Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans....#1 thing you miss / don't miss

food wise, I don't really miss anything. I feel like I can eat whatever I want and for the m ost part I eat much better quality, high value food. What I sometimes miss is being numb...I don't seem to be able to evade and avoid the world like I used to. This is less about food and more about the fatsuit - I didn't realize the many hidden purposes it served until it was gone gone gone.

What I DON'T miss - pretty much summed up as "sitting on the sidelines of life". I go shopping with th trim pretty girls, I take on new hobbies without fear of being foolish and too fat (kayaking, snowshoeing, hiking), i look no more ridiculous than anyone else on the dance floor, I can "run up the stairs" without fear of heart attack, I can walk across a crowded room and not wonder how people are looking me/judging my size ..Haha. I can go on and on....but being at maintenance for a few years now I realize this whole slice of life that I only partially participated in before.

I guess I told myself I didnt care about such superficial fluff, but now that I have it, I realize what a liar I was. Honestly I would have told you (and people told me this!!) That I didnt let the excess weight keep me from living a full life. I call shenanigans!! I DON'T miss being in denial about what living a full life means.

I had similar struggles and it has taken time and getting my head screwed on straight to get past this. I was not used to looks of appreciation, or being asked to dance, or asked for my number and who knew th a that sort of thing would make me feel so "exposed". I recommend the tincture of time, reflection, combined with getting outside your own head and perhaps counseling. Good friends help alot too.

Miss: Eating a whole cheeseburger, really eating a whole anything, the ability to eat a lot of BBQ, enjoying carbonated beverages, tequila, skin that isn't loose and squishy.

Don't miss: The person I was before gastric sleeve. I always thought I was ok. After a couple years of having to adjust my entire mental state I learned that I was not as emotionally stable as I thought I was. I learned that I had used food as a crutch, that I was somewhat angry and terribly insecure, and that (newsflash) I was NOT ok. Oh and I'm not big boned either. I was just fat. These were terrible lessons to learn and lessons that should have been learned long ago. It took having most of my stomach removed for me to simply begin figuring out who I am.

Just ridiculous isn't it? It's been nearly 3 yrs now and I'm glad I finally started getting the point.

I've been wondering if any of you experience this problem: Before surgery I always thought that I would enjoy not being invisible. That I'd enjoy attention from the opposite sex and that I would love to be considered one of the desirable women. Come to find out, I don't want the attention after all. I do not want any extra attention from the opposite sex and I find that I am very uncomfortable with too many compliments. I'd kind of like to just be invisible. Go figure.

For a lot of people the weight loss journey is focused on health and food/exercise choices and habits. It's not that at all for me. The benefits have been on an emotional/psychological level. And I'm glad I went on this journey. I'm pretty much at peace with myself. All because I had the bright idea to have most of my stomach removed. Who knew.

I still would like a cheeseburger.

Male attention is really tough to deal with and I am shocked at how straight forward men can be. I literally have a kid on each hip and a wedding ring and still get hit on. My husband is a very large man. 6'4 350 pounds. We use to " match" now he feels like people look at us and wonder what is she doing with that guy?? I love my husband fat or thin but my thinner frame has made him a lot more self conscience about his bigger frame.

Plus it does t help that I am basically a midget lol

2wlwui8.jpg

What I miss: not much! Like others, there are times when I'd like to chow down on just the right kind of sandwich or a big, fat cheeseburger -- munching on a baguette, etc.

What I don't miss: being so damn self-conscious every where I went. It's been so great going out into the world these last two years and holding my head up high, having a good time. I no longer look around to see if I am the heaviest person in the room and I don't worry about what people might think about what I'm eating/not eating. I just do my thing and I sure don't miss questioning every aspect of my eating all the day long (should I have this, should I be "on" or "off" a diet, etc. -- happy to not be on a diet!).

Thanks for a great thread and Happy New Year all!

(Oh, I kind of miss champagne -- cannot do the bubbly unless it's in a mimosa or something that flattens out some of the carbonation....)

what I miss? Uhhhhhhhhhhh

What I don't miss? morbid obesity, large clothes, name calling. Happy new year.

