Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New! And I have questions!

Hello!

I'm 25 years old, from Rhode Island and am getting sleeved on 3/28! I start my preop diet tomorrow.

I'm a full time student and I have already missed a decent amount of school this semester cause I was in a car accident, how much school did you miss? How long before you were able to drive again?

I'm pretty horrible about liking the taste of Protein Shakes, do you have any tips to either make them taste better or a specific brand that tastes better?

What's the best way to get yourself in an exercise routine? I'm really busy and I'm afraid I won't be able to find the time.

I'm sure I have a million others but that's the only ones I can think of.

Thanks,

Brittany

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Brittany! I'm scheduled for the sleeve on the 1st of April. I was told I can drive as long as I'm not on pain meds besides Tylenol. I like the premier Protein drinks but I also purchased unflavored Protein power to add to Powerade zero. I am also allowed Greek yogurt, applesauce and cream of wheat on the liquid diet. I start on Friday.. Best of luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the BariatricPal App

I am also having the sleeve surgery on the 28th!! My doctor told me I could drive as long as it had been 8 hours since my last pain med. I will be out of work 2 weeks (He said I could probably go back after a week if I chose to). In the plan my doctor has me on, he said after the first week, to start trying to walking 20 mins a day. I am hoping I can return to my group fitness class after a month or so.. fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

Congrats first of all!

As for how long it will be before you can go back to school/work/driving ... it really depends on your doc. Mine said 2 weeks for driving, and work. A month for being able to lift over 15 lbs.

On the shakes, I haven't found one that I'm nuts about . But the premier chocolate is tolerable to me. There are lots of sources for Protein out there that aren't just shakes. I found powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored + sugar free butterscotch pudding to taste great.

For exercise... start now. I don't mean go out and run a marathon every day. Go for a 5 minute stroll during lunch. If you're a busy person you probably have a lot of pre-defined schedules already. So schedule in exercise time. Then adjust it. You won't nail it the first time.

Take your time. You're making an epically large change.

I've found the unjury chocolate Splendor flavor to taste JUST like chocolate milk when mixed with milk, so if you like chocolate milk, it might be worth a try.

As for school, I'm getting sleeved over the summer because I'm going into nursing school - the clinicals involve a full day of standing/walking/lifting, so my surgeon and I agreed I'd need more than the proverbial two weeks off. So it depends on what your schooling is like. Plus, if you're used to carrying around a backpack full of heavy textbooks, that will have to wait. Carrying a light notebook or tablet is fine. So talk to your doctor about this.

Congrats on your surgery date! I was off of work for 2 weeks with my surgery. i was fine physically to go back, but was pretty exhausted still at that point. I don't think I had any restrictions on driving. Pretty much once I was off pain meds I was ok to drive. As far as exercising, I didn't start til probably 2 months or so post op. I started with running and from there have become an avid runner and love all kinds of work outs. My favorite is probably barre. Good luck to you on your journey!