Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated...Searching 4 Doctor in Mexico

I have been reading all kinds of threads and posts from all of you out there..I will be selfpay (my insurance won't even considerme) so I started reading about Doctors in Mexico and Canada for some reason the $$$ difference is very high and in my case, it is what's making me look more in to Mexico, I'm 6'4" and weigh 310 lbs i have to do this if I want to have any kind of quality life otherwise everyday for me is harder and harder to do even the simplest things...I can't go on like this. Any info will be appreciated,I have to do this soon before it's too late for me. Thanks!!!!

I have been reading all kinds of threads and posts from all of you out there..I will be selfpay (my insurance won't even considerme) so I started reading about Doctors in Mexico and Canada for some reason the $$$ difference is very high and in my case, it is what's making me look more in to Mexico, I'm 6'4" and weigh 310 lbs i have to do this if I want to have any kind of quality life otherwise everyday for me is harder and harder to do even the simplest things...I can't go on like this. Any info will be appreciated,I have to do this soon before it's too late for me. Thanks!!!!

I'm not sure what your bottom line is. Dr. Kirshbaum in Aurora CO will do it all for $9950 and you don't have travel hassles, etc. I met him yesterday and found him to be very kind and supportive.

I had my surgery done in Mexicali, Mexico (3 hours from Phoenix) in April by Dr. Aceves. He and his staff are wonderful. The cost was $8200 which included hotel stay, all test, 2 nights in hospital (if needed), transportation from San Diego airport and free fills for life. I was very skeptical about going to Mexico but 2 friends who are nurses used Dr. Aceves and highly recommended him. I'm glad I used him!

I too used Dr. Aceves. My SIL and I went together and had our bands done, we went to him, as did Shirley on the personal recommendation of someone I knew who used him. Next week he is doing the banding on 2 of my nieces. I was very happy with my experience. That being said, I fully 100% agree with elinrw said, about checking into a US Dr. I have heard good things about Dr. K, who is in the Denver area (Aurora as stated). Follow up care can be difficult to find, especially for those of us banded outside the US of A. Before making final arrangements with ANY Dr. outside of your area, see what kind of follow up care you can set up. I relaize you can go back to MX if needed for fills/adjustments, but what if you get sick suddenly, you need something set up prior to going.

Prior to my surgery I set up with another Dr, in Colorado to do my band care, fills/adjustmens etc. But even he is 5-6 hours away. There is not a single Dr. in my state doing the surgery. So I also met with a local general surgeon, about the band (since Gall bladder issues follow WLS so often) and also with a local oncologist I knew prior, since they are accustomed to accessing ports. I got all those ducks in a row, and speaking to one another before making the deposit to get my band surgery done. It has worked out well for me so far.

If there is anything we can help answer, please feel free to ask!

Kat

I'm not sure what your bottom line is. Dr. Kirshbaum in Aurora CO will do it all for $9950 and you don't have travel hassles, etc. I met him yesterday and found him to be very kind and supportive.

When you say "do it all", what do you mean, what's included?? It some how sounds to good to be true for it to be in the U.S. My kid needed stitches for a cut in his arm last year and it cost me me near 2k. And somewhere I heard the band alone is like 4,000 dollars. Does he have another surgeon assisting him, or does he do it alone?? Is it in a hospital or in a clinic? I've called around and the reputable doctors go from 16,000 to 25,000. I don't know about this. Thanks for the info, I'll check into it.

Bakerman:::

Give Dr. Francisco Gonzalez a call', I'm sure whatever your budget for this surgery is, he can accomodate you. Talk to Laura. He has more than 10 years experience, he did my lap band. He is simply the best. Amazing surgeon, great doctor excellent human being, why do I say excellent human being? because he does two or three lap bands a year for FREE. I asked him about this and you know what he answered looking me right in my eye? "If you come to me and your life is at risk if you don't lose weight, do you think I would consider doing a surgery that may save your life if you don't have money to pay me? I feel it is my obligation to give back to the community."

