Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to eat different foods

It was an example.. My NUT approved them and so I have them as a snack. I don't like the other bars.. Everyone is different

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 7 weeks postop and have only been eating Protein and a tiny bit of veggies. I want to start expanding the foods I can eat, but I'm scared. I don't want to eat carbs like bread, rice, or Pasta, but I'm thinking of stuff like nuts, plain Greek yogurt, berries, things like that.

What bothers me is, will my weight loss slow down because I'm introducing some carbs and sugar? Should I just stick to Protein only with a little veggies?

I would really appreciate some suggestions of what to eat that's still good for me

Are you exercising? What are you doing?

I must have a super strict surgeon. I will be sleeved on April 4 and he sat me down to tell me that I will have to live an Atkins lifestyle from here on out (although prefers I not eat too much fat).

He said I needed to come to terms with the fact that I won't be eating fruit for the first year, or any real carbs. He said three meals a day and absolutely no snacking because almost 100% of snack foods are bad. He said nuts are a slippery slope because they contain carbs so if you eat them, only have a few. He recommends not eating them at all.

So to answer your question, I do believe introducing carbs will hinder some weight loss. Mainly because carbs beget carbs - just creates that cycle of wanting more. He did say that once you have met your weight loss goal you can work in some fruit and things but can't ever eat them alone, they have to be with a meal.

Breezy25, I completely agree with you. Although I am allowed to have carbs, I am choosing not to.

Eating carbs are what got me to this point in the first place.

So, I am choosing to stick with what I've been doing, it's been working pretty good so far

Yes. I haven't had surgery yet so I am not "judging" anyone but I do think it will help to completely abstain until you feel like mentally you have the strength to overcome it. I'm sure it will happen in good time!

it depends on the source of the carbs. Look I did not get fat eating carrots or lima Beans. or even bananas. so as my NUT recommends I have added them in, keeping in mind my daily carb allowance. even oatmeal. this is not the same as having candy, or chips, or cake. You will loose weight if you are eating balanced, healthy FOODs and not food products.

Edited by Christinamo7

Some people have more issues with carbs than others. I think it's very important to stick to your surgeon and nutritionist's guidelines I the early months as you are healing. But ultimately you need to figure out what is going to work for YOU long term. Only you have to live the rest of your life.

7 weeks out just stick to Protein and veggies for a while. There's no rush to add in the carbs unless you find you need them. I actually needed to add in oatmeal to keep me regular. If you don't have enough energy then you might need to add in the complex carbs. Even at 17 months post op I don't eat bread, Pasta or rice. But on the weekends I do splurge with some pancakes or something sweet as that is my vice. I've been at goal over a year and found what works for me. And I still have shakes and Protein Bars but only the one's I truly like and for convenience. I have a weight range to stay in and if I push the top of it I cut out the carbs for a few days. Protein always comes first.

Good luck-

LA

@@rydersmama

I understand where you are coming from. You should fill in your surgery information so people can easily see where you are at.

At 7 weeks, I wouldn't add stuff if you don't have to. I stuck with Protein and veggies until about 3 months, I suggest waiting that long, just because at 3 months you are more healed and when you add new things you might tolerate them better.

There is no reason to snack on snack things. My afternoon "snack" is a turkey burger. I have 4 meals a day, all planned, all 20-30 Protein to meet my protein goals. Just because you have a snack it doesn't have to be snacky. A Protein shake will do, or a Protein Bar, grilled chicken cut into strips etc. That early out I wouldn't have a Protein Bar though.

If you decide to add some look for this brand http://www.amazon.com/ISS-One-Lemon-Cake-12/dp/B00Y7YO59W/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1457569618&sr=8-5&keywords=ohyeah+one+protein+bars these are the best Protein Bars I have ever had in my life. They don't even taste like protein bars.

I skipped yogurt too. I didn't like it that much before surgery and after surgery I absolutely hate it. It is nasty and the nutrition on most of it just isn't worth it. I keep nuts in my purse as an emergency but I have yet to have any nuts since surgery.

Later on though, you might need more variety. I have added a lot more variety to my diet because I find it is the best combat for head hunger. I find lots of substitutions for my favorites also.

This is a lifestyle, not a diet, you have to work it in a way you can live with it long term.

At 7 weeks you are still healing and probably still swollen, as you heal and things loosen up and you are more comfortable with food, your attitude might change. If you don't want to add things, don't, add them when ready.

My RD gave me some very sound advice: "treat your new tummy like a baby's. You know, try one food at a time, a little bit, and see how it goes".

Be aware that there is a VERY big difference between "weight" and "fat". If you do increase cabs to the point that you actually replace the stored glycogen in yoru body, you will increase the Water your body stores as well, at a ratio of 4:1. Water is not fat! The scale can't tell us the whole story if all it measures is pounds and ounces.

I'm 4 weeks out and understand the fear of new things as well as wanting something different. I'm looking forward to my next stage and being able to eat meats. A meatball or tuna salad sounds great.

it depends on the source of the carbs. Look I did not get fat eating carrots or lima Beans. or even bananas. so as my NUT recommends I have added them in, keeping in mind my daily carb allowance. even oatmeal. this is not the same as having candy, or chips, or cake. You will loose weight if you are eating balanced, healthy FOODs and not food products.

Its so hard to not have carbs when they are in everything I eat. Even oatmeal so I don't worry so much about them. I just try and make sure that they are as low as possible . My nut told me no fruit because there is too much sugar but I have a Halo or Cutie or 2 almost every day. I don't actually eat them just suck the juice out. Sounds weird but it satisfys me. Everyone is different,

Edited by lisalisa1212

Its so hard to not have carbs when they are in everything I eat. Even oatmeal so I don't worry so much about them. I just try and make sure that they are as low as possible . My nut told me no fruit because there is too much sugar but I have a Halo or Cutie or 2 almost every day. I don't actually eat them just suck the juice out. Sounds weird but it satisfys me. Everyone is different,

In my opinion, you would be better off eating the halo or cutie rather than just sucking out the juice. The juice is where all the sugar is and the flesh and pulp is where you get the Fiber. You might as well just be eating straight sugar if you think just sucking out the juice is somehow a good alternative. SMH.

I agree with @@Inner Surfer Girl if you are going to get all the sugar from a cutie, you might as well eat the part that's actually GOOD for you too!

I agree with @@Inner Surfer Girl if you are going to get all the sugar from a cutie, you might as well eat the part that's actually GOOD for you too!

its fruit. the whole thing is good for you in moderation.