Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery date is 12-11. how soon after surgery were you able to go to the gym and lift weights. and did you feel weak from the lack of calories?

I was walking day one. Up to 30 minutes a day by the end of week 1. Back to Water aerobics week 3. I didn't experience any weakness.

Walking only for first 4 weeks. I got clearance for weights and other exercise at my 1 month post-op follow up. I had no issues getting into weight lifting. I did make sure I had enough Protein (100-110g) and liquids. I was already at about 1000 calories per day anyway. I never felt weak or under nourished, but I did ease into it. Within a couple weeks I was doing a lot more weight and longer on the elliptical. There are some good threads on exercise in the Exercise area of the forum as well. They are worth reading through if you have time.

@@BLERDgirl - no offence, but this is the Guy's Room. We are really trying to build up more male participation with the illusion that we can talk here without the eyes of the women on our words. That being said, I know you and know you have never caused any issues in any of the threads I have seen. Also I know that unless you are on a desktop, the Guy's Room and The powder Room are not easily discerned on "Recent Topics"

@@on the fence 2 - I don't want to be presumptuous, it's of course up to you if you want women to reply to your thread.

Now on to your question! It's going to depend on the individual. Me personally, I went to the gym at 6 weeks. It was pretty comical too. I used to be a weightlifter, but the lack of strength I had was appalling. Of course, I was maybe getting 600 calories a day. All I wanted to do at that time was start building up my stamina. Lots of walking and only 10lb weights to keep the atrophy to a minimum. Talk to your surgeon as much as possible at this stage. They will appreciate your desire to do the right things.

Edited by BigViffer

That is one suggestion I made to my weight loss center. They have a great support system for nutrition, but nothing as far as exercising or physical fitness. They said they are working on finding a certified trainer to work with their patients. Its amazing how broad and general the surgeons are about physical activity.

Sorry. Depending on how you view the forums the Male Only tag doesn't always show. I'll back out now.

October 1st surgery and I have not started lifting yet. I was on a 10 pound lifting restriction until 6 weeks out, and my surgeon/nut advised me not to start lifting anything until 2 months out. I've been sticking with walking as my source of exercise for the time being... but have my bike aired up and ready to go. Also have an elliptical and weight bench with a set of adjustable dumbbells (up to 50lbs) at home. I plan to start strength training soon as I feel I have the energy now.

Like someone posted. I was walking from day one. I was on a 20 pound weight restriction for 6 weeks (I might not have completely followed that advice....) I did swimming and hot tubing once my incisions completely healed (I can't recall the exact date...) I never had any feelings of weakness, I actually felt like I had more energy, even with taking in less calories. On a side note, I would suggest not to over do it, I pushed mowed my acre lot and wasn't keeping up with my fluids and got a little more dehydrated and almost ended up in the ER. So in general, as you increase your activity, consider you will need to drink more fluids then your goal intake is, and early on in my post surgical timeline, that wasn't as easy as it sounds. Good luck!

@@on the fence 2 - The reason for restrictions on weight lifting during the first month has nothing to do with energy, but everything to do with respecting the internal stress on the incision line of the stomach. (RESPECT THE SLEEVE).

Keeping Protein levels up to 100g or more per day will give you your best chance to keep energy level high. I was actually very surprised how high mine was. After a month start light, rebuild the base muscle and in month 2 start going up (I increased weight 10% per week). By month 3 you will be kicking yourself because you relied solely on the scale and didn't use a caliper to measure body fat because you will probably stall when muscle starts to grow but you will see a better indication of your progress by doing really good body fat% analysis.