Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off for stay at home Mom

Hi all,

I was curious how long stay at home Moms needed help at home. My doctor said 3 weeks. My son is 10 so he is very helpful. My hubby can probably get 1 week, but 3? No way, they have been laying off and we don't want to draw any negative attention to him. I know everyone is different, but if anyone could chime in it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have family, my parents both passed a few years back and my in laws live in Norway/Spain.

Thanks,

Uberbuffaloegal

Since your son is ten, you will do better than someone who has lap babies or disabled parents to care for. You will need a couple of days just to get the anesthetic out of your system, and you will be tired at least until you get back on soft foods. You will no doubt have a lifting restriction. Mine was no more than five pounds for a month.

I needed help getting the laundry to the basement but was able to do the wash once it was down there. Then I had help bringing it back up. If hubby can get a week off and help around the house that week, you should be able to putter around after that.

You might not feel like driving until you get some strength back. I was ok around the house from the second week out and had "cabin fever" by the third week.

I agree with @@Miss Mac, you should be fine with a couple of days of help around the house, barring some sort of horrible complication. This sounds like a good time for your son to get more involved in meal prep, laundry, and other household chores if he isn't already ;)

Also, if you do need more help, consider hiring someone from care.com to come in for a few hours each afternoon to help with light housekeeping and meals if you can afford it. That way your husband could avoid taking off any additional time, and you'll have some truly free time to nap and focus on things like planning your Protein and Fluid intake. Good luck!

You should be fine with a 10 year old and your husband to pitch in. If it would make you feel better, cook up a couple of weeks worth of meals that can be frozen and nuked (I'm the only one with no nuking capability, it seems). Your guys are capable of doing laundry, but if they balk, let them shop together for a new supply of underwear so that they don't run out.

I think your son will be happy and proud to cater to you for a while. While he's at it, have him swivel around your signature photo up there.

Since your son is ten, you will do better than someone who has lap babies or disabled parents to care for. You will need a couple of days just to get the anesthetic out of your system, and you will be tired at least until you get back on soft foods. You will no doubt have a lifting restriction. Mine was no more than five pounds for a month.

I needed help getting the laundry to the basement but was able to do the wash once it was down there. Then I had help bringing it back up. If hubby can get a week off and help around the house that week, you should be able to putter around after that.

You might not feel like driving until you get some strength back. I was ok around the house from the second week out and had "cabin fever" by the third week.

Thanks Miss Mac, I was really worried I would be bed ridden for 3 weeks, I know that doesn't make sense but our mind does funny things when left to its own devices. If I can potter I am good:) but only 5 lbs eek that is my handbag. Thanks for the info

I agree with @@Miss Mac, you should be fine with a couple of days of help around the house, barring some sort of horrible complication. This sounds like a good time for your son to get more involved in meal prep, laundry, and other household chores if he isn't already ;)

Also, if you do need more help, consider hiring someone from care.com to come in for a few hours each afternoon to help with light housekeeping and meals if you can afford it. That way your husband could avoid taking off any additional time, and you'll have some truly free time to nap and focus on things like planning your Protein and Fluid intake. Good luck!

Hi Bufflehead,

You are absolutely right, I will start my son now in learning to prepare simple meals. He already does laundry so I am lucky there. I hadn't thought of just hiring someone for a few hours a day, I had it in my mind they had to be there all day, Thanks for the tips.

You should be fine with a 10 year old and your husband to pitch in. If it would make you feel better, cook up a couple of weeks worth of meals that can be frozen and nuked (I'm the only one with no nuking capability, it seems). Your guys are capable of doing laundry, but if they balk, let them shop together for a new supply of underwear so that they don't run out.

I think your son will be happy and proud to cater to you for a while. While he's at it, have him swivel around your signature photo up there.

Hi WLSRes,

I am like you I nuke almost nothing. So it will be a learning time for me as well. I think I will definitely try to get at least a weeks worth of meals pre made, just in case. My son is at a wonderful age, he still enjoys mom time. So I know he will be happy to help.

Oh I know the picture, lol. I'll fix that on my computer tomorrow, I am not tech savvy,lol.

Thanks for your help

I am also a stay at home mom with two kids (1 and 2) I also care for my father who lives with us. My husband plans on taking a week off.

