Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens if i didn't follow the diet like I was supposed to the first month? Can I start from the beginning or just keep going? Help!

I didn't exactly follow my diet after my first week going into full liquids, just got tired of broth, Jello, liquids and all the Protein Shakes, started early on creamed Soups but also pureed Beans and that was my main food. I've lost 26 lbs but I'm wondering if that hindered my weight loss. I'm stalling now and just dropped 1 lb. after 5 days stalled. What can I do to restart my rapid weight loss? Should I start over from week 1?? Will that help? Has anyone else gone through this?

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

A stall after the initial weight loss is normal. I was allowed creamed Soups during my 2 weeks of liquid phase. I did start my purée stage a day early but I continued to lose. I am in a stall right now, 1 lb after about 2 weeks but then again is that really a stall? lol. I'm 8 weeks out

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by cindyw41

A stall after the initial weight loss is normal. I was allowed creamed Soups during my 2 weeks of liquid phase. I did start my purée stage a day early but I continued to lose. I am in a stall right now, 1 lb after about 2 weeks but then again is that really a stall? lol. I'm 8 weeks out

I've just not eaten what they recommended I eat, could take egg, tuna or chicken salad. I've made butternut squash Soup with unflavored Protein added, ham slices, soft laughing cow cheese, baby bell cheese, small pieces of chicken/meat during my 3rd week. Do you think that's bad?

I don't think what your eating has anything to do with your stall.. It's way better than what you were eating before ( that how we all got to where we were needed this surgeryto begin with ,right?)

I am only on day10 and can't wait to eat but after researching about this for a while it's best not to hurry to leave the full liquid stage for your stomach staples haven't completely healed yet and pieces of food could get stuck and cause you issues/infections!

Today is exactly a month since my surgery. Wish my NUT would have given better guidance. They had a great one who actually went through the surgery herself and had a basket full of things you could eat so you could see choices, however, 2 weeks before my surgery she decided to leave because of family issues. The girl who took her place seems a little lost and not very knowledgeable, she's nice, but doesn't know her stuff like the previous one.

In my 3rd week I was on full purée. As long as you're chewing your food bits down to mush you should be ok.

I was told not to eat any solids or soft solids until the recommended dates due to the healing process. Your weight loss will pick up again but it's best you stick with the plan that was given. This happened to me to I just went back to what I was told to do, and I was fine. How's your Water intake? And exercise routine? I didn't begin adding my own person touch too the diet until month four. I'm seven months out and I'm at goal. Well below goal. Goodluck. You can do it. Follow the docs orders I know you get tired but it is for your protection for now.

Edited by lachellove

I was told not to eat any solids or soft solids until the recommended dates due to the healing process. Your weight loss will pick up again but it's best you stick with the plan that was given. This happened to me to I just went back to what I was told to do, and I was fine. How's your Water intake? And exercise routine? I didn't begin adding my own person touch too the diet until month four. I'm seven months out and I'm at goal. Well below goal. Goodluck. You can do it. Follow the docs orders I know you get tired but it is for your protection for now.

Should I start from week 1 again or just stay at week 4 which is where I'm at now, still soft foods?

Should I start from week 1 again or just stay at week 4 which is where I'm at now, still soft foods?

I would just stick to the stage you are on now.. Soft foods should be fine .. That's and the 64 ounces of Water and exercise for a hour a day or more depending on you.

This is your second post worrying about the fact that your weight loss has slowed down/stalled and you sound like you're panicking about things. If your doc told you to eat a certain way for X amount of time, and you bumped it up a few days and didn't hurt yourself or make yourself sick, you're fine as long as you're hitting the protein/water goals.

Later down the road, you should focus on eating Protein first, then healthy veggies, and complex carbs in moderation (always making sure you drink your water/liquids). Once you're cleared for "all food" the only things to add to that first part is to make sure you watch your calories and keep the carbs moderate. It really is pretty simple.

Did you read the "embrace the stall" post by Inner Surfer Girl?

Stalls are normal and rapid weight loss is not going to happen all the time (and might not ever for some), and the entire process of losing weight will not be a fast or steady ride. You will stall frequently, sometimes it might be a week or 2 or 3 weeks before you see the scale move again.

This is NORMAL. Your body will do what it needs to do as long as you are eat enough Protein, watch your carbs, drink your Water and getting a decent amount (not too little, not too much) of calories each day.

Stalls are healthy and vital. You would not be able to go without sleep for a month right? Think of a stall like your body taking a rest break and getting a good nap in. It needs to pause to rest, and then once it's ready, you'll start losing weight again. You can't force it to do things on a set schedule just because you're upset about the pause. Give your body (and yourself) a break and focus on eating healthy foods, getting your protein and Water and exercising.

And if you're not doing this already, take measurements of things like arms, chest, waist and hips. Sometimes the stalls are actually when your body is exchanging fat for muscle. A pound of fat is much bulkier than a pound of muscle, and you won't see the change on the scale, but your clothes will start to feel loser and the tape measure will show the progress - and this is just as important as seeing numbers dropping on the scale! I actually think it's even more important because building muscle and losing fat is a GREAT thing!

But really, calm down, give yourself permission to stop focusing on the weight loss and just work on eating healthy and drinking and getting more active. The rest will take care of itself.

This is your second post worrying about the fact that your weight loss has slowed down/stalled and you sound like you're panicking about things. If your doc told you to eat a certain way for X amount of time, and you bumped it up a few days and didn't hurt yourself or make yourself sick, you're fine as long as you're hitting the protein/water goals.

Later down the road, you should focus on eating Protein first, then healthy veggies, and complex carbs in moderation (always making sure you drink your water/liquids). Once you're cleared for "all food" the only things to add to that first part is to make sure you watch your calories and keep the carbs moderate. It really is pretty simple.

Did you read the "embrace the stall" post by Inner Surfer Girl?

Stalls are normal and rapid weight loss is not going to happen all the time (and might not ever for some), and the entire process of losing weight will not be a fast or steady ride. You will stall frequently, sometimes it might be a week or 2 or 3 weeks before you see the scale move again.

This is NORMAL. Your body will do what it needs to do as long as you are eat enough Protein, watch your carbs, drink your Water and getting a decent amount (not too little, not too much) of calories each day.

Stalls are healthy and vital. You would not be able to go without sleep for a month right? Think of a stall like your body taking a rest break and getting a good nap in. It needs to pause to rest, and then once it's ready, you'll start losing weight again. You can't force it to do things on a set schedule just because you're upset about the pause. Give your body (and yourself) a break and focus on eating healthy foods, getting your protein and Water and exercising.

And if you're not doing this already, take measurements of things like arms, chest, waist and hips. Sometimes the stalls are actually when your body is exchanging fat for muscle. A pound of fat is much bulkier than a pound of muscle, and you won't see the change on the scale, but your clothes will start to feel loser and the tape measure will show the progress - and this is just as important as seeing numbers dropping on the scale! I actually think it's even more important because building muscle and losing fat is a GREAT thing!

But really, calm down, give yourself permission to stop focusing on the weight loss and just work on eating healthy and drinking and getting more active. The rest will take care of itself.

Thanks! You're right, can I ask what you were told your calories and carbs should be? Like I said, the NUT that was there and went through the surgery left and I'm not sure the new girl is 100% knowledgeable about all this.

Thanks! You're right, can I ask what you were told your calories and carbs should be? Like I said, the NUT that was there and went through the surgery left and I'm not sure the new girl is 100% knowledgeable about all this.

Here's the thing: my NUT didn't tell me to hit a certain number for my carbs. I had to figure out how my body reacted to them on my own. Some folks do great on super low carb and have no problems. Me, I like food, and I figured out how to read labels and also the difference between good carbs and bad carbs and started testing how much I could eat of (healthy) carbs and still lose weight and feel good (both eating things I liked and overall feelings). I know now that my "sweet spot" is around 50-75 carbs daily. So that is what I use as my guide. If I notice I've stalled out for a few weeks or am feeling bloated, I know it's because I let my carbs creep up and rein them back in. You will have to figure out how your body works with carbs and fat and such once you're cleared to eat all food - but in general, most people do better when they keep their carbs below 100 grams, so definitely start working on things from there and see how you do.

I remember at about 3 months out, I was lucky to be hitting 700 calories a day and getting around 60-70 grams of Protein and no more than 50 carbs a day. I had no energy for the first 3-6 months and worried about ever getting real exercise in, but as I got the hang of eating healthy stuff, I also started feeling like moving more. And I have a neighborhood pool, so I started going to swim several times a week and by the end of summer, I was riding my bike round trip there and back (~1 mile) in addition to swimming for a few hours. So that kickstarted me getting active, and I slowly started upping my calories to support the increase in activity.

Now at a year and almost 3 months, I'm hitting 80+ grams of Protein and 1400-1600 calories a day. I try to keep my carbs around 50-75 grams daily (net carbs, which is the total carb number minus the amount of fiber) but I have had it pop up a few times to 100 grams like when I make a pot of Beans (complex carbs, but they'll still run that number up). Low carb is usually considered under 100 grams a day average, and I definitely try to make that my absolute cutoff. I make sure that the carbs are high Fiber (complex) so at least I know they're the good carbs.

But I am also doing yoga twice a week, bodyweight routine twice a week (pushups/squats/dumbells) and ~5 miles walk/jog 5X a week in addition to regular activities like grocery shopping or yard work (and swimming/biking a whole bunch as soon as the pool opens!). I was told at my year appointment back in December that I was eating too few calories and needed to up it due to my activity level.

I eat a whole lot of chicken salad since it is easy to make a big batch and eat on it for a few days (I put red grapes, green onions and curry spice in mine and it's fab). I use red pepper strips instead of bread or crackers - tastes super with the chicken salad and give me a nice crunch too. I also make lots of baked fish and chicken with aromatic spices and cook with real butter - I make a side of broccoli/cauliflower or sesame green Beans to go with and it's a very nice meal. For Snacks, lots of yogurt (I like Kroger's Carbmaster line as they are only 60 calories and have 4 grams of carbs and lots of flavors), or cheese sticks or hummus and red peppers/carrots. When I do eat a sandwich (a few times a month), I use the Aldi Fit & Active whole wheat bread - 45 calories for two slices with 16 carbs, but with the 5 grams of Fiber, that's only 11 net carbs for the two slices and it tastes just like soft wheat bread. :)

I'm still losing weight and gaining muscle so I am definitely not done at this point, but even if I don't lose another pound, I'm thrilled with where I am now and anything more is just awesome. :)

Wow, that's amazing!! Thanks for the info and the foods you eat, I'm definitely going to try that chicken salad with the pepper strips and your sides. I'm so happy to be getting these great tips and advice! So glad to be on this app. Thank you!!

I would go back to two Protein Shakes for am and lunch for a week to see if it changes. dinner lean Protein and veggies. Might just kick start you again