Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August '07 -- Compare pre-op diets

Shelli, Pat and Kat, I'm also being banded on the 27th!

I'm on 4 weeks of Optifast. Hoping my stomach will shrink soon so I won't be so hungry. I found it interesting that my surgeon said that with just one bite of food on vacation, I could ruin the whole thing, yet some people don't have to be on pre-op.

Marilyn

scheduled 8/27/07

Shelli, Pat and Kat, I'm also being banded on the 27th!

I'm on 4 weeks of Optifast. Hoping my stomach will shrink soon so I won't be so hungry. I found it interesting that my surgeon said that with just one bite of food on vacation, I could ruin the whole thing, yet some people don't have to be on pre-op.

Marilyn

scheduled 8/27/08

Hi Marilyn! And then there were four!! Sorry about Optifast thing-that sounds rough, but hang in there! You'll do fine! My doc doesn't require anything other than a "low fat" diet for two weeks before the big day. That sounds kind of fishy about the "one bite" thing.:) Anyhoo-Yippee for us!!!:clap2:

I start my two week pre-op Medifast diet tomorrow. My Dr gave me a box with a two week supply that includes: chocolate, vanilla and strawberry shakes; banana pudding, apple cinnamon and peach oatmeals, chicken and Tomato Soups and chocolate bars. Each day I get a choice of any two Medifast meals and two Medifast Snacks, plus one low cal meat and veggie meal. I'm actually excited about it!

My husband is trying to lose weight and be supportive. So, he is doing a slimfast diet along with me. He's a great guy!

Best wishes to all my new Crazy Ate bandster buddies! :whoo:

Hi Pat,

The way my doc explained it to me was that there is bacteria in the gallbladder. If any of the bacteria gets out while they are removing it, it can cause problems with the lap-band. Since the lap-band is a foreign matter going into your body that could cause an infection I guess. I guess I can understand with it being put that way. I guess too it's up to the individual doc. Trust me I'd rather have just one surgery. That was the first thing I asked when I found out I had to have my gallbladder out too. I can't believe that surgery is already next Tuesday. it went so fast. When is your surgery?

I got to tell you guys,

I got my band yesterday and the hardest part so far was the pre op diet, that was harder for me than the surgery. There is hope!

After Surgery and even now not feeling hungry at all!

O and i did loose 18 punds in 1 week on my pre op diet!

Hang in there.

Last night was the LAST night of my pre-banding eating habits. My doctors don't prescribe any preop diet at all, so five days prior to surgery I can still eat anything I want. But I know it's a good idea to get on board, so I'm starting today.

Last night was Outback: steak, grilled onions, beer (YUM!!), salad, dessert. Oh, and popcorn at the movies. A wonderful last meal! But I am SO ready to say goodbye to stuffing my face; even a "small" steak at Outback was 8 ozs. I want to feel svelte and graceful again. I NEED MY BAND.

Day one of my two week diet: So far so good. The stuff tastes bad but I'm not banded, so I can just hold my nose and gulp it down. LOL I look forward to my one meat and veg meal a day. I feel a little light lightheaded today, but I also had a sleep study last night, so it may be from that. I CAN do this! Two weeks? We can do that. Right, pre-op dieters? :clap2:

Kathy, I am drinking those Protein Shakes too and I agree; they taste awful. Try putting a drop or 2 of vanilla or almond extract. They are bearable that way. I too am self-pay and it better be worth it. Hang in there. We can do it. Clara

here are my doc's guidelines:

FYI ONLY:this is the info provided by the Bariatric Clinic that i am using

liquid DIET GUIDELINES

PRE- WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY

1. Choose 3 "liquid calorie meals" per day. DO NOT drink liquids that contain more than 10 calories at any other time of the day.

2. Each "liquid meal" will consist of 1 cup (8 oz) of liquids that contains Protein and calories. (see options below)

3. Drink your "liquid meal" over a 30-45 minute period.

4. Drink only non-calorie beverages at other times of the day. It is important to stay hydrated.

EXAMPLES OF "LIQUID MEAL" BEVERAGE CHOICES:

· Skim or 1% milk

· Carnation Instant Breakfast (sugar-free) made with skim or 1% milk

· Ready-made liquid supplements (Ensure, Boost, Slim Fast)

· Yogurt smoothie

· Soy milk

· Creamed Soups

REMEMBER: The above liquids ARE NOT appropriate after you start eating foods again.

TIPS:

1. Try having low-sodium chicken broth to help you feel full

2. Eat sugar-free Jello or sugar-free Popsicles between meals, if you start to feel hungry.

3. Avoid places and social situations where food is the primary focus, or bring your liquid meal with you.

4. Stay busy

5. Avoid watching TV commercials--most of them are about food!

6. Ask a friend to try doing the liquid diet with you.

7. Drink plenty of non-calorie fluids. Keeping your stomach full of non-calorie liquids will help to decrease hunger.

To Pat, Kat, Marilyn, Kathy, and Candle and anyone else that is scheduled to be banded on August 27th - hey there----

I met with my surgeon today and signed the consent forms - very scary stuff as they listed all the complications that could happen but I Won't Let Them---

Have to start the Pre-Op diet tomorrow 5 to 6 sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfasts per day, sugar free Jello, popsicles, and broth - please pray for me because I am going to need all the help that I can get.

Hope that you are all doing well and please feel free to send any encouragement, complaints, etc. my way---

Take care,

Michelle:ranger: