Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got sleeved last night! My experience

Greetings fellow sleevers! am 28 years old 5'3 with a hw of 217lbs.

So yesterday was the DAY! I am a self payer and went through a lighter me in Mexico. Everything is wonderful so far! I'll give a recap of my experience.

When I got to the border i parked in the US and was picked up by a driver who took myself and a couple other folks to the hotel. The hotel was beautiful! The room had two twin sized beds and a comfortable and spacious bathroom made for people just coming out of surgery. I had been so tired from just drinking Clear Liquids and knocked out right away.

The next day we were again picked up and taken to the hospital with the other couples (as a side note, I am on this journey alone by choice) once we arrived at the hospital we were taken up to our floor by our driver Abraham.

After a few minutes wait and getting to know the incredibly sweet people there to have their surgeries done, we were one by one shown our rooms. I was checked on by the staff and given something for anxiety since my heart rate was a little fast and my hands clammy and cold!

The sweetest woman, the wife of a man getting the bypass would periodically check on me and just chat and make sure I was comfortable. It felt like she was my guardian angel!

Finally, I was taken to the operating room and before I knew it it was all done! I had nausea and cramps and was burping up blood, which is to be expected but they gave me all the anti nausea and pain medicine I needed. I just now drank some blue stuff for the X-ray to check for leaks. Fingers are crossed there's nothing wrong with my sleeve! I will update my journey in a couple days. Its been a pleasure reading others' journeys and mine has gone smoother than expected so far but I don't want to jinx anything! I have told ONLY my best friend who hasn't been completely supportive but I quickly nipped it in the bud and she is less negative about it now.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery! Keep us posted on your recovery!

How wonderful for you that all is going well. I have two more days, I hope it goes as well as yours. Best of luck to you.

I recommend getting checked out once you get back to the us as when I woke up there was no coughing up blood. that's a warning sign something isn't right is what my staff told me here in Rhode island

Edited by Scott Myself

I got the leak test and was a-ok according to them. I feel good so I'm really not worried but yes I will follow up with someone in the US even though they said some blood is normal

And I've since stopped burping up any air or blood

Thanks for the heads up though for sure

Burping up blood, not coughing? and how much? blood tinged? bright red? I would think this could be ok after having Gastric surgery as your stomach is connected to your esophagus where you eat and burp, not your trachea, which is used for breathing and coughing. If it continues always call your surgeon. Stick to your discharge orders. Congrats.

Edited by IrishGermanRN

Yes burping, strangely. Like when you drink a beer too quickly. Bright red at first dark afterwards. I think just from the sleeve. Maybe they got a vessel but either way its all gone

Good to hear all went so well and how happy you are with the results! Congrats!

Which dr did you go with in Mexico?

Hope all is well with a speedy recovery!

How is your recovery so far? I see Dr Ortiz 1/20

Recovery is going perfectly. My incision areas are a little sore like if I did an ab workout. It's hard to get 64 oz of liquid down since i can only sip. A little diarrhea with sugary drinks like Gatorade and broth that is too salty. They will take you on a tour to get ice cream, go shopping, to a restaurant to get Soup and finally to a pharmacy for antibiotics and other meds to help with symptoms like bloating, diarrhea, nausea, back aches and things like that. In my opinion the tour was way too long for someone just a couple days out of surgery, but it was survivable. I did not have any soup or ice cream because I'm pretty sure it would have just gone straight through me.