Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can older people benefit from Bariatric Surgery?

One of the questions recently studied was whether the efficacy of RNY gastric bypass surgery depend on the age at which people undergo the surgery.

One might think that the later in life a person decides to have the treatment, the longer he or she might have had obesity-associated ailments, and thus the surgery might be less effective.

This question was investigated by Dr. Lance E. Davidson from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah and colleagues, and the results were published in JAMA Surgery. These researchers were interested in the efficacy of bariatric surgery (in particular Roux-en-Y surgery) in reducing both all-cause and cause-specific long-term mortality, with respect to the age at which the surgery was performed.

To test the hypothesis that the later the age at surgery, the less effective it would be, the researchers evaluated the data from a cohort of 7,925 persons who underwent bariatric surgery, and compared their outcomes to those from a second set of 7,925 people. This group was matched for severe obesity (average BMI was over 45), gender and age but these people did not have the surgery.

All those evaluated were followed for an average of seven years. The data were divided into four groups based on age at surgery:

less than 35 years old
35-44 years old
45-54 years old
55-74 years old
The risk of death from any cause was significantly lower in the three older age groups than in the age-matched, non-surgical controls — mortality rates were 54, 43, and 50 percent, respectively.
In the youngest group, however, there was no difference between the surgical and control groups. That lack of a difference was due to an increased risk of death, especially in young women, due to external causes such as accidental deaths, homicide and suicide. In addition, the risk of death from heart disease and cancer was lower at all ages in the surgical group.

:) Encouragement. I was 59 when I had my by-pass and I have done real well. it has been a year and 4 months and I have lost 150 pounds. I am feeling much better and so thankful for the weight loss as I am going in April to have my knee replaced. Having this surgery was the best thing I have done for myself. I am much happier and able to get around much better. :rolleyes: Keep your eyes focused on taking care of yourself you deserve it!

happyfrog4u, thanks for comment. i am 57. presurgery. trying to lose the 20 pounds i need before surgery. down 9 so far. 11 to go. need knee surgery too but don't dare with my weight and history of dvts. hoping dropping a hundred pounds will make the surgery easier. you are my motivation. :)

happyfrog4u, thanks for comment. i am 57. presurgery. trying to lose the 20 pounds i need before surgery. down 9 so far. 11 to go. need knee surgery too but don't dare with my weight and history of dvts. hoping dropping a hundred pounds will make the surgery easier. you are my motivation. :)

I am aging myself. Ha ha I won't be 57 til April. In my mind I am 57 and postop. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I am 62 had my by pass in jan no heart burn since losing weight and walking better good luck to you all

Wow that is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

Laurie, really talk to yourself about being good to you. We have had years of not being good to ourselves. IT IS OUT TIME so SMILE, Laugh and know that you are really special and YOU CAN DO THIS I promise.

I had my surgery at 65 . It has been 11 weeks now. I have lost 40 lbs anf feel so much better. It's never too late

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi all! Last year I had Roux-en-Y surgery at age 61 with no complications from that surgery. May 19th 2016 will be my year and I've lost almost 100 pounds and I am looking forward to actually getting to 100 pounds before the 19th. I need four or five more pounds to get to my third revised goal. All my comorbidities gone that of high blood pressure, pre-diabetes and high cholesterol. My blood work looks absolutely fantastic I feel good I exercise almost every single day some days I walk 8.5 miles and will increase that to 10 miles per day at least three times a week. I drink a lot of Water and pray each each and every day! Be encouraged the future is very bright!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I’m 66 and just starting this process. Just met with the nurse last week and I’m booked to see the dietician and social worker at the end of the month. I have 90 pounds to lose to get to my ideal weight and I can’t wait to be the one saying “I’ve never felt better!” Aretha Franklin had bariatric surgery at age 70!
However, I have to say I’m worried about post op complications down the road such as bowel obstruction. That’s my only real fear.

I’m 66 and just starting this process. Just met with the nurse last week and I’m booked to see the dietician and social worker at the end of the month. I have 90 pounds to lose to get to my ideal weight and I can’t wait to be the one saying “I’ve never felt better!” Aretha Franklin had bariatric surgery at age 70!

However, I have to say I’m worried about post op complications down the road such as bowel obstruction. That’s my only real fear.

Aretha gained it all back I'm afraid. I'm 64 and getting a gastric sleeve in two weeks. I have high expectations. It's going to be a very positive thing for me. I foresee adding years to my life without diabetes and congestive heart failure. There will be no stopping me[emoji5]