Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I am New to this..

I am a mom of 2 who has struggled with weight all of my life. I was always the heavy kid, too fat for the other kids to sit next too. People around me always made sure that I was aware how heavy I was. So by the time I hit my teens I started starving myself to fit in. I have tried so many things to help.. Lemonade diet, Atkins, Juicing, smoothies, Veggies & Fruits only, Detox Water, Garcinia Cambogia, SlimQuick, Dieters Tea, Green Tea Capsules, Phentermine, Metabolife,Hydroxycut, low Carb High Fat,Very Low Calorie Diet, of course Exercise and more. I will sometimes lose a little and gain a lot back or lose nothing. I do have health issues such has GERD, joint issues, Chronic Pain, Migraines and more. I am 5'1 (so they say) and at my consultation 1/21 my weight 243.12. Everyday is a struggle and some days are worse than others. I live in Rochester, NY and a friend forced me to go to a seminar with her to RGH. I shared with her my need to No Longer Struggle and Be Overweight. I would like to walk a flight of stairs without losing my breath. I notice that I feel like I'm always angry because I'm just so unhappy with my weight and inability to do things. I want to see my feet again and not just my stomach. I would like to play with my 7 year old and not stop a bunch of times to catch my breath. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out when playing with him so I try to limit it. I would love to not have to park in the Handicap spot while feeling secure that my hips and knees won't give out because I'm so heavy. Overall I want to be a Healthier, Energetic, Happier mom who can give as much time to my children as they want for play. I want to be here for my kids, to see them graduate and become adults and more. I understand with having Bariatric surgery it is Not A Quick Fix but it will overall help me in the Future. I do have Medicare as my primary and Medicaid as my secondary insurance. I was told that I have to complete a 6 month supervised program with the Bariatric office that I went to for consultation. This consists of 3 Nutrition visits, psych evaluation, monthly weigh ins, a letter from PCP, labs and more. I am up for the challenge as this will help me in the Long Run!!!

Sorry so long

@@MsB7

I wonder if it was fate that you wrote that post and that I read it. I just sat here and re-read it about 3 times. There is so much of your post that brings memories and echoes to my mind. I just got to the end of my mandatory 6 months+ of PCP monthly visits, physical therapy, counseling, nutrition, Nurse Practitioner, and 17+ lab and specialty appointments. I know what your going through with that. It's a long haul and you aren't allowed to miss or just not go to the appts. It's all required to see if you are really commited and that you will be compliant to ensure your success. One day at a time; that's all you need to concentrate on. One day at a time. No one is perfect and everyone struggles and makes mistakes. You get back up, do your program, keep the faith and keep it honest. Keep it real. This is a chance of a lifetime to take back your life and live it healthy and happy. So, welcome to this forum. Explore all the forums and ask anything you want. Sending out positive energy to you! You are okay and you can do this!! ????

Thank you so much. I'm nervous about all of this. The 6 month requirement ok I get it now but it just seems so far away.

Hello so happy you made the decision to take back your life and it may seem hard but it's not keep the faith.We all go through the same thing when we decided to take the step to control our lives.I am waiting to be scheduled for surgery and is having a hard time on this liquid diet you just have to stay positive and focus.

You can do it

I'm in Rochester NY as well! Are you having surgery out of Highland? I'm 5 months out and would love to be your friend. :)

Oh, I see now you said RGH. You may want to check out a seminar at Highland as well. Their bariatric unit is incredible. ^_^

Congratulations on your decision. So much of what you said resonates with me. I have always been the fat kid too and I have 7 kids I love and want to be able to be the mom they deserve. I had rny in November and it was the best decision I ever made. I can do so much more now than I used to be able to. I would get winded walking to the kitchen or from the kitchen to the bathroom and forget the stairs! That would be a lay on the bed huffing and puffing unable to breathe event every time I had to go upstairs. Fast forward to today, and I not only can walk up the stairs without being winded, but I run up the stairs and don't double foot each step. I dance with my kids, I walk around the neighborhood and I wear clothes that 6 months ago were nothing more than a distant fantasy. It really is the best decision I made and I know you won't regret it either.

Sajijoma that is Awesome!! I'm happy to hear that you can do so much without stopping to catch your breath. I'm excited just reading that. I can't wait until I have the chance to do these things. :)

Cervidae I would love to be your friend as well. :)

I was at your point in August of 2015. I decided enough was enough and I was tired of being 5'3 242.

I was tired of always feeling like the fattest person at every event I attended. Tired of trying to wear corsets to look decent dressed up.

I too thought 6months!!! That's an eternity away! I want this surgery NOW! TODAY even!

But now that I'm 6 months down the road and will have surgery in 2 weeks I'm grateful for the 6 months.

I needed those 6 months to change my mindset. This surgery I am convinced is 85% mental. I needed to change my attitude towards food and eating in general. And the 6 months flew!!!!

So, congrats on starting your journey, to make the next 6 months go quickly work with your team, visit these boards often for support, inspiration and community and work on you and changing your relationship with food.

And for me scheduling my pre op testing that was required by my insurance took a while so much of that time was needed to check off all my requirements before I was able to submit to insurance for surgery approval. ( I needed cardiology, Pulmonology, psychology clearance)

Good luck and welcome!

Thank you Nurse_Lenora and Congrats on completing the 6 months and getting your surgery date. Did you lose any weight during that time?

Thank you!

I actually started my pre-op liquid diet January 1st. I decided new year, time to get serious if I'm going to do this.

Between January 1 and January 20th I lost 21lbs.

My scale broke and I'm still waiting on the Amazon gods to deliver my new one so no current weight until it arrives but I am noticing a difference in my clothing and it feels great!

If I could give you 10 min of how much better in feeing just losing 21 lbs you would be running to the surgeon!

I no longer fee like a stuffed sausage in my clothing, no longer have a large stomach , just a medium size now! Lol

No longer think OMG the escalator is out in the train station and I must walk up the stairs all the way to street level! ( I'm a city girl)

No longer look at food and have to taste it, no longer make my partners lunch and eat 4 slices of cheese while I do it and the crust of bread I trimmed off to make it fit in the tupperware.

You will too!

Edited by Nurse_Lenora

If you haven't already I would download myfitnesspal and start logging all of your food. It's so helpful!

Thank you so much. I'm nervous about all of this. The 6 month requirement ok I get it now but it just seems so far away.

I started this process in July and had my surgery in November. I was impatient too. I wanted to go faster, but when I focused on learning as much as I could, it helped. Also when I focused on today each day, instead of how long until my time was up, it actually went by really fast. It especially went fast once I got the surgery date and had to make sure all my ducks were finally in a row. I'm glad I had the time to develop new habits. I am now two months out and I am smaller than I have been in a decade! My habits I developed before surgery are sticking and the weight is coming off, sometimes slower than I wish, but progressively nonetheless.

You can do it! Focus on the learning and you will be ready to bloom after surgery!

pam