Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did a search but couldn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I am still waiting for surgery. I meet with my surgeon on March 8th and hopefully will be getting a date shortly after that. I've already spoken with my employer that I will need time off and what it is for. Work is really supportive of this for me, so that makes it easier. I work in a grocery store as a cashier and it is really physically demanding. Standing on feet all day, twisting, turning, lifting both light and heavy objects (bags of dog food, frozen turkeys, 2L bottles of pop, people here love their pop!) Just about every inquiry into time taken off on here is replied to by people who work desk jobs. Does anyone else here have a physically demanding job that they have returned to? How long were you out? How do you feel at the end of your shift? How long before your energy returned? I know that it varies from person to person, but I'm just trying to get a general feel. I'm thinking of taking 2-3 weeks off, but will for sure ask my surgeon about it on the 8th.

Thanks!

Honestly, with a physically demanding job, I'd say more like 4-6 weeks, especially because of the lifting and twisting. What you'll need to do postop is work on your endurance for standing all day after you're cleared to lift.

i would say 6 weeks. You can't lift for usually the first month, and your energy levels are not going to be high enough to work a job like that until about 6 weeks. If your job can accommodate you with light duty then maybe.

I'm one week post op and have a desk/driving job and I'm taking off two weeks. There's no way I could go back right now. Since you have a physically demanding job, I agree with the prior posts, four weeks at a minimum but I would take 6 weeks to be sure.

I had more of a desk job, but people in my support group with physical jobs like yours are mandated 6 weeks off by our surgery group.

Following....I work as a bartender 1 day a week. Lots of lifting, twisting, standing, and walking.

I was hoping not to have to take 6 weeks off. But if that's the way it has to be, so be it

I had a hernia repair at the same time as my sleeve and my restriction is not to lift, push or pull more than 20lbs for 8 weeks.

I am a vet tech with a very physical job. On my feet all day, bending, squatting, kneeling. Lifting everything from a 1 pound kitten to 60 pound dogs to wrestling goats and wrangling pissed off horses. I am partners in a mobile practice so its just me and the vet. If I don't work, business is closed. No such thing as lunch breaks or time off. I planned to take two weeks, but it's kind of hard to tell our patients not to get sick or hurt so I went back to work after 7 days.

I had a 20 pound lifting restriction for 3 weeks so we didn't schedule any large dog surgeries or equine appointments but other than that I Worked my normal 8-10 hour days. Sipped Water and Protein shakes all day in between appointments. Hit the couch as soon as I got home that first week but after that I barely felt like I'd even had surgery. I was back to lifting 40-60 pounds on exactly day 21.

I am a dog groomer and while I'm sure lots of jobs are more physical than mine i would say is fairly comparable to yours in nature. So lots of standing, picking up, repetitive motions and getting bit. Well maybe not that last one. Haha! I went to work after 2 weeks with a weight restriction. I think it was like 25 to 30 lbs. So if a dog was beyond my weight restriction i would either get help lifting or try to get the dog to jump on my table while lowered. My coworkers were awesome about helping me when i needed it so it wasn't really a problem for me. I do think that it may have been a little better to have stayed off for another week cause i was sure tied the first week or so when returning but maybe it'll also would have made it harder. I guess I'll never know. But good luck with your surgery!

I am a veterinarian and I planned on taking 6 weeks off. However I am 3 weeks out today and feel great, so may return next week.

Don't push yourself or else you may get an incisional hernia, which means more surgery.

I have been talking with my employer about this, and they will be training me to work the customer service desk when I return, rather than going straight back to a register. That will be a big help, and I won't have to lift anything. Thanks for all the replies!

It's kind of funny because I am college educated, and did the whole career thing for a while. Of course government cuts were made and all the programs I worked in suffered because of it, so I started looking for a job in an established company where I could just plant my feet and stay a while. Grocery store cashier for the win! And to boot, I actually love it. My favourite customers are the older ladies and gents who come in once or twice a month. I have to take my time with them and show them how to use the debit machine, and I help load their carts for them and they are just so darn appreciative. It's nice being appreciated. It's really nice that my manager is being so supportive of me too. When I come back and work the desk my hardest task will be standing for 4-5 hours to complete my shift.

I'm a nurse, I went back to work after 4 weeks... But had to be careful lifting anything. Other than the lifting, I felt great and could have gone back earlier.

I'm a nurse as well. I took five weeks off, but had tough issues for a couple weeks afterward. I work in pediatrics, and getting up and down off the floor or trying to pick up my 25 lb patient killed me.