. Ask them if the norm is to be 4 days post and uncomfortable and go from there. They are the professionals, and if you need to go back in to see them they will tell you.

​Good morning, I am so sorry you are having a rough time. I understand and you are not alone. I thought I was 100% prepared as well. Since I have had laproscopic surgery before, I thought I would not be surprised by the pain. I was wrong, it hurt a lot worse than expected. I had to take the pain medication for at least 6-7 days. It's okay to rest and doze, your body needs this. There is plenty of time to become active, but right now you just need to heal. Give it a little longer, I promise you will feel better. Call your surgeon's office if you feel the pain is not decreasing, keep in contact with them. Stay hydrated and rest.

I'm sorry this is throwing you for a loop. Getting in and out of bed was the worst part of that for me, but it improved quickly and I hardly remember it now!

Take your pain meds while you need them, and be assured that this will heal pretty quickly. Honest!

I didn't experience anything like that. Otherwise you can be sure I would have posted about it and tried to warn you!

I am sorry you're having such an issue. I had very mild pain there, I felt it for sure, but it did not limit me.

I would ask the doctor if there is something less sedating they could give you. They regularly prescribe a medication here that makes me nutty (oxysomething) so I asked for Lortab instead and felt much better.

I had my surgery the same day as you , I have no pain what so ever as far as the stitching. I have tons of itching though and gas pains omg no-one told me about them and they are so bad!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using the BariatricPal App

Don't be a hero. Take your pain meds if you need them. That's why they are prescribed.

You just had major surgery. Take it a little easy on yourself, hmmmm?

@@Ruth1ess I totally agree with @jane13. Give it a day or two. Use some ice or heat on the area. Make sure you are resting and not over-doing it. If that doesn't work, call your doctor.

I was in mild pain but nothing severe. I think I took pain meds for 3 days then was off all narcotics. I know that everyone heals at a different rate but I would certainly loop your doctor into what is going on.

If you are having enough pain to be concerned enough to post about it, CALL YOUR SURGEON.

He/she is the one to advise you and put your mind at ease--if your pain is "expected".

If you need to be seen, or if you need a different pain med(not one pain med fits all), then SHE/HE is the one that can do that.

Take care of yourself. You're the only you that you have! :)

Leave the medical issues/concerns with the professionals that you just entrusted your life with. You are worth it!!!

Call your surgeon, please and let us know how you're doing.

We care about you, my friend.

I'm four days post op, sleeved on 4/14

I've tried to keep a positive attitude throughout, but today it's been difficult to do so.

I'm an over-prepper. I've read hundreds of forum threads and watched dozens of youtube videos. I came into this knowing exactly what to expect, that there were a lot of different possible things that could happen and pains I might feel, but that my journey would be my own. I knew about Water nausea, gas pains, walking, throwing up, lightheadedness, Protein, the works,

What I wasn't prepared for was the abdominal pain. The 'big stitch'.

This is the pain in my lower abdomen, right side, from the biggest incision, where the stomach is pulled through. There's a figure 8 stitch underneath the surface keeping my tissue and muscles together so I won't get a hernia in this spot. And it's some of the worst pain I've ever felt.

You don't really realize how much you use your core/abdominal muscles until you suddenly can't. Lifting my right leg is nearly impossible because of the pain. So is pulling with my right arm. In the hospital, the techs had to lift my right leg for me when I got in and out of bed. Everything has to be done with my left side.. pulling myself into bed, off the toilet, or getting out of a vehicle. My legs dangled off the edge of the seat in my roommate's truck when I tried getting out on day 2, and it was the most excruciating 30 seconds or so of my life until he came and helped lower me down to the ground. I was nauseous from it and nearly threw up. Because of that, I haven't dared leave the house in a vehicle in fear of repeating it. I can't put on socks or pants by myself. I feel like an invalid.

I am discouraged this morning. I've been trying to take myself off the tramadol so I can be somewhat coherent. I don't like feeling drugged up, because it makes me lethargic and I spend the day dozing in and out of sleep. I want to be walking and active (and have been. I walk around the house several times a day and have gone on two long walks around the neighborhood). I want to start healing. But the abdominal pain is nearly constant, shooting to a 10 on the pain scale when I use those muscles. So, I took a dose of meds this morning.

I'm really surprised this pain hasn't been really talked about in this forum and others. Is it because it's rare to have? Does it resolve quickly for most people? I'm feeling pretty alone in this. My gas pain has been so minimal, and drinking Water has been so easy, I feel like if i didn't have this stitch pain, I'd have a very easy ride right now. But this has been almost all I can focus on due to the intensity.

I could use some support.. words of encouragement.. advice.. anything. I know this will be worth it in the end. I'm not falling into the trap of buyer's remorse. But this is still very difficult to handle physically and mentally here in the moment.

Don't get "buyers remorse" .

This is not your fault. This is faulty 'pain management' after a MAJOR surgery. And most likely it's the fault of the latest absurd CDC Guidelines. OR hopefully I am wrong and you requested as little pain control as possible. All Tramadol does IS make you a tad sleepy, like the morphine in the hospital. Even nurses will admit morphine is not an effective pain control medication, but its safe after most anesthesia.

I give Tramadol to my rescue dogs if they have surgery because it's safe and effective for them.

I am so sorry. You did nothing wrong. But please clarify, just so that I am not frightfully angry about your pain or at your Surgeon, can you please tell me why you don't have a different type of pain control this soon out of a major surgery? TY!

PS I'm pretty sure you haven't heard of extreme pain before because most people do get adequate pain control for a time period, then taper off.

Edited by Amelie2016

Don't mean to be pushing ( :) really, I do! :) ). Have you called your surgeon's office yet?

You have every right to be pain free--as much as reasonably possible. Call, what can it "hurt"?

Please?

@@Valentina @@Amelie2016

I've called my surgeon's office. Calls don't go straight through the nurse, but it's a 'we'll call you back' situation. My phone's sim has been acting up for the past couple of weeks, so it's not accepting inbound calls, so we're back to emailing..

I explained the situation and what I was feeling, including my displeasure with tramadol. I'll update when I get an answer.

@@Amelie2016 I can't answer why I was given Tramadol, other than that's what they gave me. I do get quite nauseous from vicodin, so that could be why.

Sending hugs and good vibes ruthless! My sleeve is on Wednesday morning. Excited, but nervous! Hope your pain goes away!!!

Got my response!

I would indicate that this pain is normal, especially only a couple days out of surgery. I would suggest wearing an abdominal binder around your stomach when you are moving around to help with pain and stabilization. Make sure you are up moving around, even if you are sore as this will help with blood flow and healing. If you continue to have extreme pain while taking medication please call again or go to ER, but i believe this should subside soon. You can add in extra strength tylenol and alternate with your prescribed pain medication as well. Just do not exceed daily tylenol amount.

Feel better soon.

If they're not worried, I'm not worried. I'll stay medicated and try to relax.