I miss eating bread, sparkling Water, plain Water and eating a plate of French fries.

I don't miss being out of breath walking up stairs, wearing clothes just because they fit and not because I like them. I don't miss my double chin.

Great thread @@Kindle!

Everyone who has already posted have pretty much covered anything I miss and don't miss. The one biggie for me that I do miss is my very thick wonderful head of hair with lots of body. Lost a lot of it starting at week 13. It is growing back, but it's coming in quite curly and too slowly to suit me.

I don't miss having to buy hip friendly tops/blouses and slacks. Now XL in most any brand works for hips and shoulders. This will get even easier/better as I continue to lose more of my weight on my way to goal.

Another thing. I use to not be able to play with my kids. No slides, no bike rides no fun. But NOW!!!

1z6bpnc.jpg

Thank you to every one who posted! I'm pre-op (1/13/16) and it's very exciting too see all of the successes you have. It's interesting how most of the things every one misses relate to food. I think that will be difficult for me to get used to, but I honestly am so so so much more excited about doing all the fun things I love to do again!

Miss: although I've gotten used to it, every once in a while I miss eating and drinking at the same time ( depends on the meal).

Don't miss: my poor mobility. On the rare occasion I went to the mall, I moved my car to each store I needed or got as close as possible. I also feared dropping something on the floor/ground because I couldn't bend down to get it, makes me want to cry just writing this.

Even though I'm not at goal I LOVE MY SLEEVE!

I miss champagne - I'm not much of a drinker, but I would have a couple of glasses periodically. Sometimes I miss the ability to sit down to a big plate of food and going to town.

Things I don't miss - so many…the pain, emotional and physical. The embarrassment of a life gone out of control. Feeling tired all the time. Depression. Shopping in the big girls' section.

Miss: champagne on special occasions

Don't miss: having to buy two airplane seats (and sometimes not being able to afford that, so missing important family gatherings, travel opportunities, etc.).

I was sleeved 9/23, my daughter's wedding was 10/18. I went for my first post-op check-up and we discussed the transition to whole foods, etc. She warned me about alcohol and that from now on I would be a very cheap date. I started a sentence with... "My daughter is getting married in two weeks..." and the doc cut me off, smiling while she said "Of course you can have the champagne toast." She went on to warn me not to drink a whole glass, as I would be uncomfortable, but a few sips of champagne would do no harm. It turned out that a few sips were all I wanted.

For me, I miss the ease of eating. Being able to grab anything at any time for a meal. and bread, Yeah real good old basic white bread or rolls. I was a bread hound. The sandwich is the perfect food, was a motto of mine.

I don't miss the staring, the insecurity, the judgement in the eyes and attitudes of people around me. Isn't it interesting that at my job, since i've lost all this weight, ive received two promotions, i know head up my team, I'm looking at a huge raise, i've been given large amounts of responsibility etc. While I don't think its intentional, the attitudes of those around us, reflect in our attitudes toward ourselves.

. While I don't think its intentional, the attitudes of those around us, reflect in our attitudes toward ourselves.

@@Stevehud, love that sentence, so true

I miss my ass! I went to Disneyland at thanksgiving and my boney butt was getting slammed all over the rides. That padding is all,gone and even sitting on chairs and benches ends up a pain in my ass so to speak.

I don't miss soda. The first 6 months I wanted it so so so bad. About 6 weeks ago I took a sip of my husbands Dr. Pepper and I almost spit it out. It was so gross. Like pure Syrup. Bleh!!

For @@Djmohr also

Just a tip about the boney butt thing--I had the same issues till a physical therapist helped me improve my sitting posture. I was used to sitting back on my cushy butt but skinny people maintain the curve in their lumbar area and sit on the "sitz bones" as some call them--basically the back of the thighs more than the butt. To feel it, sit and over exaggerate the arch of your back and feel what you are then sitting on. Meant a WORLD of difference to me!