Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can you have with bypass

I had lapband 6 yrs ago and had it removed because of severe reflux. I'm in that 10% that medication does not work. Been doing esophageal Manometry test and barium swallow because my flap is weakened. Dr saying possible gastric bypass to relieve syptoms. I don't know enough about if this is the right choice. Please tell me what uou can and can't have to eat. Also, I'm reading about this dumping. How bad is this and is this going to consume my life.

not everyone dumps - I think I've read that about 30% do.

as for eating, most of us are on high Protein, moderately-low to very-low (depends on surgeon) carb diets, but i can eat pretty much anything in moderation.

Thanks! I'm just trying to find out as much as I can before I have to make a decision

You will only experience dumping if you consume too much fat or sugar. So no, not everyone will experience it. Do research on gastric bypass, it may what can cure your reflux and help you to keep your weight off.

With bypass it cures severe Gerd/Reflux. I know this because I had it so severe that I was coughing everyday violently regardless of what I was eating. I was on the max doses of reflux medications. There was no where else for me to go that is why I had RNY bypass. Along with many other comorbitities.

I have had very few instances of dumping and they were mild. It happens when you eat too much sugar or too much fat at one time. You learn quickly what causes it and you don't do those things.

I literally can eat anything I want. That does not mean that I should nor do I. On occasion I have a small treat as does most of us. Soon after this surgery you tend to crave things like good Proteins and good carbs because they make you feel great. I do not like anything overly sweet and I used to be a sugarholic!

Your tastes simply change.

There are a few foods that I no longer tolerate, eggs and bread for me just do not sit well. They make me uncomfortable so I stay clear of them. If I miss anything I miss a simple sandwich with bread but I am ok having other things instead.

Thank you for your input. I feel better when I talk to people with real experience. Dr tend to not tell you everything

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches