Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post OP, considering smoking Marijuana to ease pain and sleep.

I have read all the past posts and I am more than aware of "munchie" concerns and psychiatric concerns. I just cannot sleep and I would like to be able to relax more. I am done with all these prescribed medicines and want more of a holistic approach.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The risk of addiction or replacement behavior becoming addictive is very high after wls. Don't do it. See a Dr. For these issues they can help with natural remedies also - go ask at a health food store also. There are some good articles on food and natural products to help restore your sleep cycle and manage anxiety/stress

I've been smoking on and off since about a month post-op. My advice is:

You're choosing between taking medications which may have crappy or damaging side effects or using something that has no long-term effects on your body but is illegal and frowned upon socially by many people still. You're going to have to decide if it's worth it to worry about the possible legal or social consequences.

Personally, I welcome medicating with this rather than the anti-anxiety meds (that made me sluggish and irritable) or the sleep meds (that made me shaky and nauseous) that have been far less effective than smoking a bowl every day or two. I sleep like a baby, feel far less anxious, have fewer panic attacks, and the munchie effect, while it still exists, is at a perfect low level that makes it much easier to get in enough calories every day, which has been a struggle for me.

It seems to me that if something helps so much and hurts no one, and the only reason people are afraid to do it is because of questionable/outdated legal reasons, then I should do what works best for me and which best facilitates my healing and well-being.

So I do just that. :) Whatever you do, keep yourself accountable and take care of yourself.

If you are looking for a more natural, holistic way to be calm and sleep, try using GABA. GABA is a natural thing that is made by the brain. It is part of the whole "feel good" hormones that our body produces. I use 1 750 mg GABA capsule right before bed and it definitely helps me quiet my mind, feel calm and sleep very well. Start with 750 mg and then if you need more, bump up to 1500. You can find GABA in any healthfood store, GNC, or any place with Vitamins.

Realistically, if smoking a bowl here and there calms you and helps you sleep, I see no harm. In this day and age, marijuana is really pretty benign.

The risk of addiction or replacement behavior becoming addictive is very high after wls. Don't do it. See a Dr. For these issues they can help with natural remedies also - go ask at a health food store also. There are some good articles on food and natural products to help restore your sleep cycle and manage anxiety/stress

Well considering marijuana is not addictive, and pain medications are, if you're comfortable with it and don't fear the 'munchie' stage *grin*, then I think it might be a good natural alternative.

I hadn't thought much about that, but it's probably not a good consideration for me since I have teenagers and it's still illegal here in OK :( This whole being 'good' because of the kids leaves me with a guilty conscience when I go astray ;)

If you do try it out, let us know how it helps!

Marijuana is addictive...having lived with an addict it does effect you in many ways. It makes you dependent on it to fall asleep (at least it did for my ex)It effects your memory big time. Yes it has many good properties but thinking there are no negative side effects is wrong. I also wonder if it increases ulcers like cigerettes do? No idea.

I'm sorry about your ex, Dibaby44. But I have to reiterate that marijuana is not physically addictive. He may have used it like he was an addict, and perhaps been mentally addicted. But it is not physically addictive like cigarettes, alcohol, or illegal drugs like meth, cocaine, or the such. There has also never been a reported incident of an overdose related death from marijuana use.

It may affect someone's life in a negative way, and it does affect short term memory while you are smoking, however, those are supposedly reversible affects from the studies I've read. Anything used in excess can be harmful to ones life and their loved ones... and that part stinks for everyone involved.

I'm not trying to be a huge proponent of smoking marijuana, but I've done a lot of research on marijuana use, and I know a lot of facts about it. I hate that people believe it's some kind of dangerous horrible drug. Personally, I believe the use of marijuana is much better an alcohol or cigarettes... and nowadays, particularly for medicinal use, there are far better ways to get the benefits rather than smoking it too. Autistic children are reaping benefits from the marijuana oils ingested in cookies/breads/etc.

Now should a bariatric patient smoke after surgery? I have no idea. I do know my doctor is very adamant that smoking cigarettes can affect your stomach after surgery, so perhaps using the oils would be a better choice?

And for the record, I don't partake in marijuana use. Why? Because it's illegal in the state I live in.

I dont agree that physical addiction and mental addiction are all that different. If you cannot stop smoking there is a problem. Financially your also drained for life. I have seen my bfs roommate not sleep for days without it. He even admits it's cause of the weed. Do i think it's an awful drug? No I just hate when people act like it has no bad side effects. It does. I've seen people lose their job, house and family over that addiction. If i was sick and i needed an option i would definitely look into it. But only if i was sick.

Smoking Marijuana , I find has helped me be able to keep nacho cheese doritos down, where I couldn't before. I'm going to try cheese burger sliders next with the help of Marijuana, I hope to be able to.

Smoking Marijuana , I find has helped me be able to keep nacho cheese doritos down, where I couldn't before. I'm going to try cheese burger sliders next with the help of Marijuana, I hope to be able to.

Idiot ^^^ get off my post

Edited by fattytohottie2016

He must still be on pain killers....

He must still be on pain killers....

Or he's already high! Lol

Of all the options available, it is well proven by research that marijuana is a highly effective for many ailments, from treating cancers, to alleviating pain, anxiety, and insomnia. After surgery many people have a difficult time eating, and the so-called munchy effect for weight-loss surgery patients can actually be very helpful. Painkillers, sleep aids, and other pharmaceuticals have been shown to cause many unforeseen issues and problems, not only while they are being taken, but in the long term. The political climate around marijuana in this country has changed dramatically. Personally, at least nine times out of 10 I always choose the natural alternative. I think your instincts to smoke a dried plant instead of take the dangerous pharmaceutical is a very good one.