Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans....#1 thing you miss / don't miss

. While I don't think its intentional, the attitudes of those around us, reflect in our attitudes toward ourselves.

@@Stevehud, love that sentence, so true

Yes. Many times yes. I was speaking about this to a friend yesterday who has never struggled with more than about 20lbs to lose and she was floored.

For me it's a chicken/egg thing. Yes I was treated differently because of my weight, and it affected my confidence which affected how I relate in situations which in turn affected again how I was treated ad infinitum.

I miss occasional carbonation. Not sodas (which surprises me I was a Diet Pepsi addict!) but an occasional beer. And I'd love to try a Moscow Mule, LOL, but carbonation does a number on me.

I echo what @@CowgirlJane said. I don't miss sitting on the sidelines of life. I participate fully in my life now, and my kids lives, in a way I hadn't before!

I miss Red Robins Banzai Burger and steak fries. I wouldn't even be able to eat 1/3 of that now and it doesn't keep well so I don't even bother. I miss Chineese food. Now all that greasy fried stuff with rice wouldn't sit well.

One thing that I don't miss is something I didn't know the sleeve would fix for me. I had really bad IBS and it has been such a blessing that I can't even tell you how my life has changed not worrying what I ate, where I am, where's the closest bathroom.

Great thread-

LA

I miss being able to go to a fast food restaurant and knowing what I was going to order.

What I don't miss-sitting back and watching everyone else laughing and living in the moment, and me sitting on the outskirts. I don't miss shopping for a shirt that fit and buying one in each color because I felt it was the only one that fit. I don't miss all the extra laundry loads as both me and my hubby were way over weight. I don't miss sitting around and having noting I wanted to do because I hated walking around. I don't miss all the conversation I missed out on as I was stuffing my face. I don't miss the dr always telling me I needing to lose weight or face possible medical problems. I don't miss having trouble getting up and down off the floor, chairs etc. I don't miss having to have the seat in the van pushed back as I was to large to have it at a comfortable position. I don't miss feeling guilty after I ate a whole bag of Cookies, chips, ice cream ect.

I don't miss any of that as I have an 18 month old grandson to live for and three amazing young ladies I call my daughters to live for. The only thing I wish is I would not have waited so long to open my eyes and "see" what I was missing and should have done this earlier!!!

Good luck to everyone starting your journey and hold on it is a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings!!!

Kindle,

Great topic!

Miss: not much. (I’m a bander, not a VSG patient). I guess I miss being able to eat certain things without thinking twice. I mean healthy but stringy or fibrous things, like celery or popcorn: healthy foods that can stick in the band.

Don’t miss: being fat, missing life, being tired, thinking about food, being ruled by food, being embarrassed, fad diets.

On balance…things I DON’T MISS far outweigh things I miss! Thanks for bringing that up and reminding me how much I’ve gained since losing!

I miss eating smooth, creamy, cold ice cream. It makes my tummy sick now, so I had to give it up. Use to love eating it mostly around this time of the year. (Winter Time) The stuff that is going on about ice cream now makes me miss it even less.

When i was fat, I was always hurting someplace on my body. I do not miss the pain.

I can honestly say I miss nothing...I was a fat ass my whole life...sad but true. I'm still not a skinny gal but a happy one. I have a glass of wine here and there...desert here and there....I am living life and loving it! My only regret is that I waited so long to get my sleeve.

I miss my ass! I went to Disneyland at thanksgiving and my boney butt was getting slammed all over the rides. That padding is all,gone and even sitting on chairs and benches ends up a pain in my ass so to speak.

I don't miss soda. The first 6 months I wanted it so so so bad. About 6 weeks ago I took a sip of my husbands Dr. Pepper and I almost spit it out. It was so gross. Like pure Syrup. Bleh!!

I came home bruised after my last trip to an amusement park from getting slammed around in the rides because there was not enough butt or shoulders to hold me tightly in the restraints!

Who knew right?

When I was moving the Christmas tree I realized it was moving me me and I couldn't figure out why...then it dawned on me "I'm a 100 pounds lighter than I have been." That extra bulk came in handy in some situations. And I'm still trying to get used to the lack of padding on my backside. I used to have a 30" inseam, but its now 29" because there is a much smaller caboose.

I don't miss sweating, cpaps, high blood pressure, gout flareups, not fitting into booths, man boobs, feeling like I need oxygen just to have sex.

I miss my ass! I went to Disneyland at thanksgiving and my boney butt was getting slammed all over the rides. That padding is all,gone and even sitting on chairs and benches ends up a pain in my ass so to speak.

I don't miss soda. The first 6 months I wanted it so so so bad. About 6 weeks ago I took a sip of my husbands Dr. Pepper and I almost spit it out. It was so gross. Like pure Syrup. Bleh!!

I came home bruised after my last trip to an amusement park from getting slammed around in the rides because there was not enough butt or shoulders to hold me tightly in the restraints!

As one who had to take the walk of shame for being too fat to fit in a seat...I'll take the bruises.

When I got to goal I found moving hay and opening heavy doors (seriously? ??!) to be a challenge. It dawned on me how I used my mass before.

When I was moving the Christmas tree I realized it was moving me me and I couldn't figure out why...then it dawned on me "I'm a 100 pounds lighter than I have been." That extra bulk came in handy in some situations. And I'm still trying to get used to the lack of padding on my backside. I used to have a 30" inseam, but its now 29" because there is a much smaller caboose.

I don't miss sweating, cpaps, high blood pressure, gout flareups, not fitting into booths, man boobs, feeling like I need oxygen just to have sex.

When I got to goal I found moving hay and opening heavy doors (seriously? ??!) to be a challenge. It dawned on me how I used my mass before.

Ditto! I felt like such a wimp stacking and loading hay the last two years. I used to carry an extra 100 pounds around with me every day and now I struggle just to lift and stack an 80 pound bale.....I AM a wimp! But I'm a HOT wimp ;)

when Imwas fat I could be walking around with one of those huge acme weights like in cartoons and no one would even look at me. Now guys come out of no where to help. It freaks me out. How was I "invisible" at nearly 400 pounds and now I am a damsel in distress??

It's because you are no longer invisible.

when Imwas fat I could be walking around with one of those huge acme weights like in cartoons and no one would even look at me. Now guys come out of no where to help. It freaks me out. How was I "invisible" at nearly 400 pounds and now I am a damsel in distress??