Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"normal" food intake after a fill

I had my second fill today. The surgeon said he no longer advises patients to alter the way they eat right after a fill. He has attended several bariatric surgery conferences where he heard various surgeons present research concluding that the best thing for the patient is to return to solid foods right away.

He has seen no adverse reactions since he discontinued food limitations.

Of course everyone should follow the directives of his or her own surgeon, but isn't it nice to know that there is a trend toward making the band less complicated (best example: the "remote-control" band that is being tested!).

I have heard this too. I usually stay on liquids only as I am told unless I am absolutely starving then I will make some watery oatmeal or something like that.

The tighter I get the less I feel like eating right after a fill anyway.

I had my first fill yesterday and doc told me to eat as I have been. He only warned me about calling him if I had upset stomach, reflux, heartburn, or trouble swallowing. So far so good.

Carlotta

I have never been advised to go on liquids or mushies after a fill, just to go carefully. Which we would all do by instinct anyway, you dont ahve a fill and then rush out and eat a donut!

But yeah, I've always resumed solids immediately, often having lunch an hour or so later. Very carefully! I've never ever had a problem.

i am reading your messages on this board and you have done extremely well... lost the weight fast. maybe u can help me... i was banded on july 12th and lost 16 lbs in the first 2 weeks and then after going on regular food havent lost anymore. i am still having 2 slimfast drinks and then 4 oz dinner of mostly protein... i have even gained 3 lbs in last 3 days.. havent had a fill yet. will be 2oth before the fill..but i have gone thru a lot to get to the place i am now and am so disappointed that others are losing 40 lbs by now or at least 25 and me down to 13 in a month...i want so bad to be on track and am doing everything like the dr told me to only to not lose... i would appreciate any help i can get on these boards... thanks and congrats to you..you are a lovely person in your pics... Brenda

i i am still having 2 slimfast drinks and then 4 oz dinner of mostly Protein... i have even gained 3 lbs in last 3 days.

Brenda,

My doctor doesn't like us to use slimfast. He says there is alot of sugar in it and that it isn't good for you. Maybe you should try something else. I think they make a certian slimfast that is low sugar and low carb I am just not sure. You may want to try egg beaters for Breakfast instead. They are very low cal, high Protein and filling. I even sprinkle low fat cheese on them.

i had mine 7/24 i had my first visit lost 12lbs i have all liquids and 1 food a day (tuna etc) i barely have lost a lb or 2 since...now i am obsessed with the scale my next appt is not until the 24th i feel like the little amount of food is not making me loose... i also feel like no restriction when i do eat? does that mean time for a fill?????

i wouldn't do slim fast either i do choc medi fast taste great i have 3 a day plus 1 mushy food, i hate everything and for me to like it, it's gotta be good. Order there samples that way u can taste stuff before u order

Kat,

You are in the infamous "bandster hell". The focus is on healing, not weight loss. Normally you won't have your first fill for at least 4 weeks (my surgeon waits 6 weeks), and most people don't begin to feel restriction until the second fill.

Did you lose the 12 pounds on the pre-op diet, or since you had surgery? It is recommended that we not weigh ourselves every day, but I couldn't stop myself either--and it made me so frustrated because it seemed that the scale wouldn't budge even though I was only eating 600 cal/day.

I actually started to lose when I increased my food intake. I had more energy because more food bumped up my metabolism. Your weight loss will definitely come, but probably not for another 5-6 weeks. Good luck!!

no i am healing great! 12 lbs after i didnt do a pre op diet. it was needed since i was 200 lbs recommended by my nutritionist for heavy patients

Brenda I'm going through exactly the same thing you are. I had my second fill last Saturday and thought something was going to start.....I have 4 cc in my 10 cc band now and still no restriction. It sucks.

I just posted on another thread, then found this one. Here's what my other post said, "I was banded on July 19, lost 15 lbs from surgery to 2 1/2 week post op. I've gained back 5 lbs! I have my first fill on August 20. I'm feeling like a failure at having gained 5 lbs. Did anyone else experience this?

I eat, I don't feel full EVER...could I have already stretched my pouch? I'm just really scared and ashamed that maybe I've done something wrong."

After reading what y'all have posted here, I do feel a little bit better. I still am a bit concerned that I've stretched my pouch or something--or is that normal post-op paranoia? I have no restriction, have never had a PB, eat pretty much anything I want, and honestly haven't started my exercise yet. I do get all of my Water in and most of my 70 grams of Protein. I guess I just need to knuckle down and get serious. Maybe do my Protein drinks for a few days. I'm embarrassed to think I'll go in for my first fill showing a weight GAIN! Aargh!

Any ideas?