Howdy. I actually didn't have anyone with me after the day I came home. The next day, hubby took my kiddo to school and I was already able to drive and pick him up after. I didn't need pain meds after the second day. Not everyone heals the same, but you should be fine with a few days or a week of having your hubby home.

I am single and live by myself. I had two horses, three dogs and three cats to feed, Water and walk. Not to mention laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, shoveling and plowing snow. Other than getting a friend to shovel snow for me, I was able to do everything else myself without assistance. I was shopping the day after surgery; plowing my driveway 4 days postop. I guess I was lucky....no pain or nausea at all, and actually back to work at an active, physical job within 7 days.

A friend of mine had a hysterectomy 1 month after my VSG and her husband was working out of town at the time. Her recovery was much harder than mine. She was out of commission for almost 2 weeks. But her 10 year old son took care of everything....laundry, washing dishes, making simple meals, helping her up and down, and making sure she was following doctor's orders. ;)

I completely agree. VSG recovery is sooooooo much easier than a hysterectomy.

I was running errands by day 4.

I am also a stay at home mom with two kids (1 and 2) I also care for my father who lives with us. My husband plans on taking a week off.

Hi 1excited,

Where are you in the process? My paperwork was submitted on Feb. 11 so I should hear any day now. Wow, two little ones and your father, sounds like you are surrounded with blessings and responsibilities. I cared for my parents when my son was little, so I know. Good luck with everything, :)

Hi 1excited,

Where are you in the process? My paperwork was submitted on Feb. 11 so I should hear any day now. Wow, two little ones and your father, sounds like you are surrounded with blessings and responsibilities. I cared for my parents when my son was little, so I know. Good luck with everything, :)

@@uberbuffaloegal as you know little ones plus caring for someone is a challenge but as you said it is both a blessing and responsibility. My paperwork was submitted February 19 BUT the insurance coordinator did not send in any of my clinical notes. The insurance company contacted her and she still did not send it in. I called my insurance company a week later and they explained what was going on. I called her and she lied and said they refused to give her the fax number. I called and they were like that is not true and here is the fax number. She also said she called them twuce , which also was not true. So my paperwork just sat for a week because she sucks. I called today and it is being reviewed. I have aetna. Who is your provider?

Hi 1excited,

@@uberbuffaloegal as you know little ones plus caring for someone is a challenge but as you said it is both a blessing and responsibility. My paperwork was submitted February 19 BUT the insurance coordinator did not send in any of my clinical notes. The insurance company contacted her and she still did not send it in. I called my insurance company a week later and they explained what was going on. I called her and she lied and said they refused to give her the fax number. I called and they were like that is not true and here is the fax number. She also said she called them twuce , which also was not true. So my paperwork just sat for a week because she sucks. I called today and it is being reviewed. I have aetna. Who is your provider?
Hi 1excited,

I have BCBSTX, I was denied by Aetna in 2013, my gp had my height wrong by 4 inches, so it showed that my bmi was under 40 in the last 2 years. The lady that handled the appeals at my dr. Office was in a terrible car accident and my appeal was not timely or correct. I can't be mad, poor dear, and the lady trying to do it had no clue. I have severe sleep apnea. But don't worry I know lots who had no Trouble with Aetna. So now 2 years on I have BCBSTX and I am trying again, still no word as of today. Any word on ur end? Did they send the notes? I am in Socal, OC, where r u? Goodluck

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Hi 1excited,

Hi 1excited,

I have BCBSTX, I was denied by Aetna in 2013, my gp had my height wrong by 4 inches, so it showed that my bmi was under 40 in the last 2 years. The lady that handled the appeals at my dr. Office was in a terrible car accident and my appeal was not timely or correct. I can't be mad, poor dear, and the lady trying to do it had no clue. I have severe sleep apnea. But don't worry I know lots who had no Trouble with Aetna. So now 2 years on I have BCBSTX and I am trying again, still no word as of today. Any word on ur end? Did they send the notes? I am in Socal, OC, where r u? Goodluck

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

@@uberbuffaloegal you will not believe this BUT they did it AGAIN. This time they only sent in 60 days instead of 90 days and once again totally blew it off when the insurance called!! The surgeon got them to send it in so I am still waiting Have you heard anything back yet?

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App