Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good News, Bad News

The Good News is that I found a doctor (a couple of 'em actually) here in Colorado that will do fills and follow-up care for patients banded in Mexico.

I went to see Dr. Johnelle in Greely (about two hours from where I live in south Denver Metro)

The bad news is that after my 2nd fill, I still don't have any restriction. They sent me for a flouroscopy before my fill. Even though Dr. Johnelle's office is in the hospital, the flouro lab was about 10 miles away. What a pain.

Dr. Kuri gave me my first fill in October of almost 2.0 cc's. Of that initial fill, 1.3 cc's was still 'left' in the band. The PA went ahead and gave me a fill of .7 cc's, which only took me back to my starting fill level. When I asked for a bigger fiil than that, the PA said that .7 cc's was still more agressive than Dr. Johnelle like to be. He prefers to only give .3 to .5 cc's per fill. If you've got insurance that will cover all those visits - great! But I'm a self-pay and would appreciate a slightly more aggresive approach.

I guess I'll go back again in 2 weeks for another fill. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

My prayer/wish for all new bandsters - may you feel restriction right out of the gate!

Did they see any leaks when they did the flouro? Does Dr. Johnelle and Dr. Kuri use the saline fills or the contrast ones? I just got my first fill of 1 cc. and can't imagine being any tighter but I know we are all individual. Best of luck and wishes to you, Teresa

Hi Theresa -

They weren't looking for leaks with the flouro - just to see band placement.

Both Dr's use saline to fill the band.

That would really suck if I had a leak!! Maybe Dr. Kuri has 1 year, 10,000 mile warranty on the bands he places!

You are very lucky that you were restricted right out of the gate!! I wish I could be there, too!

2 cc's in me and nothing! I can still eat just like always. No restriction, no pb, no nothing!

Thanks for your well wishes!! I'm not giving up yet. Just kind of frustrated...

Kim, some bandsters need 2 to 3 fills before they feel restriction. It's also possible that the second fill just hasn't kicked in yet. This can sometimes take a few weeks for you to feel. Please do be careful the amounts that you're eating. Even though you're not feeling restriction, you don't want to risk stretching your pouch and/or causing band slippage. Hang in there, girl!

Hi Marie -

I'm hoping that the 'delayed restriction' so often reported here applies to me this time as well.

I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to be eating (volume wise), since I don't really have any restriction yet. I don't think I'm strectching or packing my pouch, though. Wouldn't you need restriction for either of those things to happen? Without restriction - food just passes right through - hence, no stretching. Pouch stretching, it seems to me, would only be possible if you actually have restriction, and then eat too much.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I knew that I would be one of those for whom this did not work right off the bat! Not much comes easy to me in the weight loss department! I'm not giving up .... yet.......

I knew that I would be one of those for whom this did not work right off the bat! Not much comes easy to me in the weight loss department! I'm not giving up .... yet.......

Don't feel alone, Kim. My body hangs on to every ounce for dear life! I felt so inadequate when I was telling people 3 months out I'd ONLY lost 15lbs. I felt stuck on 35lbs FOREVER, then one day I looked up and realized 55lbs was quite a ways from 35. The weight loss is so subtle that you sometimes don't even realize it's moving until large chunks come up missing.

I am a slow loser, probably as much by choice as anything. I've chosen to eat most anything I want and not go the deprivation route. Of course my volume is greatly reduced, but now that i'm 40-50lbs from goal, it's becoming even more apparent that I'm going to have to work for this. Either I have to step upt the exercise or take down the calories - that's the only choice I have.

I've been stalled now since Labor Day, this last stretch is NOT going to be easy.

Keep your chin up! It'll happen!

Leatha -

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I must admit that I'm feeling a bit like a failure since I've only lost 10 lbs inthe 2 months+ since surgery. So many other people on this board are doing much much better than I am.

You are truly an inspiration to us all. Thanks for all your time and your willingness to share your experiences.

I'll let you know as soon as any 'large chunks come up missing' :D

Leatha -

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I must admit that I'm feeling a bit like a failure since I've only lost 10 lbs inthe 2 months+ since surgery. So many other people on this board are doing much much better than I am.

:D

Yes, dear, but not all of them started where you did or have your unique body chemistry. 10 lbs in two months is right on track for 5lbs per month. At that rate, you will have lost 60lbs by your one year date! Now, if you get a fill that kicks in and you find an exercise that helps you to burn more calories, then who knows where you might go??!!I lost the largest part of what I have lost in my second 6 months with the band. The first 6 months is generally trying to find your nitch or that 'sweet spot' and getting used to the changes in your eating habits. You're absolutely doing FINE!

Thanks again for the encouragement. Like most people, I lost that 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks and haven't lost anything since.

Exercise is the one part of my life I have kind of under control. I have been a regular gym goer / exerciser for 4 years now.

I usually do 45 minutes of some cardio activity - my current favorite is the elliptical trainer. Then I do 45 minutes of weight/strength training. I do this 4 days a week (I try for 5 days a week, but honestly average only 4).

It's good to know that there really isn't a set 'window of opportunity' with the band like there is with the bypass surgery.

I'll keep my head in the game - and watch green with envy as Betty and every other recently banded person passes me by in the weight loss department.

(GO Betty, GO!!)

Kim, how tall are you? Do you know what your beginning BMI was? If you are a regular exerciser, it's possible that you just don't have a lot of fat to let loose of. Also, try charting your foods and exercise on http://fitday.com for a few days. Visually seeing those break-down grafts can help pinpoint your daily habits. Hang in there, girl! You have your band and it is working. How much weight do you think you would have gained by now, without it?

Thanks Kim for the encouragement. I had more weight to lose than you did, so that is probably why I am losing more to start with. Please don't be discouraged by that, you will catch up I'm sure. I didn't lose anything last week, and I must say I am getting hungry too. Hang in there, that weight will be flying off soon. I bet even though the scale doesn't move much that you are losing some inches, and in my book the inches are the best! :D

Great news Kim,

I was banded by Johnell and didn't think he did fills for other surgeon's patients. Glad to find out that he does. I'm due for my first one Dec. 10 and I feel just like you. I'll be the only one who's slow to feel restriction and slow to lose. Right now (4 weeks from surgery) I don't feel much restriction at all and have to remind myself to watch how much I eat.

Don't feel bad, I had my first fill and the Dr. said he put in 4cc. I haven't really felt much restriction. I have been eating everything. I had surgery Oct. 6, 2004 and have only lost 12lbs. I am going to get another fill next month and step up my exercise and lower my calories. I just know that it will take time to find that sweet spot. I don't lose weight fast unless I work out hard and eat strict. My metabolism is very slow. Hang in there! This too shall pass. We will get over the hump. I have also started to set short term goals. May 2005 I am going to be down 62lbs. 50 more to go!!! Then by September 2005 40-50 more. Just gradually make mini goals and work on it.

Selecia

Dr. Arturo Rodriguez

10-6-04

290/278/140

-12lbs