Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hawaii pre & post bansters

Hello Everyone,

I hope that everyone is doing well. Who will be attending the February support group? Not sure if everyone got an email about paying for the scrapbooking thing through Ben Franklin.

I am doing ok. I am now starting to really struggle with having no restriction and then mental hunger. How long did everyone wait for their first fill?

Did anyone hear that Dr. Fowler is doing the fills differently? I hear he is using ultrasound and that some peoples insurance covers the fill not. Not sure if this is true but that is what I hear. Can anyone confirm this. I guess I should ask next week when I have my 1 month follow-up.

Any suggestions on what everyone ate during the mushie stage that might be exciting.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

Natasha

Hi Guys,

Been out of touch for a while. I did end up going and getting another fill while I was still in the 30-day trial and error time frame. First two days were horrible but I am fine now.

Yes, Tashie. Dr. F has a new procedure for first time fills I think it is. It is the X-ray/Ultrasound thing. I cannot remember his reasoning but I am sure it is a good thing. I do not know about how the insurance works on that. Everyone is so different. I know I had to pay for 20% of my hospital, around $1500-$2000 give or take.

I won't be at the Feb support group. I have company. The meeting will be a scrapbook thing through Ben Franklin. Mary has the information to sign up. You have to do it prior to group, I think.

I am not sure what is going on with my body right now. After the second minor fill, I lost 3 more pounds. However, my body just stops losing wt. No matter how little or how much or how long or short I exercise, I stay the same. I basically stayed at the same wt loss since my surgery until the day I went to get my fill and I had gone up 3/4 of a pound on that particular day. Then lost the 3lbs after the 2nd mini fill and that's it. My body says “I’m done” And let me tell you gals, I need to lose a lot more.

I am a little frustrated. It's like I can eat a Shrimp, a pea and a crouton, and I am happy, or I could eat a TV dinner and a salad and be happy too. I rarely get hungry. I eat because I know I have to, and then sometimes it is a wee bit more, only because my taste buds and brain says this is yummy. But it's not a problem to stop.

I am sure the Doc thinks I am cheating or doing something funky, but I am not....I am just at a stand still. And I am only 3 months out from surgery. Isn't this the time one should be dropping the pounds like crazy????

Any suggestions???? Any comments???

Aloha Siri,

I have been MIA too. Im in the same place as you. I have two fills and stopped at 43 and go up and down a pound or 2 here and there. I am lately battling depression which i never had, maybe because im lacking somethign in my diet. I saw Mary last week and she told me to cut off one Protein Shake and to just focus on gettign it from my foods. Im so worried about not losing here that i make sure ig et enough. i have added carbs back in my diet im sure thats why im at a stand still... I can eat rice and some breads, but i dont do pasta... so i typically only have 2-3 tabs of a carb.. maybe more at times, but i dont get it... sometimes i dont eat much, and still stuck at that weight...

Miriam

Hello ladies, well welcome to my world. So it seems that we are all in the same boat. I too have been yo-yo ing with the same 5 lbs for about a month or maybe more. I was at 188 lbs at my last check up with Dr. Fowler at the end of November, and I am still only at 181 lbs on a good day. I too am very frustrated, and so is Dave, he is stuck also. I dont know what else to do, we seem to be doing all the right things, still exercising, still watching what we eat. I mean we dont eat near the amount we used to yet. No big losses. HELP!!!!!!!!

We will be going to the informational seminar in March, as kind of doing a testimony kind of thing for the group. Sounds like fun, then we will have our next appt. With Dr. Fowler the next day. The meeting is set for March 19th. Maybe we can meet up after that, I dont know how late it will be though. Our appt with him is first thing in the AM and I know you all work, but maybe later in the afternoon??? Miriam, we were planning on going to the Temple in Laie, maybe see you around there???

OK sorry so long..

Sure would love to see you two... I'm excited to here about your progress even though we are in the same boat. Seemed to have lost much more than I did before getting stuck at a weight.. Still working out too, although I admit at times, I do have some sweets, not enough to throw me off. I drink coffee with Equal. I cant seem to stop that, im so tired. My baby is 14 months old today... yeah......

Miriam

Hi Guys and Gals,

Hmm, I see Mary this Friday. I am going to bring up the plateau issue with her. I am frustrated because I can't lose nearly the amount of weight you all have. I am stuck at around 10 pounds. So many people I know have lost 25-75 pounds. I wish I could lose at least 25 pounds. I had big plans for this summer but I don't think it's going to happen if I don't lose more wt. Gosh, I hope my body isn't saying, “Okay, you're done”. I didn't go through all this for 10 pounds.

I am not going to the scrapbook meeting tonight. I have company in town. That doesn't help at all either. food, food, food. My frig/kitchen was so healthy but with company, there are things in like waffles, bacon, ice cream, soda, candies, chips...you get the picture. I’m not really interested in the food. But I do find I am eating more often than usual. Like, I ate a whole stalk of celery while people nibbled away all weekend on their stuff just so I’d be doing something while they were eating. Celery is good, better than the chips & ice cream, but WAY more than I normally eat.

Anyway must get back to work so if anyone has a revelation to getting the pounds off, loved to hear it.

Siri,

Same boat here, kinda down from it too. Missed the meeting because we are dealing with the TB issue at work(Kahuku High School). On top of that my daughter was notified she may have had contact with the infected teacher, im like great.. all things add up to stress and some eating, most cases i didnt eat well at all this week. Hoping to do better in the next few days. I am still working out, but so tired from multiple tasks, its rough.

Miriam

Maybe its just the time of year, because it seems although we are all in different stages, but we are all plateau-ing. Isn't it funny that prior to surgery we ate a ton of food, and gained weight at a reasonable amt., but here we are eating a small amount of food, exercising, and still NOT losing, hows that happen. It is so frustrating, but the way I look at it, at least we aren't gaining extra lbs, on extra lbs. I am thankful for having the surgery, so I shouldn't complain. See ya around.

Well no, im fluctuating between 3-4 pounds... Maybe its Water. I guess we are all saying that its hard at the plateau points. I hear ya...

miriam:mellow:

Ok,ladies how are we doing. Havent checked in a while. I've been a little down in the dumps. For a while i wasn't sure if i was missing something my diet to contribute to that but let me be the first to say, i forgot to take my Vitamins. I have been struggling now for over 2 wks. and got them back into my system now. I need more b complex too, but i did want to report that i reached the 50lbs loss mark.. Yeah...

Aloha, Mes

So I have been at 40lbs lost for about two weeks. I can not get a fill until March 4th. I wish Dr. Fowler told me that it would take weeks to get a fill. I called a week ago and thefirst available was Feb. 26 but I can not make it that day, so the first date I can go is the 4th. I am able to eat anything. That is making it very hard.

I wish everyone luck.

Aloha,

Natasha

I see I am not alone in the plateau boat. Whew...lol I have been on the longest plateau. I was banded 7/11/06 and have lost 50 pounds. Sounds great, but it was all the first few months and nothing in about 8 months. I started at 235, and I have been at 186 to 184 since then. In the last month I have hhit 181 2 times, but a few days later back up to 185. UGH.... I have had about 8 fills, and seems that I have restriction for about 2 weeks then feels the same as before. I know my port is partially flipped (x-rayed in Mexico when my husband had his band placed) but my doctor has been able to work with it so I do not need surgery yet.

But anyway, I meant to post a "greetings" post to get to know everyone as my husband and I are moving to Hawaii December 31st to be exact. We are selling everythign and downgrading to a small apartment to save money til then. We are so excited to be joing all of you! :biggrin2:

When I saw all the plateau posts I had to chime in. Hope everyone is having a beautiful Sunday!

Deanna

Welcome. When are you moving here? Where are you moving. Most of us live on the Windward side of the island. Kailua, Kaneohe, Waimanalo....We meet first Wed of the month at Castle hospital.

Hope you will be able to join us here.

Our flight leaves December 31st. We leave Texas December 23rd to see my in-laws for a week, then on to Hawaii. We are saving about $30,000 before we go so we have time to find jobs and figure out where we want to live. Depends on the job situation I guess. My husband is a warehouse manager for 20 years and I am on real estate, loan servicing/teller or child care. I have a few things to fall back on. I was hoping to get on with the city. Maybe the tax office.

Thanks for the welcome!

Deanna