Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get sleeved in May?

My surgery is May 10th and I would really like to keep in touch with other people getting sleeved in may and be able to share our journeys.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I'm supposed to be in May but I don't have a date yet. I have an appointment for chest x-ray and swallow test this Friday....then psychiatric eval and NUT visit next Wed.....and then lastly a 2 hour class I have to take on 4/25....After the class they submit to my insurance and then finally give me an actual date......but they are telling me it will be in May. I would love to stay in touch! I'm in Florida. Where are you located @@skinnyme13 ?

Hi there...I am likely going to be given a May date. I have done everything for the process for my insurance except my final drs appt and nutritionist appt which are both early next week. Then they submit to my insurance and hopefully, fingers crossed, approval and then scheduling. I am in NYC and would love to have a great support system in place throughout this process. I am just doing a calorie restricted diet right now because my insurance prohibits me from gaining even an ounce during a 3 month pre-surgery period and this has even been hard for me bc I need to retrain my brain (ex. stop using food to both reward myself, punish myself, as distraction, when bored, etc). We have quite a journey ahead of us. Great success and good health to all of us.

@@leahhindi Nice to meet you! My name is Kathy. Not being able to gain any weight prior to surgery is crazy. I'm glad mine doesn't have that requirement! Why do they think we're having this surgery? I only have to make sure my BMI doesn't drop below 40. My BMI is the only thing I have that qualifies me for surgery as I don't have any other health conditions.......I am so ready to get this show on the road! I've never been the type that can wait.....so this is killing me! haha Once I make my mind up to do something I'm ready to get it done! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can stay in touch......Once I get an actual date I'll be screaming it from the roof tops...hahaha

@@kmorri -- I will add you as a friend. The only person who will be screaming louder than you when a date has been set is me. So very impatient...and this process has definitely been a difficult one! I, too, make up my mind and then dive right in, however, I do take a VERY long time to make up my mind. I am fickle and I know it! I am looking forward to having pals on this journey bc I don't plan on telling people about the surgery except my husband who is not being particularly supportive. He thinks I should "just go to the gym"....gotta love these guys (or gals) who say stuff like this. They really believe that we can JUST do this with such ease--that it is nothing!

@@leahhindi I'm lucky that my hubby is supportive.....well as much as he can be...haha... He doesn't talk much and if I started telling him I was nervous about getting the surgery done he would probably respond with " so don't do it then"....so I enjoy coming here and chatting with folks going through the same thing I am. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope we'll both get a date quickly!!!

The thing that is so funny and unlike me is that I went him seeking his approval vs just telling him I am having this done. I think I handled it this way because I feel this decision affects the whole family. Additionally, I am not sure how much I am going to want to cook foods I cannot eat the first few months after surgery so he would have added responsibilities. His response was that he needs to conduct his own research and get back to me… But he is leaning towards no and then the gym comment. I don't know how to break it to him that I am proceeding with or without his consent so hoping he gives my plan his deal of approval ;-) I understand his concern and I know he is coming from a good place – he just thinks elective surgeries are extremely dangerous. I think being 110 pounds overweight is much moreso.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

yeah I didn't ask for approval.....mine was more....."so I've been researching and I feel this is the right thing for me and I'm going to start moving through the process...blahblahblah"......Only you know how to deal with your hubby.....but if it were me, rather than waiting for him to make up his mind, I'd tell him that I've done lots of research and this is what I want to do and want his support.....if he has questions let him attend appointments with you so he can ask away..............But again, big disclaimer here, only you know what will work with your hubby. :-)

As far as not feeling like cooking foods I can't eat...........I'm the luckiest woman in the world there! My hubby does most of the cooking anyway! It's just the two of us so I won't have any issues there.......

I totally agree with your thoughts around being overweight out weighing the risk for the surgery.......

I'm not getting sleeved, but I am having a bypass in May!

@@Hannahb3997 congrats to you! I think pre-op as well as post op is basically the same for both procedures so welcome to the May team!!! :)

I'm supposed to be in May but I don't have a date yet. I have an appointment for chest x-ray and swallow test this Friday....then psychiatric eval and NUT visit next Wed.....and then lastly a 2 hour class I have to take on 4/25....After the class they submit to my insurance and then finally give me an actual date......but they are telling me it will be in May. I would love to stay in touch! I'm in Florida. Where are you located @@skinnyme13 ?

Im in laughlin, NV, where are you at? Im having my surgery done with dr. Ariel Ortiz in Mexico. Good luck with all your stuff!

Hi there...I am likely going to be given a May date. I have done everything for the process for my insurance except my final drs appt and nutritionist appt which are both early next week. Then they submit to my insurance and hopefully, fingers crossed, approval and then scheduling. I am in NYC and would love to have a great support system in place throughout this process. I am just doing a calorie restricted diet right now because my insurance prohibits me from gaining even an ounce during a 3 month pre-surgery period and this has even been hard for me bc I need to retrain my brain (ex. stop using food to both reward myself, punish myself, as distraction, when bored, etc). We have quite a journey ahead of us. Great success and good health to all of us.

I to am a emotional eater, i think retraining my brain after surgery is going to be the hardest part. I work nights and one of the worst things I do is when im having a rough day, I think what treat can I get after work. So not only am I using food to make me feel better but im doing it late at night, double wammy lol

@@Hannahb3997 - Similar enough pre-op and post-op that we will all be able to commiserate and Celebrate with one another. I am getting even more excited now that I have found people counting down until the surgery like I am! Where in NY are you. I live in Manhattan.

@@kmorri - Yes, husbands are tricky business. There is no secret formula unfortunately that works across the board with them! I am just going to use the best approach I know, the "I know you think its dangerous and you love me the way I am, but being overweight is more dangerous and I DON"T LOVE ME THE WAY I AM..."

FYI, I forgot to mention this previously, but I had a lapband done approximately 10 years ago was sick ALL THE TIME and ultimately just had it undone. I feel like the sleeve is a last resort and I cannot allow myself to fail again.

Until a man joins our group, I will start off with HEY LADIES... :D

I have started re-training my brain already. I am eating 2 Protein bars a day, having clear broth and drinking a lot of beverages -- not Water exclusively, but for me, this is quite an accomplishment. I am starting now because if I cannot make these changes now, what success can I look forward to in the future when I am starving, in pain, recovering from surgery, exhausted, etc. I am nowhere near half way there but anything is better than nothing. After all, I failed with the lap-band 10 years ago partially because I did not adhere to the rules (though I hate to admit that--it is true). I guess I just wasn't ready for the changes then. 10 years later and things have unfortunately become more dire. I have no co-morbidities but that doesn't mean that I won't down the road and everything hurts. I even wake up tired. And I have young children and it isn't fair to them. This time around I have to get this right.