Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get sleeved in May?

Its been along time coming for me, wait times in Canada are horrible so I saved and I am pay on my own. I was too scared to wait 5-10yrs for covered surgery. Maybe its because I finally have a date and the countdown is on :D :D :D :D :D

Because healthcare is free in Canada and it's an elective procedure so it's a long wait.

It's free but at what cost? 5-10yrs, I would be probably have gained an extra 100lbs and maybe diabetic, or God knows what LOL. I am thankful be able to do this myself. I even if I decided to pay out of pocket in would have been no less than 19000 even with insurance. So mexico here I come thanks to bariatric pal B)

It's free but at what cost? 5-10yrs, I would be probably have gained an extra 100lbs and maybe diabetic, or God knows what LOL. I am thankful be able to do this myself. I even if I decided to pay out of pocket in would have been no less than 19000 even with insurance. So Mexico here I come thanks to bariatric pal B)

Omg same here, i was trying to go the insurance route, i was even half way through the supervised diet when i found out that i was going to have to pay 5000 deductible on top of 40% of the surgery cost plus labs. It would have cost me 12000 minimum with insurance. Now im only paying 6500 total for everything doing it in mexico!

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

@@Hannahb3997 - Similar enough pre-op and post-op that we will all be able to commiserate and Celebrate with one another. I am getting even more excited now that I have found people counting down until the surgery like I am! Where in NY are you. I live in Manhattan.

Buffalo!!

Heading to the grocery store to stock up on my pre-op diet food, I start tomorrow. Im feeling really excited and a little nervous all at the same time.

yeah I didn't ask for approval.....mine was more....."so I've been researching and I feel this is the right thing for me and I'm going to start moving through the process...blahblahblah"......Only you know how to deal with your hubby.....but if it were me, rather than waiting for him to make up his mind, I'd tell him that I've done lots of research and this is what I want to do and want his support.....if he has questions let him attend appointments with you so he can ask away..............But again, big disclaimer here, only you know what will work with your hubby. :-)

As far as not feeling like cooking foods I can't eat...........I'm the luckiest woman in the world there! My hubby does most of the cooking anyway! It's just the two of us so I won't have any issues there.......

I totally agree with your thoughts around being overweight out weighing the risk for the surgery.......

Hubby started out with the gym comments then I said " look this is what I'm doing, you and I have been trying to lose this weight the four years we have been together and when we were hitting the gym daily and eating 1500 calories i lost four pounds and you lost 10.... Do you want me to book yours too" After about a week of me telling him about my research he decided to do it with me

That's great!!! That would be awesome! Good luck to both of you.

yeah I didn't ask for approval.....mine was more....."so I've been researching and I feel this is the right thing for me and I'm going to start moving through the process...blahblahblah"......Only you know how to deal with your hubby.....but if it were me, rather than waiting for him to make up his mind, I'd tell him that I've done lots of research and this is what I want to do and want his support.....if he has questions let him attend appointments with you so he can ask away..............But again, big disclaimer here, only you know what will work with your hubby. :-)

As far as not feeling like cooking foods I can't eat...........I'm the luckiest woman in the world there! My hubby does most of the cooking anyway! It's just the two of us so I won't have any issues there.......

I totally agree with your thoughts around being overweight out weighing the risk for the surgery.......

Hubby started out with the gym comments then I said " look this is what I'm doing, you and I have been trying to lose this weight the four years we have been together and when we were hitting the gym daily and eating 1500 calories i lost four pounds and you lost 10.... Do you want me to book yours too" After about a week of me telling him about my research he decided to do it with me

I need a surgery date!! This "up in the air" stuff if driving me nuts.....I've watched so many surgery videos I will be able to assist the surgeon by the time mine happens! I have my psych eval, NUT and surgery coordinator visit on Wednesday..... Maybe I'll know something more then.

The waiting is do hard.....

@@kmorri - I am in the exact same position as you. Live on this message board and YouTube. I have a stiff neck from sitting at this computer so long!

I have met all requirements except final appointments with surgeon and nutritionist. Mine are also on Wednesday :-) Wednesday should be an interesting day for the both of us! Good luck!

Yes I meet all the requirements too.......after Wednesday all I have left is a 2 hour class I have to take on 4/25. So I may still not get a date on Wednesday, but one can still hope! They are still saying it will be in May, so we shall see.

@@kmorri - I noticed our BMIs are pretty close. I have read on numerous websites that often with no co-morbidities, these BMIs often get rejected first time around from the insurance companies. Not sure if I am prepared to deal with that emotionally as I feel like I really put in the time with this process. I have already called up one of the more well known surgical coordinators in Mexico as a back-up plan. My deductible is fairly high and I have done the math. It will cost about the same if I self-pay in Mexico or if insurance covers in the States. This is happening whether my insurance company wants it or not. So afraid if I don't strike while the Iron is hot, that I will chicken out!

@@leahhindi Based on what I've researched I should be approved without issue......still yet to be seen, but.... we shall see soon. I retired from BCBS of Florida and feel pretty confident. My surgery coordinator is also very positive and doesn't foresee any issues in being approved. The policy I have is a very low deductible and fairly low out of pocket maximum....so all my eggs are in this basket. I don't think I could convince my husband that going to Mexico would be a good option....although in everything I've seen it certainly is, but my husband would probably freak. hahaha

Do you know when your insurance authorization request will be submitted? I think mine will be submitted after I take a bariatric educational class on 4/25....which is the last thing I have scheduled. I didn't have to do a supervised diet so although this feels like it's taking forever, it's moving pretty fast....my informational seminar I attended was 3/8/16.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Thanks,

Kathy