Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 600 Pound Life: 2016 Season

I have only recently started watching this show and I did catch the premier this week.

One thing that resonated with me from the show was her sisters attitude toward her. She told Nikki she didn't want her children to have any contact with her because it was emotionally traumatizing to them. I am aware those were not the exact words used (because I can't recall the exact terminology she used) but the meaning is the same. It's bad enough that others attitude and thought processes continually perpetuates the stigma attached to morbidly obese individuals but this was worse because it was a family member. Furthermore, if she thinks she can shield her children from seeing fat people she is sadly mistaken.

Moreover, the other issue with the sister that made my ass crave stove wood is her telling Nikki when she did see her she was scared she was going to die and would never see her again. Well if that's true why would you distance yourself from her rather than embrace the time you had left with her?

I am glad she was able to forgive her sister and mend the relationship because that would've been a hard one for me. I think she was doing it for herself more than she was her sister.

I binge watched Fat Doctor repeatedly before surgery. I feel like it is a better quality show that tells better stories. And it is better prep for surgery than 600lb life.

I don't like 600lb life and I never identified with the people on the show. All of them have people that take care of them and help them get that huge. As a single person that has lived alone for 20 plus years, it is just a foreign concept to me. Also their lifestyles and socio-economic levels are just too different for me to relate to.

Nikki's adult sisters have skipped off to enjoy their lives and left their parents stuck with 2 adult children they have to take care of.

The skin tight show, I will be watching. Watching that show filled me with so much dread and despair, I can't even express it properly. I can already see the skin issues and I can see that some skin, in a lot of places is not going to snap back and I am going to need surgery. I should be able to afford surgery, but still the idea of needing it so desperately is not something I look forward to.

Moreover, the other issue with the sister that made my ass crave stove wood is ....

I cannot even imagine what this phrase means!

LOL!

I'm watching it now. I have watched in the past and it frustrates me. 1) I just don't like Dr. Now. I think he is very cold and matter-of-fact without really understanding. And I HOPE that they actually see a NUT and a therapist, but they don't show that part. 2) Some of the people frustrate me to no end. So far (only small way through), I like Nikki. That episode with Penny made me want to throw things at the TV

Sometimes I feel guilty watching it. I just feel like it really exploits instead of uplifts.

I do want to see the Skin Tight show...

I just wish they would show more follow up and the journey over the year or two after surgery.

I am in love with that show. I was nowhere close to that size when I started this (273lbs) but I was full of self hate. However, I also didn't eat what they show they do. Mine was more of a not eating your body is starving so keeps the wt on type of deal. However, it doesn't matter....I was in the same boat. It's enlightening and uplifting to watch them.

I just wish they would show more follow up and the journey over the year or two after surgery.

I think the first season or so spanned a longer timeframe. Now, they are for one year, with a lot of that time pre-op and getting ready for surgery. They do go back periodically and do a where are they now episode which is interesting.

Outside, I agree with you, while I binged watched yesterday I don't really really to these patients and or their socio-economic level. I guess that was why my comment earlier.

i too do not care for Dr. NOW. And then watching the first episode of Skin Tight. yikes. First i was surprized she went back to her WLS surgeon. If/when I decide to have plastic surgery, I will use a known and experienced plastic surgeon. I assume maybe it wasn't costing Lauana anything by using Dr. Now. But geez lousie, that really old doctor that he brought in. OMG. I was so happy to see the guy (forgot his name) who lost the weight "on his own" (I hate that verbiage) his doctors were young and positive.

I do like watching plastic surgery shows. But Skin Tight, oh my, they are all so cut up.

@@trekker954

Yeah with a face like hers, I wouldn't let those old dudes hack on me. All they did was remove her skin. They did nothing to shape her body. Now she is built like an ipod. Congrats I guess. Her face is a 10, it seems like someone like her would really want to spend the money on someone that is going to sculpt your body and give you a feminine shape.

I think it depends on who's paying. My insurance will pay for skin removal, but only by my bariatric surgeon. If I want it done by a plastic surgeon, I'm on my own...

On Skin Tight, I would like to think the show pays, and maybe she though Dr. Now would do a good job??? I don't know.

As far are her shape afterward, I think she was a touch too thin and would benefit from some muscle mass. She was just very skinny. to me.

Is it just me or does anyone else have the sneaky suspicion that the doctor is making excuses in order to give the patients sleeve gastrectomies instead of bypass? It seems like every case now he goes in saying that he had to do a sleeve because they were too big or what not.

Is it just me or does anyone else have the sneaky suspicion that the doctor is making excuses in order to give the patients sleeve gastrectomies instead of bypass? It seems like every case now he goes in saying that he had to do a sleeve because they were too big or what not.

The sleeve is an easier surgery. Frankly, I am not surprised he was unable to do the bypass on Nikki. She carried so much of her weight in her abdomen I believe it when he said that he wouldn't be able to make the connection. I am sure that was why he asked her to lose additional weight in the first place.

According to my surgeon the longer a patient is on the table the more risky the surgery. To me a sleeve surgery that takes 45 minutes compared to a complicated surgery that he may not be able to complete seems like a good choice.

Remember, the earliest seasons were filmed 10 years or so ago. A lot has changed in the last few years.

I think it depends on who's paying. My insurance will pay for skin removal, but only by my bariatric surgeon. If I want it done by a plastic surgeon, I'm on my own...

On Skin Tight, I would like to think the show pays, and maybe she though Dr. Now would do a good job??? I don't know.

As far are her shape afterward, I think she was a touch too thin and would benefit from some muscle mass. She was just very skinny. to me.

My insurance is the same way, my Tummy Tuck will have to be performed by my WLS because I also have a hernia which is used as the reason for the surgery. I wouldn't have him fix the girls and would rather pay out of pocket for that.

My insurance is the same way, my Tummy Tuck will have to be performed by my WLS because I also have a hernia which is used as the reason for the surgery. I wouldn't have him fix the girls and would rather pay out of pocket for that.

If I may ask, What insurance do you two have? I also have a hernia and the WLSurgeon didn't want to take it out during my Jan 26th gallbladder and sleeve surgery. He said it was because it could come back and would make my surgery take even longer. However I am wondering if he didn't want to take it out now as he see all ready I will need skin surgery too. I can't afford plastic surgery and told the Surgeon that so he told me to document all skin rashes etc.

I was thinking after this sleeve surgery when there is open enrollment I might change and know which insurance would allow skin removal surgery would be very helpful. Thanks

i actually bought season one from Amazon and watch it in between seasons now. i will be 2 yrs post sleeve in June. I have leveled off my loss, and have back slid a bit, gaining 5 lbs.not bad, but i don't want to see it become 10 or 15 or 20...i am working hard to get back on track and seeing a new season start is inspiring.

i have always loved the show, i also LOVE Fat Doctor on Youtube from the UK and the one from years ago with Dr Garth Davis and his Dad that was on TLC, they have since re-run it and renamed it "My weight is killing me". Of all of them, Fat Doctor shows more of the medical side (i'm a nurse), My 600 lb life shows more the 'living' part of post surgery, the Garth Davis one was a bit more fast paced. i love them all though.