Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my first medically supervised weight loss visit

It was so much less intimidating than I thought it would be! My surgeon and insurance don't require a specific amount of weight to lose aside from the two-week 1000 cal max diet right before the operation. I was terrified I would have to strictly justify everything I ate to an obsessive degree.

Instead I was told to hit the 60-90g Protein target every day, sample different protein powders and shakes, to slow down eating so that a meal takes me 20-30 minutes to eat, to practice sipping Water slowly, and to start the protein first, veggies next, carbs only if you're still hungry pattern. And no meal skipping (I tend to skip breakfast). She said most people naturally start to lose weight even pre-surgery when they start these habits. I'll have a weigh-in next month but it doesn't sound like it'll be Draconian.

Welcome to the journey! Sounds like a very similar pre-op plan as mine - although my insurance requires 6 months of it. You will start to lose some weight and feel so much better even during this time. Yes, there are days where it is tough because my head tells me that I really want Pasta. But then I think about how much my knees and back hurt just a couple months ago and I remember I want my health way more than I want a bowl of pasta. Use this time to start establishing good habits. Several of the Protein Powder brands offer sample packs - try ordering some of those so you can figure out what you like (or more importantly what you don't like!) before ordering a big tub. I know Unjury offers a starter kit on their website and Syntrax Nectar brand offers bags of mixed samples.< /p>

@@katanne - don't buy massive amounts pre-op, just enough to get you through until you are able to get out and about. The sweetness, texture, smell, etc tends to shift post op so check out samples! Did you also get explained the not drinking after eating rule???Not every plan stresses that =o

Yes, I've been told to separate eating and drinking by at least 30 minutes. I will definitely look into the Unjury and nectar sample packs. I'm hoping I can find something without that heavy supplement aftertaste. The dietitican mentioned that a lot of her patients like Unjury and Premier (I think that was the name), so I'll be checking out Premier as well.

Celebrate Vitamins also has a sample pack of Protein powders etc for $3. As you start eating more healthy you will also "detox" from carbs etc and feel much better. It will be nicer for you after surgery! Good luck!!

Congrats @@katanne ! My first appointment with the dietician is in a couple of weeks. My plan is the same as yours... I don't have to lose a specific amount of weight (outside the 2 week liquid diet), but gaining is a deal breaker. I'm also lucky the only real thing my insurance requires is phone calls with their people.