Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY on Monday 12/14 some unexpected things

I just had my RNY two days ago, I spent only one night in the hospital because my vitals were great, but I have been in so so much pain. I've really been shocked at the amount of pain I've been in. They gave me Dilaudid (sp?) and it does help some, more than the Oxycodone they started me with. It is, however way easier for me to drink Water than I was expecting which must be a good thing. I don't feel any extra pain when I drink but it still takes forever. I haven't yet gotten in 64oz of Water in a day. Today I tried my first Protein shake after getting in about 10 oz of water. I'm using Premier Protein rtd shakes from Sam's Club and they're wonderful. The Protein Shake is also going down very easy but I'm wondering if, like food, I should be trying to get it in within a timeframe. Thankfully walking is getting easier, everything seems to be getting better and best of all I'm not hungry in the slightest even though I've eaten nothing since last Saturday. I really like that. Anyone have any tips, pointers or pearls of wisdom for someone just out of surgery? I'd love to hear the things that helped each of you get through this stage.

Joy :)

My experience was very similar. Surgery around noon or so, and I was released the next day around noon from the hospital. The first 2 days at home were tough. Lots of gas pain in my abdomen and across my back/shoulders. A couple of my probe sites hurt, and my abdomen muscles were painful/sore... felt like I was kicked in the stomach a dozen times. I took pain pills for the first two days at home, and slept tons. By about day 3 home, I was feeling almost back to normal. By about day 5, I felt better than I had in months as my diabetes and blood pressure were under control.

You're doing it right... focus on hydration first, Protein second and walking third. Those are the three keys to healing during the first week. Good luck and congrats!

I wrote a short article about my experience with RNY surgery. Perhaps it may be of help.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

@@James Marusek Thank you so much I'll check it out :D I just wasn't prepared for the amount of pain at all but it is getting better and better as the hours go by.

@@goblue9280 I am sleeping so much since I've been home and I think it's helping a lot, fluids are going down far easier than I expected and best I haven't eaten anything since Saturday and I'm not hungry at all....that's the best part :P

Congrats on your surgery! I was very tired those first 3 weeks. I would take naps throughout the day. We have to remember that this is major surgery and that it takes our bodies a significant amount of time to recover. Sounds like you are doing well and what a blessing to be able to get in your fluids. That's one of the hardest parts.

@@Klolojadie, congrats on your surgery. It's over! You're on the other side! : )

I was surprised by how much pain I was in right at first, too. But it goes away with each passing day. You'll see. I'm two weeks out now, and my middle section is a bit tender, but I quit pain Syrup quite a while ago, even at night.

As for fluids, I count everything i drink as Fluid. So my Protein shakes give me about 27 oz alone. I make a carnation instant Breakfast (low sugar) shake with milk and ice, and it grows to about 16 oz. Then the 11 oz bottle of Premier Protein gets me to 27. I usually drink two bottles of Fruit2-0 during the day. It's flavored Water, 16 oz ea, so that gets me to 59 ounces. Just a few ounces of other liquid like a little diluted juice puts me over 60.

And that's how *I* get my fluids in!

@@bugsy72 That sounds like a great variety too, good! I've noticed today that I do better with flavored liquids than Water just as it is. I've got some orange vanilla mio drops and that is helping a lot today. Premier Protein is what I used today and I was actually able to get in 60g Protein (my nut wants me to get 60-70) And counting those Protein Shakes I've gotten about 60 oz of water. It's like a miracle! Just yesterday I didn't think I'd be able to do it. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to keep it up. Thank you so much for your advice I figure if I can get some wisdom from anyone that has been through this, I'll have other ideas when what I'm doing isn't working for me. Thank you thank you!

You're so welcome! i always drink flavored Water.... i like the kind Sam's Club offers called "fruit 2 O." It goes down much more easily than regular Water. Occasonally i drink normal water but more often, it's the flavored stuff.

I'm glad things are going better!

So lucky I had my sx on the 15th and still in hospital due to post op nausea and vomiting...everything looks good just very swollen so my liquids go down slower...I've not been the least bit hungry either..such a weird feeling!!

Edited by skbumpusRN07