He selects two to three patients a year and does it for FREE!! That just blows my mind!

if that was not enough he has an extremely low complication rate, I know because when I'm in his waiting room waiting for an adjustment there are always 3-5 people waiting and I've not heard any patients complaining of anything serious. In the two plus years I've been going to him. Call him, it may be the best phone call you ever made.

call around and check with these doctors, and i also encourage you to call dr. daniel huacuz. you can go to his webpage and get the number. he is really the most caring and talented doctor. he is so good at doing the lapband. the hotel is next to his private hospital. it is all first class but without the big price. i went in november of 2005. i have lost 105lbs. im going have him do my Tummy Tuck sometime this winter. i have sent many people to him and have had zero complaints about the band. one lady who had tummy tuck had a few complications, but the doctor here in the USA, said it was not due to the doctor, but that she flew after her surgery and the pressure from flying caused her to start bleeding. so if you go for plastic surgery you must drive back or take the time to heal before flying. soon you will have been banded and lost the weight and thinking of the tummy tuck too. i hope you pick a great doctor and have the best time in mexico. i love it there. the people are so friendly and warm. good luck and keep us posted.

I was very happy with my doctor. His credentials are very impressive! I felt the care was great. I paid $8100 and it included everything except travel to San Diego. They picked me up at the airport and everything was covered from there until they delivered me back to the airport for my trip home. I would recomend Dr. Valencia to anyone!

When you say "do it all", what do you mean, what's included?? It some how sounds to good to be true for it to be in the U.S. My kid needed stitches for a cut in his arm last year and it cost me me near 2k. And somewhere I heard the band alone is like 4,000 dollars. Does he have another surgeon assisting him, or does he do it alone?? Is it in a hospital or in a clinic? I've called around and the reputable doctors go from 16,000 to 25,000. I don't know about this. Thanks for the info, I'll check into it.

the cost includes pre op consultation, surgery at a surgery center as opposed to a hospital. My daughter had plastic surgery in one and they are not that uncommon. Fee includes anesthesiologist, dr's fees, operating room fees, etc. When you go back for fills it's $15.00 a fill. I can understand your anxiety, but the dr. was very frank about getting little business when doing it at hospital and that he had negotiated a package deal with the surgery center etc. I looked at his diplomas and he graduated from very good schools--I've read other threads about him and people seem very happy. One of my reluctances about doing Mexico is that American drs. don't want to deal with you afterwords. Had I not been able to get this price I probably would have done the Mexico thing, but to be honest, I haven't flown since I got really fat and don't want to deal with the whole hassle of fitting into an airplane seat, etc. I realize that if you are in another state you'd probably fly anyway. I think, although I've not done so, that there is some state agency which collects complaints about drs. GOOD LUCK!

HELLO EVERYONE, YOYOYO!!!!

I'm new to this scene and I'm lookin around for a hospital, surgeon or clinic that can help me become a hotter momma! I finally saved up my cash, no insurance would take me (f!@#$%$#@!$#%). But I said the h**l with it! I saved up my cash and I am ready!!!!!!!!!!

So give it to me baby, give me the 411! Who, what, where and I know the when, it is now! I am ready!!!!!!!YEA! I want to live! I've got high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, joint pain, sleep apnea, you name it I got it.

Any one out there let me have all your info!

Olivia::::::::hotmomma.

I have my surgery scheduled with Dr Kirshenbaum in Denver, Colorado. He and his staff are very nice to work with and he only charges $9950 for everything including 3 months post op.

I am also self pay and was considering going to Mexico but changed my mind when I found Dr K. I also like the idea that he is in the United States.

Good luck on your decision. :hug:

Hey bakerman

I am going to Dr. Kuri in Tijuana labor day weekend to get the band

I am 382 6-5 and I was in to good of health for the insurance co. good blood pressure and good cloresteral count. I have two friends that went to him and love him, new clinic 4-5yrs old and he done between 3k-4k and they said the place is clean. hell come on down and we will get it the same time! $7500

Big Chris

Thanks a lot ya'll: Big chris, jc, mylap, nic, elin ,misty ,catz, 817 Ive gotten sh***loads of info from all you. but hey gimme a clue, how do I doit without people finding out? I dont wan people to know I gotz a rubber band in my belly!

Olivia:::::Hotmomma!

Hotmomma, just don't tell anyone. As far as anyone knows, I went out of town for a few days. I told my kids, one friend (for emergencies) and that's it.