Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel a few months following surgery

Hello everyone,

I am seriously considering moving forward with a surgery this spring. I am wondering if anyone has traveled a few months after their surgery and how it went?

I'd consider scheduling a surgery for late March/early April but am concerned about a 10 day trip my husband and I have planned to London (from Canada) in mid June.

Would this be a concern? I should be back to eating "regular" foods by this point (although seriously less of them).

You're talking about a tad more then two months after surgery or perhaps a little more. You should be good to go regardless of the procedure you have. Present the question to your surgeon/staff along with all your other questions. If you haven't yet taken the first step -- attending the intro info session -- you can pose the question there.

I went to Mumford and Sons concert about six weeks after my surgery and it was a really unhappy experience. I was having sugar issues everything smell delicious but I couldn't eat it. I cried.... A lot pain through? No just mental anguish.

I went to Mumford and Sons concert about six weeks after my surgery and it was a really unhappy experience. I was having sugar issues everything smell delicious but I couldn't eat it. I cried.... A lot pain through? No just mental anguish.

That might be the worst part for sure. My husband will be able to eat all the yummy foods and I won't!

I really don't want to wait until July to have the surgery though. I'd like to get started on the "new me" sooner!

If you do go ahead and get your surgery, you certainly will fit into the airplane seat a lot easier. Walking around will be easier with less weight.

If you do go ahead and get your surgery, you certainly will fit into the airplane seat a lot easier. Walking around will be easier with less weight.

Exactly!! And that would be sooooo awesome not only for this trip, but for a whole life going forward :)

I had my surgery in May last year and flew out to California in July. The trip was great but I really had to be careful eating out. I hadn't eaten anywhere but home before my trip (except for Wendy's chili and Taco Bell pintos) and the first few meals were a challenge. By the end of the trip I was just requesting an extra salad plate and taking a few bites from the rest of the family. Just be prepared with high Protein Snacks and water bottle and you will do great!

I had a family vacation 3 weeks post op. Plane ride was fine. Finding soft foods and foods that agreed with me was a little tough. I think a few months post op and you will be fine. Just make sure to bring your Protein Powder, bars, etc with you!

One thing to double check would also be your travel health insurance. Some have restrictions after major surgery -- up to three months I believe.

That might be the worst part for sure. My husband will be able to eat all the yummy foods and I won't!

Respectfully....Time to get used to it & your professional team should have explained this to you.

This will always be the case, even years after the surgery & perhaps forever.

It does mean you will find different food type/s that you wouldn't have eaten before, but now enjoy.

e.g. I used to dislike salads period, particularly with US type heavy salad dressings.

Now I like all salads [as long as there is no cucumber] especially ones that have lighter Japanese style dressings with sesame as well as those Asian crispy noodle type salads are great.

I could eat that every night when my other half can eat & enjoy anything she likes.

Bars & all that commercial stuff have never entered the equation from this end!

Point is your & hubby's eating habits, won't necessarily ever be in synch again.

Realizing this now rather than later, is a good thing.

As for traveling, it is cutting things close, but all should be fine....look into the insurance aspect, though.

Edited by rastus

I really don't want to wait until July to have the surgery though. I'd like to get started on the "new me" sooner!

Then don't wait if you don't have to. Your London trip is no cause to delay surgery. As to your husband eating the "yummy" things, which might those be? Hmm? The four basic food groups: Sugar, salt, grease and starch? Break them down to their essence and they don't sound so yummy any more. In seriousness, you'll have time to think ahead about how to eat while you travel.

Celebrating your surgery with a trip sounds mighty good to me.

I had my surgery on 12/4 and on 12/10 I went to Florida for a short four day trip. The only issues I ran into was getting Protein drinks. I don't really like the powder, I can never seem to get it blended well unless I use a blender and that was not an option to take along. I thought I would be real bright and find a GNC or something similar where I could pick up a few premixed Protein drinks or Isopure or something of that nature and absolutely couldn't find anything but a CVS that had the low cal muscle milk. Not my favorite, but it worked.

Hotel provided bottled Water daily so I was covered there. I grabbed some of the powdered power aid to mix in because someone else suggested it was good to replace the electrolytes while flying so I stuck that in my back pack just in case. Not sure if it really did anything for me or not, but it didn't hurt me either.

Went to a couple of different restaurants and found two of them served French Onion Soup - that worked out very well. In fact, I told the waitress at one of the restaurants that I had just had gastric surgery and could only have broth so when the Soup came out of the kitchen and was delivered to my table she came over and realized that it was LOADED with cheese and croutons, she picked up and took it back to the kitchen and brought me a bowl that and had more broth so I got enough to eat that was on my plan. Couldn't ask for more than that. I also told a couple of the other waitresses in places I went that I had just had surgery so they wouldn't think I didn't like the food they served. I am not one to broadcast my medical history, but I hate it when you only eat a teeny tiny portion of your food and the manager comes over thinking there is something wrong with it. I figure it is better to get that conversation out of the way early so it isn't awkward for them.

Have fun on your trip - you will find things that you can eat and stick to your plan. Get started on that new you and buy yourself something nice to wear while you are there or as my friend talked me into in Florida, buy a "goal" shirt. I found a shirt there that I really liked but it was too small - she convinced me it wouldn't be for long and go ahead and splurge!

Suggestion:

My surgeon gave me an official card [credit card size] indicating that I could not eat large servings & that children's size serves or special type food may be necessary.

It has worked the 2 times I needed to use it when travelling in the US.

I went to Las Vegas for 10 days when I was 7 weeks post op. I was down nearly 60lbs and feeling fantastic.

I was able to fit in the airplane seat with no extender, I walked for miles and miles and had more energy than my family members.

The toughest thing is to stay hydrated. When you are traveling and not paying attention this can get away from you. Carry Water with you everywhere and make sure you are sipping constantly.

Bring some Quest bars with you just in case you cannot find anything that will work for you in the restaurants. The reality is, you won't be hungry anyway but finding some cottage cheese or scrambled egg is not to difficult. You may be on soft foods at that time so a nice piece of fish or chicken breast might work too.

Just realize that you literally will only eat a bite or two and you will be full so if you can share, you should.

You will become a cheap date! LOL!

By the way, I came back weighed myself and was down 7lbs! I have yet to go on a vacation and gain weight.

I went on an 11 day cruise and lost 5lbs.