Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a post-op diet plan plz

Hi all

I Had overseas surgery and all he said was liquids for two weeks and then start with Sami solids, no time line or even other important things such as Vitamins? Disappointed at the promises but now done?

So need help with a proper diet to follow and Protein recommendations... Thanks y'all

AS a band to sleeve revision, my surgeon was extra conservative and had me progress slower than the standard. I recieved a notebook with very clear week by week instructions and goals but it was 4 years ago and i know that Protein recommendations etc are higher now.

I suggest going to the website of a COE like mayo clinic and see what they have posted online.

The key thing is to slowly add. I started with Clear liquids, then full liquids (like Protein drinks), then liquids with a bit more texture (like refried Beans diluted with broth, Soups with no chunks etc), then introduced semi solids like yogurt, cottage cheese... then slowly slowly added. If you ever feel uncomfortable it is likely you are eating too much or eating too fast or perhaps progressing to quickly. Remember that nerves were cut and you may not "feel" everything so eat by the clock and measuring cup (early on, we are talking just a few bites!)

I would be looking for a regular primary physician who is supportive of bariatric procedures.

The supplements I am required to take until forever are:

Sub-lingual B-12

Vitamin D-3

Calcium

Potent Multi-Vitamin

On my own I take Biotin and magnesium.

My diet plan went like this:

Hospital - Clear Liquids (you can see through) No fruit juices. Water, broth, tea.

Home: (Day three) Full liquids. Wet and sippable, like milk, Strained Soup (no noodles or bits)

sugar-free Jello Water, sugar-free pudding

Week Two: Day ten. Purees. Consistency of baby food. Will slide slowly off the spoon.

Yogurt, thin mashed potatoes, chicken pureed in the blender with broth to make it soupy, stuff like that.

Week three; Day seventeen: Soft foods. Thicker, mushy, no bits. Chew til your jaw hurts.

I took things like beef stew and put it in the blender with some broth to make it moist enough to be smushy. I was allowed yogurt to make it moist, eggs, cheese, steamed veggies chewed well. Everything cooked....Nothing raw.

At 4 1/2 weeks (one month) I started regular cooked foods in recognizable form. I could only hold 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of anything. My first food in this category was a small Wendy's chili on the way home from the doctor's office. It lasted me three days!

Three Months: Tested tolerance for raw foods.

Six months: Tested tolerance for salad greens. (at two years they still sit like slime - a waste of stomach real estate). At this point my capacity was near 3/4 cup or two ounces of meat and a couple spoons of veggies.

Tested tolerance for nuts and foods with bits.

One year: At this point I can tolerate one cup of dense food or 1 1/2 cups of Soup sipped over about 15-20 minutes time.

To get the most reliable medical info online, The mayo Clinic, The Cleveland Clinic, and John Hopkins Hospital are good places to start. Anybody can say anything on Wikipedia.

I wish you good luck and good health.

I don't know why this site separated my sentences like that. I did not type it that way.

I don't know why this site separated my sentences like that. I did not type it that way.

I've noticed that for particular keywords (like Protein and vitamins) this site converts them to hot links so inserts extra html code which can throw off the formatting.

You should have been given this information. Your post op diet will be roughly be the following:

1st week - Clear liquids (Water, tea, broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles)

2nd week - Full liquids (the same as clear liquids but adding Soups, Protein shakes, etc.)

3rd week - pureed food (consistency of baby food)

4th week - Soft food (stuff like mashed potatoes, eggs, and the like)

5th week - Normal food (start slowly and don't rush it. Once you can tolerate chicken you are pretty much in the clear.)

After week 5 your focus needs to be on Protein first and then non-starchy vegetables. Only if you have any room left do you eat carbs. Too many carbs will sabotage your weight loss.

As far as protein, you need about 60-80 gms a day. Take a Multivitamin as well.

Edited by Proud2BMe

My doc is very conservative and I am so glad. I have had no issues at all.

Two weeks clear liquid diet

Two weeks liquid diet, Protein shakes, yogurt, milk.

Two weeks puréed. Mashed taters, mashed Beans, baby food, oatmeal, cream of wheat

On week 7, normal diet.

Introduce one food at a time.

Aim for 100 G Protein and no less than 75. At least 64 oz water/ liquid. Protein Shakes don't count as liquids.

Thank you all very useful information will be looking up the other websites and following what I find.

I will also follow with a nutritionist.

My worry first is not to hurt or damage the operation with going fast and second not loosing enough cos I was too quick between the levels

I'm a Stanford patient. They are far more protective of the stomach incisions and not wanting any leaks. After you come home from the hospital you have 4 weeks of high Protein full-liquids phase! Then you advance to a week of puréed foods, then week 6 is soft foods phase. After that you are allowed to go to regular eating.