Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 600 Pound Life: 2016 Season

You can watch full episodes from season 1 and 2 on Youtube. Just type in "600 pound life full episode" in the search bar. There are also full episodes from "Fat Doctor" and "My Big Fat Fabulous Life."

I think they pay for the surgery and everything included. Maybe even the apartments that most end up staying at but that's just a guess. They can afford to do this if people watch the show because they are making big money from it. I think they have to be accepted as a candidate and probably sign their rights away and agree to be filmed while showering!

Most doctors won't do surgery on the super morbidly obese so Dr. NOW is probably getting patients left and right that will pay their own way.

This has honestly been one of the most motivating shows for me. I started watching it long before I even considered WLS for myself.

I can remember cringing while watching it prior to my surgery, mostly because I felt guilty about my own situation at that time and the fact that I was doing nothing about it.

I learned both great examples to follow off this show and also what not to do (Penny). I can remember feeling like why would you put yourself through all this if you are going to stick your head in the sand.

Nikki is a gorgeous young lady with a gorgeous heart. I really look forward to them doing a follow up, and I am hoping she continues to be successful. I honestly have no doubt that she will given her drive to get her eating disorder under control.

I really do wish they would spend more time on the prep to get ready for surgery instead of the shower and bathroom scenes. I think it is good that they show the daily struggles and I actually liked that they showed the jerk in the grocery store who made the rude comment and Nikki's reaction. The reason I was glad they showed that was in the hopes that maybe 1 non fat person will understand how horrible words hurt. To Nikki's point, you can have those thoughts but saying them out loud is so hurtful.

My Mother n law was like that. She would buy a gift of clothing for me or my husband who is also obese. She would ask, "will it fit or ask you to try it on" of course she would always always always buy clothing 4 or 5 sizes too small. If you responded with this won't fit, she would say well then lose weight!

We collect wee forest folk mice. One year she gave my husband a little mouse that was standing on a scale wrapped in a towel. She then said, get the hint?!

Keep in mind this woman was obese herself.

If one person changes their rude behavior because of this show it would be worth it. Words hurt! Obese people turn to food for comfort.....

Wow DJ re your m-in-l -- mine was similar, ie, upon seeing my husband (her son) and me after a long absence, her first words to him were: "wow, you're some size!" -- ugh

Anyway, that was years ago, but your comments reminded me of how stressful her visits were --

But back to the show - I totally agree, I think the shower/toilet scenes are humiliating and unnecessary to get the point across of the difficulties of everyday life at that size. I saw a rerun of Penny last night and literally could not watch for more than 5 minutes, she was/is such a prima donna a-hole, excuse my language -- I didn't know new shows were on, will have to set my DVR -

I thought that at first but once I got honest with myself and accepted that I was super morbidly obese and could die because of it, it became easier to watch. I have learned a lot from watching it.

This is the first season I will be watching post-surgery so I noticed last night that I have a different perspective already.

I watched the show too. I haven't had my surgery yet. Scheduled for Jan 26th. I would love to know how watching it post-surgery you have a different perspective of the show?

I thought that at first but once I got honest with myself and accepted that I was super morbidly obese and could die because of it, it became easier to watch. I have learned a lot from watching it.

This is the first season I will be watching post-surgery so I noticed last night that I have a different perspective already.

I watched the show too. I haven't had my surgery yet. Scheduled for Jan 26th. I would love to know how watching it post-surgery you have a different perspective of the show?

For me, I wouldn't watch when I was obese. Much too painful. I watch now as a cautionary tale.

I think I am paying more attention to the post-op portion. I was eager for them to just get the surgery over already!

I binge watched many weight loss surgery and obesity related documentaries during the two weeks after surgery on the couch. I was home by myself and off work, so there wasn't much else to do.

Anyway, I remember getting choked up during many episodes. Most shows or movies don't move me enough to make me cry, but this show did. It was probably the hormones or the strong sense of empathy. It's odd that I can watch the show now, 15 months later and not be as moved, or at least not to tears.

I am a terrible person sometimes with a quirky sense of humor and I always say self deprecating things about myself to my husband and others. Mainly to let them know they don't have to walk on eggshells around me and there are probably many other subconsciously buried reasons. Anyway, my husband who is a very average size guy usually watches with me.

I am a 300 pounder myself and I remember one of the first shows we watched was a woman of over 600 pounds and of course she was showering and we were both looking horrified. Then I looked at my hubby and said "I bet I'm looking pretty good to you about now" Well, he almost choked on his beer, but sometimes I have to lighten the severity of shows like that because they are to real and I think of me or my loved on in worse condition than I am already and don't think I could bear it.

I love this show. I can relate enough to their struggle to feel for them, but also get frustrated when I see how easily some of them give back in to the old habits.... like someone prior said, a good cautionary tale. I find that I sometimes really blame the family members that, for whatever reasons, feed and enable and try to sabotage these people after surgery. They are the ones that need counseling to see why they prefer their loved one so unhealthy and obese...

I love this show. I can relate enough to their struggle to feel for them, but also get frustrated when I see how easily some of them give back in to the old habits.... like someone prior said, a good cautionary tale. I find that I sometimes really blame the family members that, for whatever reasons, feed and enable and try to sabotage these people after surgery. They are the ones that need counseling to see why they prefer their loved one so unhealthy and obese...

When I was 11 I was sent to a fat camp for 2 months came back home and gained what I had lost plus more. I was back to a different fat camp the following year. It was a WW camp and they taught us new ways of cooking as they held some cooking lessons. While I was in the lessons I am thinking to myself but I don't cook it is my Mom that cooks she should be here. I went home with the recipes we were given and that first month she made some of the recipes and then went right back to cooking the way she was use to. I always felt that my parents should have been offer the same classes during the parents weekend visit, but they weren't. By Christmas that year I had gained back my weight.

So I agree the parents also need counseling and lessons on how to cook and eat healthier and not be enablers to their loved ones. If this had happened in 1968 I might not have gone through all my life as an obese person as I was not old enough at that age to really understand what WW camp was trying t teach us. .

I was always hesitant to watch that show because, well frankly I saw myself getting to that point and it terrified me.

I began watching that show last year, way before I decided to make a change myself and have VSG. I watched the new episode yesterday, like you, because I had DVR'ed it. There are parts of the show that I think go to far, such as the shower scene. But I will say, that the young lady on the new episode seems to be one of the most serious in her attempt to shed the weight and take control of her life.

I learned a lot from the series.

I love this show, I watch it every season. It helps me to stay on track and reminds me of where I almost was. Most times you are happy for the people and other times you are cursing at the TV because here someone gave you a second chance and you are back to eating fried foods all the time and not moving a muscle. The shower scenes have to be for shock value, no other reason to show that. I always wondered if TLC paid for the surgery or if they paid themselves. Skin tight looks really good and I enjoyed the first episode. I am not at goal yet but I know I will have to have skin removal surgery. I can't wait to see the future episodes of both shows.

When I watch this show, its typically a single person living at home or a single mom, etc. Usually their enablers are also overweight. They rarely have a job. I wonder how they can afford to eat what they eat and almost daily eat fast food every day. That can get very expensive, especially the amount of food they eat. Where do they get the money for all that food. Are they are getting federal or state assistance to feed their habits? then others pick up and move to Houston to be near the doctor. wow.

I do watch many of the episodes. Some I am rooting for the person, others I just feel they do not deserve the effort the doctor and staff are putting in. then others I wonder how the heck they are carrying around all that weight and still be alive. OMG.

It is a motivated for sure.

Edited by trekker954