Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve and deadly worried

My esophagus did resume back to normal, but, it took about 2 months. All our bodies heal so differently. The spasms or mild pain that I felt was off and on for a few weeks. Every now and again I feel that pain, but, it's usually from not chewing my food well enough or swallowing to quickly.

3 weeks into this would have you at the soft food (mushy) stage. If you are having issues with taking in mushies I would go back into the liquid stage for a day or so. I would also contact your doctor just to be sure. I had to revert to the liquid stage several times. The most important thing is that your stomach is healed enough to continue through the progressive diet.

Hi Moe. I was thinking about you today. How are you doing? One thing that I forgot to mention is that post op, things get better overnight and everyday you get a burst of feeling better and stronger. Anyhow, hope you are doing better. Keep me posted. jake

Hi all,

I am new here although I've been following the threads and now I need your help.

8 years back I had a bad which was removed in July 15 due to enlargement of esophagus. Waited till march 16 to have a sleeve. After sleeve dr mentioned that I have motility issue in my esophagus. Now I'm 3rd week after op and deadly worried as I had a pain in my stomach (on and off) yesterday .good to mention that yesterday was my first day in mashed . Any advise to ease my mind as I feel my stomach is contracted due to stress I'm putting myself in .

Also please would you let me know signs of leak and when it shows when leak happens. Finally what is the period where leak happens and when you consider yourself safe or over it .

Thank you guys for your support

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What country are you in? And what country did u have your surgery in? You could start by seeing your family doctor and discussing your concerns. Stop the puree and stick with liquids until you feel more comfortable

But please go see a doctor!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using the BariatricPal App

&jnt1 thank you I did the surgery in Lebanon and currently in dubai , I contacted my dr and till now all is going well . Sometimes I feel I am eating more than supposed to and sometimes less . Does anyone has an issue with Tomato Soup as I find it heavy . Also, what I found out from other threads that people with enlarged esophagus tend to eat more and lose weight slower and less than others? Is it correct?

You said: "Also, what I found out from other threads that people with enlarged esophagus tend to eat more and lose weight slower and less than others? Is it correct?"

I don't have a definite answer on this, but, you could be on to something. In my case with my enlarged esophagus I could eat very little during my progressive post op diet, but, a few months later I was able to progress up to 1/2 cup of food, thus, looks like my case of my enlarged esophagus did not make a difference on more food intake. I always measure my food, because I don't want to take a chance of enlarging my sleeve, like I did my lapband pouch occurring several times. I do recall my doctor telling me that my esophagus would shrink back to normal within 6 - 8 weeks. I don't feel anything that tells otherwise and asked about it at my 6 month appointment and he said all was well. Anyhow, my weight loss has been crawling slow (1 -3 pounds a month and I work out 6 days a week.).

I have my yearly appointment coming up in 3 weeks and will ask my doctor about this. Let's see what he says. IMO, my body is holding on to any nutrition it can for dear life. My body is in a serious plateau and I just have to be patient. I do have some encouraging results and that is I can get into some 32 waist pants. Heck, I think I wore a 32 waist pants when I was elementary school. LOL The pant size and the so many complements that I receive is what keeps me encouraged and going!! jake

&jnt1 thank you I did the surgery in Lebanon and currently in dubai , I contacted my dr and till now all is going well . Sometimes I feel I am eating more than supposed to and sometimes less . Does anyone has an issue with Tomato Soup as I find it heavy . Also, what I found out from other threads that people with enlarged esophagus tend to eat more and lose weight slower and less than others? Is it correct?

@@NoMoBand, how is it going with you? Since we are having the case, I did X-ray to check , all is ok, except the esophagus which is still dilated ,lower part of it , and the doctor in his report mentioned a large hernia . Have you faced such thing? I'm still having a delay of food passage from esophagus to stomach and I feel pain a bit while the food pass. What about u?

I had a hernia and repair when I had the lapband done. No hernia present with the sleeve revision surgery.

The hernia is probably the cause to your issues, along with the lower dilated esophagus that is still healing. You will probably need to get the hernia repaired. Unfortunately it requires surgery. What did the surgeon tell you?

I'm doing well. The only complaint I have is that acid reflux is back again after getting better 6 months post op. I take a 24 hour Nexium pill that works really well. I had an appointment to see my doc next Thursday and they cancelled and rescheduled for May 12.

Keep me posted on your progress. Jake

Moe, my hernia was repaired at the same time that I had my lap band installed. Prior to getting the lapband I remember that I had issues with heartburn that was due to the hernia. After the hernia repair and lapband install, all my heartburn issues went away. Now, with the sleeve I have heartburn again. My doctor warned me that many patients have issues with acid reflux (heartburn) post op with sleeve and must be on medications. Unfortunately I am one of the unfortunates. :-( He also told me that there is a very good chance that the heartburn will go away, but, that is not a absolute. I'll just have to wait and be patient. jake

Remember I'm 1 year out. My food intake is 1/2 cup at meals and is plenty for me. Sometimes I can finish it and sometimes I cannot. I got into a habit of measuring my meals. My esophagus issue was resolved a few months after surgery on it's own.

As far as pain, every now and again, I get a pain in my stomach when I eat too fast or don't chew my food, but, I know how to prevent it. jake